Were U Surprised When Certain People Left The Organization?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Minimus, were or are you an elder?

I wish I had a way to find out if anyone who posts here is my old CO, who was just so smart and charismatic I can't believe he really believes it's all real.

Rachel

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

When I was still in I was surpised at certain ones who left who had been very prominent. Now that I'm out, I've found myself thinking about people who left and didn't come back during all the years I was a JW. There were several who were extremely intelligent, and I remember others saying they were too smart for themselves and that their intellect made them haughty. Now I realize they were really smart enough to see that the Witnesses had it wrong. I wish I could find some of those people now.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The ones who faded, well it happen so gradually after a while we didn't notice till we got to thinking about their absence. Me, well I was at a district convention shortly after my son Dak died, in part from refusing precious blood to save him. I told my JW husband I was divorcing him and leaving the JW's and I wanted my two sons to come with me. Well the two boys were too in shock to even make a decision at first. I stayed in the house 6 weeks more with my children's father, sleepin in my son Dak's room from that night on. I packed and put my things in storage, closed my business and kept telling my sons to come with me. My oldest son was 18 the month after I left so he started a new life. He had told me he was glad I left because he had wanted out. My youngest son stubbornly took sides with his dad till he experienced his Dad's up close and personal physical & emotional neglect over the next couple of years. In the end both my son left the witnesses and all the congregation talked plenty about the upheaval I caused. I had been a faithful witness for 30 years and in a brief short months totally came to realize it was baloney and nothing more than a cult. The shock of having one of my son's die for the blood teachings baloney snapped me out of my religious addiction to JW's. Yes I hope they still thinking about it. I know it made an impact. Today my youngest son is 20 and doing fine living near by finding his security with his Mom and Step-Dad.

Ruth McGill

Once in Asheboro, NC English cong.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

a guy I knew that was in a cong that shared our hall was one of the annointed and left. That was wild.

I was more surprised when I left

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I was surprised when certain people were DF, but it wasn't because they were leaving the bOrg. They committed adultery, or some other sin, but after a while were soon re-instated.

I'm still surprised that I left. Me, out of the whole freakin' family. Yet no one approaches me to find out what's going on, or what made me question everything. I guess keepin' up with the bOrg is more important for my family.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

I am sure a lot of people were very surprised when my husband was disfellowshipped. He had been an elder since 1945 (they called them servants then). He was cafeterial servant for the Spanish in So. Cal from 1960 until we left that area and came north. He was cafeterial servant from the time they built the new assembly hall in Yuba City sometime in the early 70s. He was on special committees and was never absent from a KH build as a painting and drywall contractor. He was always there, always doing for the witnesses, sometimes going several hundred miles taking care of some WT business. He stepped down from being an elder in 1981 over some foolishness foisted upon the congregation by an elder "friend" and then in 1983 began to fade. I stopped going early in 1983 and Joe kept going until it just got to be too much. He asked me to go to the memorial with him that year and I did, but it was to be the last meeting I would attend. He attended sporadically and then we were called in to a committee early in December and finally disfellowshipped on Dec. 24, 1983. We attended the District Assembly the next summer in Reno, NV. This was my sister's assembly. Joe said: "Why should be go?" and I said "They said to us that people who leave just seem to disappear, so let's go and show them we haven't". As we walked through the assembly hall, during the lunch break, it was like a wave of turned heads. My sister called me after the assembly and said: " I have questions to ask you. Did Joe ask to have equal time on the assembly? Has he started his own religion and is he part of Ray Franz' organization?" Made me laugh! Knowing how Ray Franz feels about organized religion, he would never start an organization of his own!!! I guess we were just too bold for their religious sensibilities. I guess most people would have stayed away.

Ruth,

I can see your "Jezebelian tendencies" too. This is what the elders told my DIL about me. Said I had pulled my whole family out of the "truth". I didn't realize how influential I was. hee hee We are the well-known local "apostates" in the Sacramento Valley.

The only down side of leaving the WT was the losing of all of our "friends" who we had held so dear for the almost half century we were JWs, and our family. Both our mothers lived with us and circumstances made it impossible for them to disfellowship even if they had wanted to (which I know they didn't) Our son died last November, but he and his family were staunch witnesses and we have not seem them from 1995 until this day. My sister and her family are still in also.

Many people we knew have left. Some due to the way they saw us treated. God works in mysterious ways and I know that we will see a lot more leave.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

When I visited my husbands parents in October They told me the wife of the Presiding overseer told her husband she was having an affair with her boss and was disfellowshipped. She was miss holier than though aways talking about how other weren't doing what they were suppose to. She never worked outside the home. Her husband started having some health issues and needed to work part-time and look what happened.

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, I was an elder for many years, Rachel. And I came from a prominent "theocratic" family. They still "pray" for me, everyday, as I understand.

• blondie
    blondie

When elders left, I was surprised. Of course, the gossip was less than reliable. I have since contacted some of them and the real story does not match the gossip. I bet there are some stories about Irreverent and I leaving.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Ruth: Happy Birthday! Great story, too. I am sending "agape" love your way because you are clearly a woman of principle.

Velta: We were at that assembly in Reno. However, we missed your own private "drama" but can visualize the scene. Yes, God does work in mysterious ways.

I imagine there was a lot of talk when wife and I left four years ago. We just stopped going. We are proud to be ex-pillars and have survived the loss of all our "friends" and adapted well to a new life. There is happiness and serenity after the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit