UK Charity Law Changes

by Paddington Bear 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

This could be good. The UK is a great place for getting stuff like this done. The next thing I want to see is CRB checks on elders and MS's as they spend too much tome with Children.

If you want to work in a school as a cleaner you need to be CRB checked and rightly so.

Why should elders and MS's have it so easy especially with their track record.

Off topic slightly but a similar thought.

• 5go
    5go

17. There may indeed be a case for the removal from the register of some existing charities for the advancement of religion. The beliefs of Christian Scientists and Jehovah's Witnesses, both of which are recognised by the Charity Commission, include a rooted objection to the use of blood transfusions, even for children who are unable to give or refuse consent. The Charity Commission may wish to review the charitable status of those churches and other institutions. The beliefs and practices of the controversial Unification Church should also warrant further investigation. So too should those of the Taylorite sect of the Exclusive Brethren, whose belief in the doctrine of Separation from Evil may also be seen as deleterious to society in that it prevents adherents from associating with those who do not share their beliefs, eg precluding them from joining Trades Unions or professional bodies and sometimes, it is said, causing children to be excluded from the family home.

• Paddington Bear
    Paddington Bear

Betsey:

It is not a "shamless repost"... That was posted in a few months back and I did not see it... As you can see from my posts (12 in over a year) I don't not use this board very much. Beleive me I have neither the desire nor need to plagerise!!

Calm down lad...

There is still consultation to take place on the supplementary guidence for sub-sectors including religion..

S EIGHT:

That was the main consultation on public benefit.. The will still publish further guidence on the subsectors (see 2.7 It says November 07 but it has been delayed untill Jan 08)

email from CC dated 21/01/2008 below...................

Dear Sir or Madam

Charities and Public Benefit

As someone who has requested to be informed of our further consultations on supplementary guidance for specific types of charity, we thought you might also like to be aware of the Charity Commission’s general guidance Charities and Public Benefit which has now been published. Copies of the publication can be found on our website at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publicbenefit/default.asp or obtained by contacting Charity Commission Direct.

This published guidance follows our Consultation on Draft Public Benefit Guidance which we conducted last year. We were delighted with the response that we had to the consultation. Nearly a thousand organisations and individuals responded. All responses were carefully considered and have informed the revisions which we made to the guidance. We are very grateful to everyone who contributed to the consultation.

Charities and Public Benefit is especially important for charity trustees. The Charities Act 2006 introduces a new duty for trustees to have regard to the Charity Commission guidance on public benefit. There will also soon be a new duty for trustees to report on their charity’s public benefit in their Trustee Annual Report.

As you are aware, we will shortly begin a series of further consultations on the supplementary guidance on the public benefit for specific types of charity (or 'sub-sectors'). Our first set of sub-sector consultations will be on:

• Public Benefit and the Prevention and Relief of Poverty
    • Public Benefit and the Advancement of Religion
    • Public Benefit and the Advancement of Education
    • Public Benefit and Fee-charging

We will notify you regarding each sub-sector that you have expressed an interest in as soon as we are in a position to proceed.

Yours faithfully

Patrick Smidmore

Patrick Smidmore
    Public Benefit and Status Policy
    +Woodfield House, Taunton, Somerset TA1 4BL
    : [email protected]

• bluesapphire
  • triplestrength
    triplestrength

Last Century, (always wanted to say that) I was the MS doing the accounts in my local cong.

I seem to remember that the PO said that EACH cong was a charity in it's own right. I'm assuming this is still the case. But it seems to me that the UK charity commission would wonder about this from a fairly small (overall) organization.

The paperwork from the commision was apparently quite onerous and if every cong in the UK had to fill it in and send it off to a deadline etc then the work for the Commision would be quite large for relativly small amounts. maybe their fed up with it all.

• belbab
    belbab

Paddy Bear,

Very interesting information.

I will endeavor to go through it more thoroughly if I can find more time.

I, too, was puzzled about the expiration dates for sending comments. But if there are areas for further input, please confirm the dates and why the deadline for some consultation are expired and what is the difference in the different times of consultation.

I do not live in England and most of us on this board do not. However I am sure that if some of us in other countries wish to submit suggestions, we can prepare them and send them to you or someone else over there to submit them.

belbab

• IT Support
    IT Support

Paddington Bear,

Thank you for that clarification.

• Paddington Bear
    Paddington Bear

My Understanding of it is that they will canvas questions on the Public Benifit Guidance that they have allready produced ( http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Library/publicbenefit/pdfs/publicbenefittext.pdf ) . This time they will ask questions regarding how this effects to the specific sub-sectors (i.e religions). You will not get the opportuntiy to ask your own questions but you can load the answers to the questions they give so that they go against the borg. From this they will produce suplimentary guidance for each subsector.

If you look at the questions they gave on the draft public benifit guidance, this may give some idea as to what they are going to do. See page 12 of the following document http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/library/enhancingcharities/pdfs/pbconsult.pdf .

I do not profess to know the ins and outs of the whole thing, but for me it is important to have a say....

The reason why it was delayed.... I do not know... It is just late... The consultation should start in the next month or so. What ever happens its worth having a look at it

taken form the guidance...

"This is the Charity Commission’s statutory guidance on public benefit.

The purpose of this guidance is to:

explain the requirement that, to be a charity in England and Wales, an organisation must have charitable aims that are for the public benefit;

raise awareness and understanding of that public benefit requirement amongst the public and the charitable sector;

explain how the public benefit requirement operates in practice; and

explain the new requirement for charity trustees to report on public benefit. This guidance deals with public benefit in general terms. It reflects recent changes in the law on public benefit arising from the Charities Act 2006. This guidance has been prepared following extensive public consultation. Separate guidance that explains the legal underpinning for the principles of public benefit set out in this guidance can be found in Analysis of the law underpinning Charities and Public Benefit on our website.

We will publish supplementary guidance, after further consultation, about how the public benefit requirement applies specifically to different kinds of charity. "

As they say this guidance is STATUTORY i.e the LAW..... Anything suplimentry should also be law also... If it goes to court this will be what they use to decide if a charity is a charity..

Anyway..... as I say I do not profess to know th in's and out's of this but it is worth having a say in what is happening.....

p.s... I know my spelling is bad so forgive me....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit