Mistaking another child for your own while shopping!

by kitten whiskers 5 Replies latest social family

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

We were out shopping tonight, buying a new bunk bed for our son. While we were there, we had the kids trying out the beds, they were laying on them and we were moving between two beds to compare, and I thought our daughter was still laying on the first one. I saw a child her size, same hair length and similar color, and just "assumed" it was her because she had just been lying there.
    This store also sells other items, and the child had a timer that started buzzing in her hands. I was walking past, thinking it was my girl, and I reached into the bottom bunk and grabbed the timer in her hands to shut it off, saying as I did so, "Child...what are you doing?" And SURPRISE, the face of someone else's little angel was looking at me! OMG! I just about died! I told her how sorry I was and laughed about it while my husband and daughter, looked at me like I was a crazy woman! She was such a cute kid, it didn't even phase her. Our daughter on the other hand was upset at me for mistaking someone else for her! I admit it has happened twice this week! Earlier I was pickling her up at school and saw a girl with a coat and backpack identical to hers, and the same length and style haircut. She was twirling around and around, so I couldn't see her face. Then my daughter waves at me. She is not in her coat and I was totally surprised! I thought I was already looking at her. Needless to say she's pretty mad at me for that.
    I remember as a small child mistaking others for my grandfather or mother in the store.I was knee high at the time, so pants color is about all I had to go on until I craned my neck up to look at the face. But this is totally surprising to me! I just had to share. I thought it was funny.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I've done this several times with my youngest daughter (18) who is about 5'7" and has straight blond hair. A couple of girls around my area walk like she does and it is so distracting when driving past. Now she has her own car though she walks far less so it's the car I look out for!

• zeroday
    zeroday

Simular story:

When I was about 5 years old I was in a department store with my mother, she turned a corner and I lost sight of her. Frantic I raced up and down the isles looking for her then I spotted her, her back to me I ran up to her and rapped my arms around her legs I looked up to my horror and it was not my mother just then my real mother showed up...

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Oooh that would have been funny.

Have you seen the Calvin and Hobbs comic where Calvin gets separated from his parents at the zoo?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

It's so hard to do head counts all the time. I always have 2 or 3 other kids with my 3. I always answer to Mom, whether it was one of mine or not. And I always get their names mixed up and they come out as one long name. I wish we didn't have the open container law, I need a drink after every outing!

momz

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Zeroday- OMG! That is exactly what happened to me, except I thought it was my grandpa in the grocery store!

Abandoned- I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes, but I don't remember that one. I'll have to keep my eye out for it the books!

R.Crusoe-Augh! Driving! Don't terrify me!

momscrazy- how about some tranquilizers for the kids instead? How in the world you take on six at once makes you superwoman in my book. My two are enough! I have problems adding one more to the mix!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit