How did this article miss mentioning JW's?

by RisingEagle 7 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Great. The Wall Street Journal did an article yesterday about a pastor at a baptist church having a woman arrested for trespassing after she had been 'shunned' for spreading 'poison' within the church. Thanks WSJ for giving the gb new ideas:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120061470848399079.html?mod=hpp_us_inside_today

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, I read the article and fully expected a reference to the org.and was somewhat surprised they didn't mention it.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Now, why in the world would the Wall Street Journal publish this? Maybe we need to write to the Journal oursleves and enlighten them.......

NMG

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Actually, no mention of JW's would indicate that they are viewed as one of the insignificant religious groups and in many countries have never been heard of.

This probably surprises us who are, or have been, Witnesses.

We all thought the world was standing up to take notice of our message. But that's what we told ourselves.

• Gopher
    Gopher

JW's are still too minor a group to merit mention every time a major religious group misbehaves.

This article focused on two things the JW's don't even do:

1) Banning a shunned member from the worship center

2) Revealing the reason the ex-member is being shunned (although I do know how fast gossip travels in JW circles)

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Bigmouth and Gopher: You both make excellent points, thanks for pointing those out.

• whereami
    whereami

Come on!!! This is right up the WTS alley!!! They wrote the book on shunning. Someone needs to write to the paper about this.

• DT
    DT
    Someone needs to write to the paper about this.

I emailed the author. Her email address is right at the end of the article. I just thanked her for the informative article and mentioned that I am also being shunned as a former member of Jehovah's Witnesses. It would be nice if some others could write too. I checked out some blog posts on the article and it's receiving some criticism for being biased. Apparently, some think that the article should have mentioned all the positive results that come from church discipline.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit