Any1914ersAlive?

by R.Crusoe 3 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Reading on the other thread about the gran who knew of Rutherfords 'House Claimant', wouldn't it be excellent to get family to chat to any JW old timers about odd beliefs they once lived with or odd experiences they can recall. It may be quite a list?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

In our old hall there was a woman that has been pioneering since the 20's. No kids and her husband passed away in the 50's. She still goes out when she can and cooks breakfast for the pioneers a couple times a week. She's a great old lady. I think her dad and husband left her money and she lives in the house her and her husband bought in the 30's. She is so loyal though, she would never complain about the borg.

momz

• Mary
    Mary

There's getting fewer and fewer all the time. 1914 is 93 years old now, so most of the people born of that time, have passed on. My grandma was born in 1908 (d. 1998). She used to listen to Rutherfraud on the radio and in fact, that's how she came into 'the Troof' in the 1930s. When WWII started, she was told that that was "the beginning of The End" and if she wanted to make it through Armaggedon, she better hurry up and get baptized before it was too late.

My mom and my uncle were very upset when they could no longer celebrate Christmas, Easter or Birthdays and had to suddenly start going to to the Hall for 5 meetings a week. The brothers and sisters told my grandma (and I assume, everyone else at the Hall), that they needed to be at every single meeting, so that WHEN (not 'if') the governments turned against them, they would need to know where their next secret meeting was going to be. It was also a good idea to start storing up cans of food to have something to eat during the Great Tribulation, Armageddon and immediately after. I guess Jehovah was going to destroy all the grocery stores to make sure He got all the unbaptized people out there.

Here's something that's funny in hindsight: I don't know how many were told this, but my grandma was told that Jehovah 'manuvered' the Orson Wells' War of the Worlds scare of 1938, "to prepare" the Chosen Ones for what lay ahead. LMAO!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

That is funny Mary and reminds me of an older brother whom I was knocking on doors with in the 80s. He had been a soldier in WW11 and due to some JW influence at the time had deserted in France but ended up in Germany - not the best place for a British national!

Anyhow, he had revisited JW life in the 70s and so there we were with this guy opening he door and telling us he was a Catholic to wish this brother responded with a warning that meteorites and flames from above were at the ready like a set of nuclear warheads aimed at every church of Babylon the Great!

Now I was no lurch and having done some study relating to Revelation realised this was way off line and so proceeded to argue with this brother!!

You have never seen a look on a householders face like it!!

If that guy didn;t already think JWs were nuts when he opened the door, his closing it sure left him more sure of himself!

My thoughts were that there must be a whole lot of old ideas out there in peoples heads from way back about borg life that will soon be lost and it would be an interesting perspective to know the minds of JWs over the last century and what exactly kept their focus! May help people to also see that maybe Jesus hadn't arrived since he changed his mind so much about what the FDS was serving as divine food!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit