How Would a JW Answer This Question? Opinions, Please.

by GoddessRachel 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I was thinking to myself this morning and came up with this question:

If Jehovah God is so merciful, why would He punish his people because of apostates?

My thought process was that the end hasn't come because it is some kind of a test to see how faithful his people can be. But how is that loving or merciful? And why would he continue to test people like my family, who is hurting because so many of their children and their friends' children are "leaving the truth." If it was actually real, why wouldn't Jehovah just save his broken people?

I guess I think the JW's feel like the broken shells of people that they are is somehow proof of being persecuted by Satan. I think it's proof that it's all a farce.

What do you think?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Not only that Rachel but many have got difficult family situations largely levied on them or causing lasting rifts or communication barriers due to the whole shunning psychology they have been indoctrinated with as well as the distancing techniques employed by them in dealing with the whole of humanity outside of their beliefs. It imposes behaviours many can never overcome within the family circles when anyone chooses to move on.

So as well as many other consideations, restrictions are in place which actively work against people trying their utmost to move on. The holistic world they build around ex JWs is very damaging and they know it and will tell you so - you are dead meat unless you do as they say!

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Thanks for your post, R. Crusoe.

I'm asking this question because I'm trying to discern what my JW family might say if I were to pose this question to them???

Thanks!

Rachel

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

bttt

Please help! This is important to me. (Maybe I need to learn how to write more compelling thread titles...)

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

An apostate is to follow the directives of Gods unique organisation! It is led by the one and only force that has been in existence for all time!

Baptism is a key turning point which cannot be undone! And having commited your life to God, he has now given His spirit to you! So if you decide to not do as His organisation advise in all things or persuade others not to, you are going against divine will. You are now making alleigance with the rebellious spirit of satan. Unless you reform you will be considered 'satan class'. You may be sinning against Gods spirit which is unforgiveable for all time, but they will be reluctant to conclude this and give you a clause to return and fall in line. There is no leeway on this model of life they inflict on families!

Any family must still show you due consideration for the time you must live together e.g marriage or dependants, but will in no way condone any of your non-JW humans who you befriend. Family must adjust to the notion in their emotions that you likely will not be accompanying them into Gods world in the next life!

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

R. Crusoe, I can't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that since Jehovah's Witnesses can't think for themselves this isn't a question they would even entertain? Or am I missing your point...

Here's the question:

If Jehovah God is so merciful, why would He punish his people because of apostates?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I can't quite catch the drift of your question.

I read it to mean:

If apostates were still viewed as friends and so not shunned and rejected as I point out, why would God punish them?

So the outline I gave you explains that they are of the satan class - which is what God is doing away with according a book called The Bible.

Which is why the circular reasoning of The Bible and those who impose parts of its content cause so much suffering to those enticed into baptism, not aware of the reality awaiting them either in or outside the JWs!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I think I understand what R.Crusoe was saying. It's similar to something an ex-JW said to me about my situation.

I never joined but I studied with JWs. They gave up the studies with me because I asked too many questions and was taking too long (apparently they only get 6 months!). I was puzzled as to why they keep bringing the mags and anything else I ask for until this ex JW told me that those folks now have a sort of 'duty of care' or responsibility to me - unless I tell them that I personally release them from that duty (prolly meaning telling them to put me on a DNC list!), effectively they believe that my blood is on their heads because they've failed me in some way by not getting me 'saved'.

I guess if its that serious for a non-JW like me, it's probably incomprehensible if a family member becomes 'apostate'

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Thinking further about what I wrote above

If my releasing them from responsibility for me is going on the do-not-call list,

would the equivalent releasing from responsibility of an 'apostate' be to DA or DF?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Rachel,

By "punish", do you mean let them suffer the loss of their loved ones to "Satan's wicked system", or do you merely mean extending the length of this old system?

My thought process was that the end hasn't come because it is some kind of a test to see how faithful his people can be.

Is this reasoning something your JW family believes? I thought JW's taught that Jehovah has a fixed date in mind for Armageddon, and that by now Jesus already knows so that he can "gear up" for the great battle.

And why would he continue to test people like my family, who is hurting because so many of their children and their friends' children are "leaving the truth." I guess I think the JW's feel like the broken shells of people that they are is somehow proof of being persecuted by Satan.

Actually this "test" is coming from the organization's policies about avoiding or even shunning family members who don't adhere to the Watchtower's current doctrines.

I think it's proof that it's all a farce. What do you think?

Yes, it's a self-inflicted persecution complex. The farther away you get from the JW organization, the more clearly you see that their hurts are self-inflicted, and that people generally try to avoid them because they have a reputation for being narrow and exclusivist. Try to be a friend with a JW -- and you'll keep running into things they can't do because their religion prohibits it. The WTS has built an artificial wall around its followers to screen them off from normal interaction with other humans. Those inside the wall then cry about "persecution". Go figure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit