YMCA=apostasy?

by TweetieBird 21 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

dont know how the law stands on employer/employee confidentiality
    concerning accountants but I was under the impression theyre not supposed to discuss clients details,
    the accountant might not say anything anyways especially if they
    value their business
    nelly

• Englishman
    Englishman

The Watchtower said: Yes, that is so. We have long recognized that the YMCA, though not being a church as such, is definitely aligned with the religious organizations of Christendom in efforts to promote interfaith.

Re the alignment thing, can anyone else see a parallel here.

Good grief.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• roybatty
    roybatty

ISP,

Yeah, techincally they didn't even need to have a jc. But since the local elders are nuckle heads, I thought I'd play around with them. The PO called me up and asked if what my then wife told him was true, that I had joined the YMCA. I said yup. He said "Ok, we'll get back to you." (At that time I had stepped down as an elder and stopped going to the meetings for several months) So about 6 months later he calls and sets up the first jc. I go and meet with these three guys. We go over the 79 WT article. I start to explain to them why I feel that the YMCA is isn't a church but rather just a place that families go to exercise. Obviously they weren't going to side with me, so after a short dicussion I was df'd. I appealled. Not sure why. Trouble just to be irritating. A couple of months later we had another jc. The elders at this one were a little shaper. We discussed the YMCA (is it isn't it a church) etc...etc. Then one the elders said "You know, this whole jc isn't even needed. By joining the YMCA you da'd yourself." I said "Duh" and asked if they could wrap things up because Monday Night Football was going to be starting soon. So they told me I was da'd.
    Funny thing is, by this time I had belonged to the YMCA for almost a year, coached a WHOLE bunch of differnt teams, and all the while my JW family had no problem associating with me. Then when I was "officially" da'd *poof* nothing. Not even a hello. Sad religion that these people sell their lives to.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'd love to see this situation happening today with the whole "aligning" oneself with the UN. I seriously doubt you would be disfellowshipped. With that line of thinking, what are they going to do about the UN thing? Disfellowship the governing body?!?! Hahahahaha!

Andi

• ISP
    ISP

Yeah Billygoat....after the UN fiasco...and the WT on voting...I can see a lot more of a laid back view on YMCA stuff! To me there is little wrong with going to the YMCA for leisure purposes. I am not aware of any invasive religious message from YMCAers! Perhaps the opposite is true!

ISP

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I really wish they would approach me about it so that I could ask them if they plan on disfellowshipping the GB for aligning themselves with the UN, no matter what their reason for doing so.

I seriously doubt if I will be turned into the elders. In my area, usually a silent marking goes on, you know, word of mouth type stuff. I will be shunned without officially being announced. That already happened to us when we started missing the majority of meetings.

I know of a brother who threatened a lawsuit if they disfellowshipped him, so it's just been passed along from one to another in the different congregations that "he is apostate but they can't announce it because he threatened to sue the society."

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• roybatty
    roybatty

Recently I wrote a letter to the Society asking if there was a new understanding about the YMCA since the WT Society had itself joined an organization (the UN thing) that itself condems. Haven't heard from them. I'm sure that mine is in some trash bin with thousands of others.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Interesting quote:

"The Watchtower said: Yes, that is so. We have long recognized that the YMCA, though not being a church as such, is definitely aligned with the religious organizations of Christendom in efforts to promote interfaith."

Hmmm.. The WT always claims to want Religious tolerance and freedom (well, when it applies to them that is).. I wonder what would happen if a lawyer ever heard about 'promoting interfaith' in the negative light given here????

Oh well, just food for thought (NOT to be confused with food given at the proper time <ROFL>)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    This is recorded in our check book and each month we send this information to our accountant (a JW) who sees a debit for the YMCA. What do you think will happen?

Dunno, but I'd think about getting a new accountant. And if he does turn you in, I'd suggest you get a lawyer and sue his hind quarters off for breach of confidentiality.

Tom
    "The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

• Makena1
    Makena1

Sorry to say, but there HAS been new light on the YMCA thing.

It is no longer considered a religious organization - now the JW caveat is that:

"You can get yourself clean, and hang out with all the boyz"
    Y - M - C - A..........

;)
    Makena
    too much time on my hands today - posting fluff at will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit