I spun my car on black ice!

by digderidoo 4 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

On Saturday morning i went to work at around 10.30. After a particularly cold night here in the uk there were still patches of ice on the roads. Driving my volvo740 estate with ladders on top i hit a patch of black ice on a narrow road. The back end spinning to the right, i immediately corrected and then hit another patch spinning to the left narrowly missing several parked cars. The excitement kicked in and i was transported back to 1989.

...driving my XR3i THE ultimate boy racer car i was driving in a convoy, racing through the shropshire countryside, spinning to the left and right. travelling at 80mph around bends never put my foot on the brake, but accelareting through the bends. I was michael schumacher, colin mcrae, ayrton senna all rolled into one....

Straight away i wanted to turn around and drive up that road again. But alas the 37 year old in me woke up and off i trundled to work in my volvo with ladders on top.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Must be a guy thing. I used to love to go fast but I liked to be in control when I was going fast. Going fast out of control on ice? Not so much.

Sherry

• chickpea
    chickpea

glad to know the end result was a trip down memory lane and not a trip to hospital!!!

two experiences with black ice that were not even mine...... one was traveling behind a vehicle on a 2 lane highway that hit a patch and swerved into the other lane, hit the snowbank and FLIPPED..... holy caca did that get the adrenaline going..... i saw a service vehicle ( not THAT kind.... a delivery type truck) in the opposing lane pull over so i just noted the mile marker and proceeded to the next town to call emergency services.....( rural area so no mobile service) no one was injured... seat belts!!.... they were suspended above the ragtop of their jeep!! WHEW!!

the second was a call from my son who had been on his way to work and had been BLOWN across a bridge with black ice and high winds.... road crews couldnt keep salt on the road because of the wind...... he spun thru two lanes of on the opposite side and hit another patch that spun him back to his side and into the concrete barrier .... i drove to the scene to see how i could help him and at the intersection where i had to turn to go to the bridge all i could see was the lights from emergency vehicles.... 7 of them on one end of the bridge.... my heart !! omg was it racing..... at any rate i had to drive past my son's car, which was on the other side, plus a 3 car and a 4 car pile up on MY side..... there was a huge SUV emergency vehicle parked behind his little subaru and all i could think in my head is >>>> where is he? where is he? where is he?.... no fatalities but several injuries .... just as i was getting him off the bridge they closed it to traffic til the winds died down

thankfully, he was uninjured, just very shocky.... ( so was his mama).... the subaru had to be removed with a flat bed as it was undrivable

i tell ya i hate black ice!!

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Yikes. Isn't that a treat to do by accident?

Yeah, 'let's do it again, it's so fun. . .wait I have to get to work and if I wreck my car. . .'

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

last year, I noted the van that passed me was coming buy me in the center lane of the expressway. By the Grace of god, I took the lead spot in a 20 car pile up and drove out of the mess.

Black ice ..even wet roads require dilegent driving. Slow down.

glad your OK.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit