Do JW's avoid adopting pets because the end is just around the corner?

by JH 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

Since a cat or dog can live up to 15 years or more, and most JW's think that the end is less than 15 years away, what's their thinking on this? Will they avoid adopting a pet because of this?

I remember thinking that my cat would survive Armageddon because I was a dub....

• DJK
    DJK

I could get a cat or a dog today and repair or replace the furniture they destroy and clean up their poop until the big A.

Or, I could kiss a giraffe, comb the mane of a lion and scratch behind the ears of a bull elephant after the big A.

Very tough decisions for a JW don't you think?

• steve2
    steve2

I once had a cat who followed the Watchtower's injunctions far more successfully than I did. His feline example showed me up big time. Witnesses said to me at the time, "Why can't you be like Tiddles and keep attending meetings?". I could take it no more. I got rid of the cat not because Armageddon was coming, but because it wasn't and I was sick of the competition for approval.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Some avoid having pets because the time involved in caring for pets would detract from the amount of time available for field service. Excuse me while I hurl...

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My JW mom adopts every stray cat that comes to her door. Always has. I doubt she has ever thought about them as regards surviving Armageddon.

momz

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

It may be just me, JH, but I honestly don't think many JWs believe that the end is around the corner anymore, as their very lives bespeak. Quite a few are settled in the JW's religion, definitely with no feeling of urgency : either they routinely go about their business, being JWs out of habit, or they endeavour to get the best out of their lives, no differently from what "wordly" people do. In any instance, a supposed impending end has, IMO, no bearing in whatever decision they make in their lives. As far as adopting a pet is concerned, living in a large place, being able to take the pet along on holiday, having children, suffering from allergy or not, for example, and of course liking animals, seem to be more determining factors in the choice.

• JH
    JH

Well, I'm a pet lover, and if I was still going to meetings and believeing that the end was any time now, I wouldn't go adopt a pet, knowing it would break my heart being seperated from it during tribulations.

• zamora251978
    zamora251978

I agree with the time thing. My mom wouldn't let us have pets we had one dog but my mom got rid of it. I had two hamsters and they died shortly after. My mom ran over my kitten and my ex-husband ran over my dog Buki. I loved him so much. Anyway, Now I have 3 Chihuahuas two birds, and a hamster. I want a couple of goats though so we are thinking of buying some land.

lulu

P.S.-I actually convinced my parents into getting a chihuahua. I think she reads the watchtowers.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I love pets too and if we've got only a cat at home (white mouse is buried in the garden, having died 2 weeks ago "being old and full of days"), it's only because we can take her on holiday , more conveniently than a dog.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit