IP adress

by vitty 11 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

What happens when you move location ? does your IP change or is it your personal computer number and it stays the same wherever you are ?

Yes I am that thick

• golfhl
    golfhl

your IP changes at different locations, even your IP changes at you home if you have a dymamic IP, but that depends on you ISP

• Finally-Free
  • changeling
    changeling

I wondered about that too. I checked my posting history and my IP address stays the same even though I post on two different computers.

changeling

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    my IP address stays the same even though I post on two different computers.

Are both computers on the same network? If so, the site is more than likely recording the public IP of your default gateway, or your proxy server if you're using one. I have 7 computers at home, and I can post from all of them and the site will record the same IP address - that of my firewall, not the IP of my computer.

W

• Odrade
    Odrade

I post from home and work, and have two different service providers. Thus, two different IPs. Also, every few months or so, the IP changes. If you use a dynamic IP, it could be different everytime. There are several service providers that use batches, so if a forum were to ban a specific IP, for instance, it could affect a whole range of members who post from that particular service provider.

Incidentally, the number/letter combo at the bottom of your posts is NOT an IP, it's an encryption.

An IP address looks like this: 45.345.345.11

If you have a real IP address and want to look someone up, depending on their security, you could conceivably find a person. However, most Internet Providers are smarter than that, and provide a measure of security along with the service. For instance, a person with MY specific IP address could determine that my provider is in Oregon, who my internet service provider is, that I have a "highly anonymous" connection, that I do not use a proxy server, and a map stamp will put you down about 3-4 miles from home. The packet that comes through with my husband's work email says he's in Colorado. (I'm pretty sure that's not true, cause there's a guy in the other room that looks just like my husband...) So it's clearly not foolproof.

If you look through the archives here, there was a very LARGE, LONG witchhunt that went on about 3 years ago, where it was discovered that a number of well-known posters had the same encrypted IP "identifier" at the bottom of their posts. It turns out that they were not all "THE SAME PERSON", which I'm certain the webmaster/site owner knew, but was not generally understood by parts of the membership. Some of these members use AOL as their internet provider.

From AOL:
    AOL Members' requests for internet objects are usually handled by the AOL Proxy system. When a member requests multiple documents for multiple URLs, each request may come from a different proxy server. Since one proxy server can have multiple members going to one site, webmasters should not make assumptions about the relationship between members and proxy servers when designing their web site.

This means that if you use AOL and are from about the same area, it's highly possible that you will have the same IP identifier.

Thus, those little numbers at the bottom of the posts are NOT a reliable way of identifying imposters.

• VM44
    VM44

This website has capability to check the user's current logged in IP address against a database of known addresses from which the user has logged in from in the past.

There also appears to be some capability to be able to detect a specific user when they visit the site even before they log in!

• Odrade
    Odrade

And regular posters DO NOT have access to that function. Thus, the encrypted IPs are not any kind of proof of imposters.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Not to mention the fact that there are "toys" out there that let you change / hide your IP address as you please (see next post)...

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

See :

My post above has the "encrypted" IP of o/pTsa+JMwte9cxJ

I have changed it so now this one has the "encrypted" IP of m81EOCkbpdzS8hEB

But as has already been stated, these "IP addresses" on this forum are disguised by the forum algorithms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit