Jehovah's Witnesses and the UN..again. I'm in a quandry.

by isnrblog 12 Replies latest jw friends

• OMG! Now What?
    OMG! Now What?

I don't go to meetings anymore, nor do I get the magazines, but the following is an except from the August 1, 2004 Watchtower:

"...Despite all of this, has the United Nations organization, established in 1945, proved to be a government that is able to bring genuine and lasting world peace? No, for self-interest and nationalistic aspirations of its member nations have frustrated many of its efforts. The public’s impression, in the words of one newspaper editor, is that the UN is no more than "a kind of barometer of global opinion" and that "its agenda is full of issues that have been debated for years with little if any progress towards solution." The question remains: Will the nations of the world really be united someday?"

Hope this helped a bit. Sorry I don't have the current version of the WT library.

• OMG! Now What?
    OMG! Now What?

I hope I'm not changing the subject here, but while still researching the UN on the WT CDROM library, I came across this article in the WT 3/15/2001

I don't remember reading this, but it sure is interesting and possibly an answer as to why they joined as a NGO. They apparently wanted to be part of the gang of religious entities involved, possibly for making the WT look better or something.

It's also interesting how brainwashed we were because as I read it, it reads easily and I find myself engrossed in the content instead of asking questions, still. One such question would be: How would the WT know and be able to quote someone who gave an opening speech at the Summit? They never say a representative of the WT was there, but they just make the article just seem like more propoganda where in fact, it is written as a first-hand account of the events there.

This should be added to "the things that make you go Hmmmmm".

WillReligionBringWorldPeace?

FROM August 28 to August 31, 2000, more than 500 representatives from 73 countries converged on New York City. They met together at the United Nations for "The Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders." The leaders—many clad in turbans, saffron-colored robes, feather headdresses, or long black cloaks—represented a multitude of faiths. Among these were Baha’i, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, and religions of Christendom.

The delegates met at the United Nations for the first two days of the four-day conference. However, the conference was not organized or funded by the United Nations but by various foundations. Nevertheless, both UN and religious leaders spoke of the importance of working together to bring an end to poverty, racism, environmental problems, war, and weapons of mass destruction.

The delegates signed a document entitled "Commitment to Global Peace." While acknowledging that violence and war are "sometimes perpetrated in the name of religion," the document declared that the signers would "collaborate with the United Nations . . . in the pursuit of peace." There were, however, no specific resolutions indicating how this might be done.

On the second day, Bawa Jain, the secretary-general of the summit, concluded his opening remarks by explaining that some years earlier he had noticed a certain painting at the United Nations. The painting depicted a man taller than the United Nations Secretariat building. He was knocking on the building as if it were a door. Below the picture was the caption: "Prince of Peace." Mr. Jain said: "[The picture] had a deep effect on me the moment I saw it. I asked different people what [it] meant. I think today I have the answer. The gathering of you all here, the spiritual and religious leaders of the world, demonstrates to me that [this] is the prince of peace knocking on the door of the United Nations."

The Bible presents a different view. It shows that the Prince of Peace is Jesus Christ. He will bring global peace, not through the efforts of this world’s political or religious leaders, but by means of God’s Kingdom. It is this Kingdom—God’s heavenly government—that will successfully unite obedient mankind and cause God’s will to be done on earth.—Isaiah 9:6; Matthew 6:9, 10.

• LadyCCC
    LadyCCC

If a publisher were to do that, they would be either reproved or disfellowshipped

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit