2nd AA meeting. Would value opinions

by digderidoo 40 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks for everyones response.

Been off line since i firsted posted, I havent disappeared. Will have a good read later today, but thanks for your support.

Paul

• JK666
    JK666

Paul,

Keep up the good work, friend.

John

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have heard that some AAer's can be very preachy and even go so far as to accuse anyone who has a drink of being an alcoholic "in denial". That would be pretty hard to take, for too long, for me. Especially the advice to fake it. I faked it for 20 years in the org. I am not faking anything for anyone ever again. So, I don't recommend you fake it.

But I do recommend you stay, for now, because you are 7 days sober and that is the most important thing, at this moment. And tell them honestly how you feel if you want. It is a support group after all. Go ahead and tell them your JW and God issues. Why not? Get it out of your system. It's better than having a drink. I believe the reason AA works is not because you have to believe in God or a higher power. It is is because you admit that what you have been doing no longer works for you and you need to change what you are doing and you need help doing it. It is not so much who helps, as that you accept help from outside of yourself. It is the support.

In the meantime, while you are staying put and working the program, you can be checking out other groups in addition to your AA group. Visit them. Get a feel for what works and is positive for you. When you find another group, AA or something else, that works for you and is a positive support, then switch groups. Just don't switch, before you have that alternate support in place.

Hope this was helpful

Cog

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

AA is another High Control organisation. As long as you remember this you might be OK.

Type "AA cult" into Youtube to get some idea of what it's ex-members have to say.

The main points are that AA is not the only way to give up, and that AA is not infallible.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

keep an open mind ..find a group you like. the steps work... some folks need a higher power thats conventional, others dont

AA kept my Grandad alive long enough for me to get to know him.

~Hill

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Just had a chance to have a good read of responses and pms. Ive got my kids for a couple of days and they are hogging the pc!

Thanks everyone for comments. I guess these posts have made me realise i dont have to accept everything that is said at the AA. I can leave some stuff there and take what i need back home with me. From the JW stance everything you here at the KH you have to accept. May be that was what i was doing on Wednesday night.

On a positive note i am still sober. I went to the doctors yesterday to ask for a blood test to see if i have any liver damage. My main worry is that because of 12, 13 years of heavy drinking i may have caused some internal damage. So i told the doc everything and he has referred me for a blood test which will cover many ailments associated with heavy drinking. Not that i have pains now, although i have done, it is better to know for sure.

I will keep posting here as i find it to be supportive, whereas when i used to post here many years ago there was alot of anger between a few posters that really overtook the site.

Ive got to get to work now but will log back on on Monday after my kids have gone back to their moms, may be i can get to the pc then!

Paul

• JK666
    JK666

Paul,

The liver is a pretty tough organ. It will actually do a nice job of repairing itself if it isn't damaged too badly. The only problem is if you were to go back to drinking heavily, it can reverse itself quickly. I have seen it happen.

Good luck,

John

• restrangled
    restrangled

A.A. Preamble

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover form alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

A.A is pretty specific about what it is and what it is not. As long as you have it clear in your mind and align yourself with people who have actually read, understand and practice the 12 steps and 12 traditions, you will do just fine.

Congratulations on your new found sobriety! Best wishes on your journey.

R's Hubby

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I don't think I have mentioned this here before so its a first:

But yes I went to one about 18 months- 2 years ago. I had no idea it was even going to mention the "god" thing so my stomach revolted instantly. I stuck with it for the hour, and listened to the people talking and I just thought I did not want to be one of them. No doubt many of them were very successful, I lived in the stockbroker belt of the country and you could tell by the cars etc. But they were just the most miserable bunch of people I have ever had the misfortune to spend time with and decided right then that I would rather die a bit younger having partied a bit too hard a bit too often than a) fake a belief in God - thats what got me here in the first place!!! or b) be that tightly wound up that I couldnt see beyond self discipline and control.

So I didnt stay for coffee - I winked and said I was Mormon and headed off to the offy for a bottle of wine and then wrote about it at length in case I ever felt tempted to reconsider.

For everyone it has worked for I do not disrespect them or the system at all. I just wish there was one which focussed on the fact we have the strength and power within us to do anything. We come equipped. Sod the god concept. I also wish there was one which concentrated on finding other outlets, other sources of joy, allowing us to see beauty and feel love without needing to be half cut first, to break through the inhibitions and fortresses we have surrounded ourselves with for the sake of self protection.

• david_10
    david_10

((LearningToFly)) Your post was very touching, and I hope you're over the hump. Hang in there.

David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit