How do Bethelites ''fade'' from the WTS while serving out their contract?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Let's say you decide to fill out an application for Bethel service. You are approved and sent to Haiti. You hate everything . The food, living conditions,fellow workers and months later doughts that ''maybe it's not the truth.''

How do you ''fade''? Are you asked to leave if questions are raised about you? Can you just resign?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hmm. How about a little vacation, and then, you don't go back? While you're on vacation, get diagnosed w something or other. Read up on symptoms and stuff. As soon as the doc names something, bingo, then spread the word. Rumors travel fast.

S

• changeling
    changeling

Bethelites don't go to Haiti, missionaries do, and first they have go to Glilead.

I would imagine that if you find yourself in the foreign field and want to leave you would be free to do so, but you'd have to pay your way home. Once there, you'd be up against the same issues the rest of us face when "fading".

changeling

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I don't know how much control they have over your personal effects when you get sent overseas, but I would always keep just enough for a ticket plane home hidden somewhere.

I'm much too paranoid to let that sort of detail slip out of my control....

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

You would have to pay your way home and then try to execute a fade. It would be impossible whilst "in an assignment" surely? I know someone who did this. He was a missionary, returned home and "drifted" out the truth. He's since made some pretty public outspoken statements but has never been disfellowshipped. Go figure!?

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

I think it would be funner to make some "comments you will not hear at the Watchtower" at each family study..... That would likely get you sent somewhere....

• belbab
    belbab

Let me tell you a real real heavy experience.

Back in about sixty-one I was sent to Pakistan as a missionary, arrived in Karachi in 104 degree heat after a five week freighter trip from cold New York. I contacted a high fever after a few days. I was stuck in a Seventh Day Adventist hospital for a week alone, while all the other JW went to an assembly 800 miles away at Lahore.

I was sick and depressed all the hot summer. When the zone servant came in the fall when the heat was diminished, he said the next day I had to go out in the service with him, two hours door to door, take him on two or three back calls where I had never returned. Take him on a back call where I could start a Bible Study, take him on a Bible study. This was in a Muslim country, where, since the days of the British, only one Muslim had been converted (not babtized) to Jaydom and he kept his religious associations clandestinely.

I groaned inside, I told him I couldn't do it.

No discussion with him, no questions asked or encouragement.

Within a month I got a letter from Nathan Homer Knorrs office, stating I was a disappointment to the Society, turn in my badge (missionary regulation booklet) and leave the missionary home.

Not a cent in my pocket, we only got seven dollars a month spending money and room and board.

I survived there for another year on my own. Finally my old congregation, lent me some money to return home on another slow freighter.

I found out later that when the WT sends out missionaries, they have to sign papers stating that they are responsible for their missionaries and if they get into difficulty they will take responsibility for them and pay their way home.

I have a hard time writing this post.

For years I never revealed my trials in Pakistan, not even to my wife that I married some 15 years later.

I still have stuff I do not even want to talk about.

Bye,

belbab

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Belbab,

that is so sad. Talk about beating your fellow slaves. I hope they get their just reward

• Satanus
    Satanus

Belbab

Sad story. I can only imagine being abandoned and marooned like that. In edmonton, we had a bro who had spent some time in pakistan. If remember his name, i'll maybe pm you. How much longer did you stay a dub, after that? 'Course, as a jw, you naturally blamed yourself.

S

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

Sorry to hear about what happened to you Belbab.The Society uses people up until there's nothing left and then they throw them away."Disposable Servants" seems to be their thing.If they feel there's a hope they can get something out of someone without a lot effort then they'll do so.But, as soon as someone seems reluctant, they'll chuck them to the side and move onto someone else."We have better things to do.", is the way they view matters.I've know so many Bethelites that came home depressed and frustrated, almost seeming like they were going to burst or leave the org....but eventually, they just talked themselves back into going along with everything as most do.Of course, it's the same with Missionaries and Witnesses in general.It's a very sad situtation and the Society is responsible for so many lives being messed up while they get drunk on power.I seem to recall someone saying, "I want mercy and not sacrifice", guess that doesn't apply to them.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit