Sound Familiar

by free2beme 6 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

My sister-in-law's roommate and her are both Witness woman who are in their 30's, never married, Witnesses and lonely. While I feel sorry for them, I have long since been telling the family that they should not have such a narrow view of available men, as the world is a big place. Something that is very irritating to Witnesses, to hear. Saying that marrying outside the Lord is a mistake. Like no mistake can be made in the congregation. Well, never been kissed, never been loved can make for really stupid mistakes when you mix it with Jehovah Witness thinking. So seen anything like this ...

Last week she went on a chaperoned date with a man who just moved in from California, who divorced his wife for leaving him for another man and claimed he beat her. He was an elder at the time, and the elders said he was innocent and since she had sex with another man, she was disfellowshipped and he is here to start a new life. Well that was December 21, 2007. His divorce is final next week and they told the family they are getting married in February. Why? They love each other, right?

Personally, I think he is a wife beater who got off as there was not Witnesses to prove it to the elders and they are just a couple of horney older lonely people about ready to jump in to a pit of snakes with no boots on.

Seen this before????

• Cc81
    Cc81

word for word sounds like what happened to my sister..... she was single forever... met a guy who had been divorced. His wife cheated on him so that he would divorce her. (He had been beating her and verbally abusing her throughout their marriage) Elders never did anything about it.... it was her only way out : ( he moved to our area.. met my sister and started dating her literally 2 months after his divorce from his wife.. dated my sister and within 6 months they were married. and the cycle began again. ohh if only she had listened to me : (

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yes, unfortunately

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

yeah my sister married this "brother" after a year of being divorced. he was also recently divorced and new to the hall...They only went out for 6 months and then were married. The marital bliss lasted a few years and now they are seperated cause the guy is a real looooooooooser!!!!!!!!!

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

The same year that I left my husband, a sister in the neighboring hall did the same thing. She cheated on her ABUSIVE husband so he would permit a divorce. She was disfellowshipped and 3 months after the divorce was final, he was remarried to a 21 year old (he was close to 30) pioneer sister he met at an assembly.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I don't know whether to or to .

So sad, these cases.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Well that was December 21, 2007. His divorce is final next week and they told the family they are getting married in February.

According to WT rules, they shouldn't be dating at all yet anyway:

w684/15pp.255-256QuestionsFromReaders***

Questions

FromReaders

?

IhavebeenreadingTheWatchtowerforafewmonthsnow,andIwouldappreciateyourcounsel.RecentlyIsuedforadivorceonwhatIunderstandtobegroundsthatareinharmonywiththeBible.IsitScripturallywrongformeto"date"orseektheattentionofoneoftheoppositesexotherthanmyex-matebeforethedivorceisfinal?—U.S.A.

It would first be good to have fixed clearly in mind what the Bible has to say about divorce. According to God’s Word, the only ground for divorce that frees one for remarriage is adultery by one’s mate. (Matt. 19:9) Jesus did not say one can divorce his mate if he ‘strongly suspects’ that adultery was committed. There has to be real evidence of adultery, such as the mate’s confession, or proof that the mate stayed all night with a person of the opposite sex under improper circumstances.—Prov. 5:8-11.

A legal divorce obtained where there is no proof of adultery might end a marriage legally, but in God’s sight it does not free one for remarriage. (Mark 10:9) If one got a legal divorce without proof of the mate’s adultery, remarriage would amount to adultery in Jehovah’s eyes. We read: "Whoever divorces his wife [without evidence of adultery] and marries another commits adultery against her, and if ever a woman, after divorcing her husband, marries another, she commits adultery."—Mark 10:11, 12; compare Matthew 19:9.

Now, assuming that one actually has a Scriptural basis for the legal divorce that is being obtained, he still is not in position to "date" or "court" someone else if the divorce is not final. He is still married. Divorce laws differ from place to place. In some lands and states the parties to a divorce action are completely and legally free immediately. In other places the divorce does not become effective for six months. In yet other places, the divorce does not become final for quite a period, such as a year, after a temporary or interlocutory decree is granted.

Concerning this last type in one state, a lawbook says: "Interlocutory decree is entered after trial if the court finds that a divorce should be granted. . . . This stands for one year, during which time the parties are still husband and wife. . . . The final judgment restores the parties to the status of single persons." Thus a period of time is allowed in order that a reconciliation may be worked out, if that is possible. If that fails, the parties become legally free only after the final decree has been entered.

In the case giving rise to the question, the divorce has not become final, so both parties are still legally married, and the court is allowing time to see if they can be reconciled. So it should be obvious that one in such a position is not free to act as if he were a single person able to "court" and marry another person. To do so would only be courting trouble, both legally and Scripturally. (Heb. 13:4) Only after a divorce becomes final, and a final decree is entered, if that is necessary according to law, will one be at liberty to act as a single person and be free to remarry.

One in this circumstance who is interested in doing what will have God’s approval would do well to note what Jehovah has counseled about marrying, in case he wants to remarry after the present marriage ends legally and Scripturally. God commanded his servants that they should not consent to a marriage between a true worshiper and one who did not worship Jehovah in accord with the truth of his Word. (Deut. 7:3; Neh. 10:30) Marrying an unbeliever can lead to God’s disapproval, as it did with King Solomon of Israel. (1 Ki. 11:4, 9) God’s Word says that true Christians are to marry "only in the Lord," or only other true Christians. (1 Cor. 7:39) Though that limits one’s association with marriage in view, it can work to one’s everlasting good by helping one to secure a place in the paradise that God will soon establish on earth.

By continuing to study the Bible and Scriptural publications one can learn what Jehovah’s will is and how one can serve Him acceptably in company with his Witnesses. At present, the questioner is yet a married person and should resist any temptations to develop emotional attachments to some single person. And if after the divorce is final he is interested in remarriage, he should be sure to seek a mate who will serve Jehovah faithfully. Such a course will have heaven’s blessing.—Prov. 10:22.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit