Holy spirit bears witness with them....

by The Scotsman 4 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Howdy folks

Had a chat the other day with an elder who lnows JWs all over the world and he was telling me that in a U.S. cong a sister has just decided she is one of the 144000 - she is 41 years old. In the same cong a brother aged 55 has recently decided he is one of the immortals as well.

They both claim that the Holy spirit has bore witness to them.

What do you think such ones are actually feeling? I do not doubt they are feeling something inside that is making them "think" they are anointed.

Is it all in the mind??

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I know of a sister in my former congregation who started partaking several years ago when she was about 40 years old. She is a die hard avid Bible reader and pioneer. All her conversations wherever she is at always ties in to the Bible. She is rather nice and pleasant. Still single though and moved to a foreign language congregation recently.

I wouldn't say that she fits into the typical JW mold per se, as she often gets into debate discussions about the scriptures with the elders and she often writes to the Society about scriptural matters. What develops from them, who knows? The elders pretty much stay clear from her. Perhaps of her extensive Bible, Greek and Hebrew abilities. She is quite independant, but respected at the same time. Personally, I liked her ways.

Nobody really started murmuring when she did start to partake. It was kind of a given when she did.

Holy spirit bears witness? I suppose so.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Its a funny one isnt it? Its the only thing the WBTS cant regulate because they have left it open that 'you just know, because the holy spirit tells you'. So that means that they cant tell someone they are not, but they sure as hell can frown a lot and gossip about how they dont SEEM like one of the annointed.

I think its a system thats bound to attract loonies and delusionals. Its like god sanctioned mental illness to me. Because lots of mentally ill people think they were characters in history, and its never a scrote or a pauper or someone who died in the plague, its always someone really important like Jesus, Cleopatra, Napoleon! To me, thinking you are one of the 144 000 is the JW equivalent of thinking you were Pharoah in a past life.

When I was a JW I felt like such a nobody it would have never occured to me to think I was anything as important as a member of the annointed. Maybe it takes a certain kind of self assurance to think you are one.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, if you read the NT, the only hope is to go to heaven and rule with Christ. It seems to me that if someone says they're Christian, that would be the logical conclusion. The WTS has distorted the NT and the Christian life as the Bible describes it. It all depends if the person listens to the holy spirit and God or to humans (WTS). The WTS has put itself in the position of Christ on earth making many jws afraid to admit to seeing that going to heaven was the only thing offered to Jesus followers. Who are the rank and file more afraid of displeasing, God, Jesus or the GB in NY? It's a difficult decision and I don't think that those who have a heavenly hope have to be delusional.

Of course if a person doesn't believe in God or that the Bible is inspired, believing about going to heaven is just a part of that and if you think people who believe in God and/or the Bible are delusional........................

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Its all personal, if we are christians and followers of Christ, then we have been anointed with holy spirit so to speak, There is no just 144,000 that's just al load of BS put out by the society so that they can separate themselves from the rest. If there truly was just 144,000 so called discreet and faithful slaves then there would in fact be input from all of them, not just a few people there in Bethel, the majority of which aren't "anointed" at all. I had pointed this out to an elder some years ago and he responded with Eph. 4:11 and 1Cor. about all being a different part of the body. I told him if they really believed that they (the society and their counter parts the elders) wouldn't be expecting all people to be out in the ministry because as you pointed out, Eph. 4:11 shows not all but only some are this and that. Well he just shut up and told me I was being unreasonalbe and I pointed out to him, that no I wasn't unreasonalbe it was him and the Society that was being unreasonable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit