ANY happy memories at all of growing up as a JW?

by myababes 24 Replies latest jw friends

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

It is kind of strange, but in my case, I don't have many complaints about growing up as a JW... Maybe I was "lucky" of having the parents I have.

My parents weren't that "hardcore", although they still are strong believers. (My dad is an Elder too). They never bothered me with the music I heard, or the movies I liked. The only moments when my dad became "strong", was when the CO was visiting (He was a real ass***). I went to college and did an Associate's degree. From certain point of view, I was kind of "normal" for non-witnesses.

On the other hand, I think I behaved too well . I took the moral standards quite seriously. I married my best friend @ 24 years old, and have been happily married for the last 10 years. Never smoked, no premarital sex... Kind of boring for some people!!!

My only problem now is that I don't believe anymore in the WT, but all my family and friends are in. That makes fading very difficult for me...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the best memory lately has been getting a phone call telling you that the meeting has been cancelled.

I was not born in, but I have noticed a definite trend. During the late 1980s and early 1990s, there would be occasional events. Sometimes, a pavilion in the park would be rented and we would play sports and other things, with music (albeit bland) playing. There were quite a few gatherings arranged by families during that period.

Then, about 1994 or 1995, I noticed the change. No longer were there any picnics or gatherings of that nature. The activities following sessions of the Grand Boasting Session gradually ground to a halt. It was now all about sitting in the car, finding a place to eat (in your suit, with your badge of embarrassment still on), and then finding your room for the night.

With the late 1990s, they have noticed that people are using the Internet as a substitute for physical gatherings. And, they go and crack down on that. They cite the apostates that could infiltrate those sites (which could in fact happen, but more likely someone that joins the site could later turn apostate). And now they are totally cracking down, citing MySpace and Internet Bible study groups as being particularly bad.

Now, the typical witless lifestyle consists of little more than boasting sessions set at regular intervals through the week. Field circus dominates the in-between space. Studying for talks, preparing for the boasting sessions, and that weekly "Bible" study dominate. Gone are recreational trips to camping or hiking, sports, being able to play a game that does not have those damn Watchtower trivia cards, or just plain making a Christmas snowman. Notably, all this banning of entertainment has been going on since the beginning of the 1980s.

And, I think it's going to get even worse. It is only a matter of time before they take the last pockets of normal life away. You might see coffee being banned. You might see them enact and enforce strict guidelines about breaks, and demand strict accounts about how each 15 minutes in field circus was spent. They might even do away with breaks altogether. They might also start enforcing having everyone getting up at 5:30 in the morning, no matter what, to be at the Kingdumb Hell for street work and finishing at 1:00 AM or later the next morning with letter writing. All free time will be totally scoured out of the lives of the witlesses. All that will be left is constant, high pressure salesmanship. I am just waiting to see Kool-Aid articles or letters to this effect, or hounder-hounder visits cracking down, or Grand Boasting Sessions where they do away with those nuggets of normalcy.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I've got great memories...I really think my parents raised my sisters & brother the best way the could. We always had get togethers or fish frys at our house. Every year us kids had parties where we all got gifts. Every summer, while out of school, there was always a group of us that would go to parks, go swimming, go to amusement parks, and spend weeks at the beach. Always had a blast! When I got older; my best friend & I were always together. She was 10 years older than me. I had graduated high school a year early and did not have to work, so we would pioneer together, which always consisted of stops at the mall or going out to eat & movies....What a blast we had!! I really miss those good times....

My BFF then ended up going off to Bethel with her husband. I would fly to NY every few months and stay with a great Greek Family in Brooklyn. What a blast they were!! They would always throw such great dance parties and have a house full of people. I'll always cherish those memories and staying in New York and all that we did...

Now I'm doing the best I can to make wonderful memories for my son...

• Gregor
    Gregor

In 1953, We took a long road trip from Southern California to the NY convention with Grandad, Grandma, Dad, Mom, my 5 yr old sister and me. I was 7. In those days you could camp alongside the road. On the way there we took the southern route, all the way down to Miami and then up to NY. Coming home we traveled the northern part of the country, Detroit, Chicago, Yellowstone park. Lots of camping and fishing along the way.

• Serg
    Serg

I couldn't have said it better myself, if you don't have priviledges or are not "helping" in the cong. you are basically out on your own, sink or swim.

Me, I prefer to just get out of the water. Screw that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit