Pharaohs heart? - NWT or NKJV

by evergreen 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• evergreen
    evergreen

In Exodus 4 vs 21 according to the NKJV God told moses that "I will harden pharaohs heart, so that he will not let the people go".

Also Exodus 7:3 "and I will harden Pharaohs heart, and multiply my signs and wonders in the land of egypt".

These scriptures seem to suggest in NKJV that God purposely hardened pharaohs heart, which would in turn allow him to bring about the plagues in Egypt so that the world would know that he was the true God of the earth.

Yet, reading the NWT the same scriptures read - EX 4:21 "As for me, I shall let his heart become obstinate;

EX 7:3 "As for me, I shall let his heart become obstinate, and I shall certainly multiply my signs and my miricles in the land of Eygpt"

Thus giving the impression that, That God would simply allow Pharaoh to stubbornly refuse the Israelites to leave Eygpt.

In thinking about this, it would probably make more sense that God did indeed harden Pharaohs heart, considering the fact that a) the Egyptians were a very superstitious race, And b) Even the most stubborn of people would have allowed the Israelites to leave after about 2 or 3 plagues, considering the ghastly nature of the plagues affecting the entire land of Egypt. To withstand every plague right up untill the final plague which brought about the deaths of all the firstborn among the Egyptians would seem to be beyond normal.!

So which translation is more accurate? Any thoughts?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos would be better to answer this question than me, as he has a better understanding of Hebrew and may know if there is an idiom that allows the NWT rendering, and the NWT often employs renderings that are technically possible though improbable. But AFAIK the piel in 'ny 'chzq 't-lbw in Exodus 4:21 has an active factitive sense, i.e. God shall put Pharaoh's heart in the state of being hard/firm. The verb has the same sense in Ezekiel 34:16: "I shall strengthen the one who is sick ('t-hchwlh 'chzq)", i.e. God shall put the one sick in the state of being strong/firm. The sense that God would allow Pharoah's heart to become firm (of its own accord) may instead be expressed with ntn + infinitive or participle, e.g. "I did not let you touch her (l'-nttyk l-ng` 'lyh)" (Genesis 20:6), "God allowed him not to hurt me (l'-ntnw 'lhym l-hr` `mdy)" (Genesis 31:7), "Yahweh has refused to let me go (l-tty l-hlk) with you" (Numbers 22:13), "He will not allow your foot to be moved ('l-ytn lmwt rglk)" (Psalm 122:3), "I have allowed you to grow (nttyk k-tsmch) like a plant of the field" (Ezekiel 16:7), etc. But I am not sure if this usage would in fact be the appropriate way to express the thought of God allowing Pharoah's heart to become hard.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

FWIW, here is what the Society says in defense of their translation:

***it-1 p. 857 Foreknowledge, Foreordination ***

Likewise, according to many translations, God advised Moses that he would "harden [Pharaoh’s] heart." (Ex 4:21; compare Ex 9:12; 10:1, 27.) However, some translations render the Hebrew account to read that Jehovah "let [Pharaoh’s] heart wax bold" (Ro); "let [Pharaoh’s] heart become obstinate." (NW) In support of such rendering, the appendix to Rotherham’s translation shows that in Hebrew the occasion or permission of an event is often presented as if it were the cause of the event, and that "even positive commands are occasionally to be accepted as meaning no more than permission." Thus at Exodus 1:17 the original Hebrew text literally says that the midwives "caused the male children to live," whereas in reality they permitted them to live by refraining from putting them to death. After quoting Hebrew scholars M. M. Kalisch, H. F. W. Gesenius, and B. Davies in support, Rotherham states that the Hebrew sense of the texts involving Pharaoh is that "God permitted Pharaoh to harden his own heart—spared him—gave him the opportunity, the occasion, of working out the wickedness that was in him. That is all."—The Emphasised Bible, appendix, p. 919; compare Isa 10:5-7.

• evergreen
    evergreen

Thanks for that leolaia

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So as I expected, there is some sort of rationale that the Society gives for the rendering. I do however doubt its applicability. First of all, there is a mismatch in the lexical semantics of the stative verbs chyh "live" and chzq "(be) strong" in the purported parallel of Exodus 1:17 and 4:21. Both are fundamentally stative verbs that secondarily express changes of state (i.e. "become alive, enliven" in the case of chyh and "become strong, strengthen" in the case of chzq). In Exodus 4:21, the piel imperfect clearly expresses a change of state as the NWT itself indicates ("I shall let his heart become obstinate"). But in Exodus 1:17, there is no real change of state in the case of keeping someone alive or preserving them, so the factitive force may be weak as it is in this passage (see especially 1:22, where the female children are singled out from extermination; cf. also Genesis 12:12, Numbers 31:18, 2 Samuel 8:2, Jeremiah 49:11, etc.) or strong as it is in Genesis 6:19 (where Noah acts to preserve the seed of the animals), Genesis 19:32-34 (where the daughters of Lot act to preserve his seed), 1 Kings 18:5 (where Ahab and Obadiah act to keep their horses and mules alive by finding grass for them), etc. It is rather a matter of maintaining the state in the face of possible change. The nuance that the Society mentions thus pertains to the stative sense of the verb; one does not necessarily have to act to keep the state going but only permit the state to continue on its own.

But the same verb could also express a deliberate change in state, cf. the piel imperfect in Deuteronomy 32:39 where God acts to make one alive (just as he kills, wounds, and heals, all similar changes of state), the piel imperfect in Nehemiah 4:2 which has the Jews reviving the walls out of the ruins, the piel imperfect in Isaiah 7:21 which has a man nourishing a young cow, etc. It is this pattern that nicely fits the usage in Exodus 4:21, which has a piel imperfect verb that expresses a change in state. So it is a little odd that the parallel is sought with a use of the verb that has mainly stative force. Indeed there is a good parallel between God acting to make firm Pharaoh's heart and God acting to revive (i.e. the change-of-state usage of chyh) the heart of contrite persons in Isaiah 57:15:

Exodus 4:21: "But I will strengthen his heart ('ny 'chzq 't-lbw) so that he will not let the people go".
    Isaiah 57:15: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite (l-hchywt lb ndk'ym)".

While this is more causative than factitive (i.e. hifil instead of piel), it shares with Exodus 4:21 a verb that implies a change of state and has "God" as the actor and the "heart" as the thing that is acted upon. So going back to the verb chzq, we could compare the piel imperfect in Ezekiel 34:16: "I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak ('t-hchwlh 'chzq), but the sleek and the strong I will destroy". This does not mean that God would merely permit the weak to become strong on their own accord, without any action on God's part. The sense clearly is that God would impart strength to these people, just as he would act to destroy the strong and bind up the injured. See also Ezekiel 30:24: "I will strengthen the arms (chzqty 't-zr`wt) of the king of Babylon and put my sword in his hand, and I will break Pharaoh's arms". Here the piel has the factitive force of bringing about a new state of strength in Nebuchadnezzar's arms (reinforced by the reference to God actively putting a sword in his hand), a state that brings about the breaking of Pharaoh's arms. And while chyh allows the piel to express a state that continues through one's action or inaction, I can't find a similar usage with chzq. The passages that semantically indicate a state that actively maintained seem to usually involve the hifil (cf. the sense of holding something fast in Judges 7:8, Job 2:9, etc.), not the piel which involves a change in state, and I can't find an instance of someone allowing or permitting a state of strength/force/firmness through inaction. But I could be wrong here.

So why doesn't the NWT say "I will let the arms of the king of Babylon become strong" (as opposed to "And I will strengthen the arms of the king of Babylon", NWT), or "I shall let the weak become strong" (as opposed to, "the ailing one I shall strengthen", NWT), or any other case where the verb has factitive force? Why is Exodus 4:21 parr. a special case? Could it be that there is a theological Tendenz on the part of the translators that found the text troublesome? The passage as it stands is sometimes thought to present an exegetical problem when it comes to the issue of free will. As it reads, it could suggest that God may interfere with a person's free will (tho this is not a necessary interpretation, as there is no similar issue when it comes to God enlivening the hearts of the downtrodden in Isaiah 57:15). It is thus possible that the NWT translators and Rotherham appealed in this case to special pleading to make the apparent problem disappear from the text.

Anyway, that's my guess based on my (incomplete) knowledge of the factitive use of the piel in Hebrew (the other uses don't seem to be relevant). Maybe Narkissos or Alleymom or mebaqqer could add to or correct what I've written.....I would be really interested to know if there has been a study of the semantics of the different stem forms of chyh (e.g. qal versus piel versus hifil in the active/stative paradigm) that comments on the usage in Genesis 12:12, Exodus 4:17-21, Numbers 31:18, 2 Samuel 8:2, etc.

• Shazard
    Shazard

My pastor explained this (and He is one of the best Latvian hebrew scholars) with parable. It is like puting cup with water outside in winter. It frozes into ice, but freezing is not activated by one who puts him outside, but because of default state of things! It is like God removes his grace from Pharaon and consequence is immidiate - Pharaons heart becomes hard. So actually cause of his hearthardening is Pharaons evil soul, but this becames possible when God removes his grace! Most important lesson here is that it is not WILL of God to make ppl evil. But sometimes he uses evil ppl to demonstrate what sin is! He is free to do so, as law allows to punish sinner. It is grace of God which renders sinners alive, not some law or our quality! And actually the thing is terrible fact, that God can kill you by removing his grace and you will die in your heart in your sin and consequence for others to see will be your evil deeds against God thus prooving that God was rigth in diagnosing your sin!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Little to add to Leolaia's excellent analysis.

The causative/factitive function of the pi`el is actually pretty frequent. Joüon (§ 52c) notes similar cases with active/intransitive verbs, yld (qal to give birth, pi`el to deliver, for a midwife); lmd (qal to learn, pi`el to teach); and stative/intransitive verbs, 'bd (qal to perish, pi`el to put to death), qdsh (qal to be holy, pi`el to sanctify/hallow); gdl (qal to be large/big/great, pi`el to make large etc., or to raise a child). Similarly k`s pi`el, to cause anger, qn' to cause jealousy. Where there is hesitation, as Leolaia pointed out, is for chyh (to keep alive or to bring to life), but also zkh (to keep or make clean), str (to keep hidden or to hide).

It is also noteworthy that Exodus also uses the hifil of qshh as parallel to the pi`el of chzq, e.g. 7:3; cf. also Deuteronomy 2:30; Joshua 11:20; Isaiah 6:10; 63:17 where very different Hebrew expressions carry the same basic idea, namely that Yhwh causes human "evil". And of course Paul's Greek commentary on the Pharaoh's story, hon thelei eleei, hon de thelei sklèrunei (whomever he wants he pities, but whomever he wants he hardens).

In sum, Hebrew syntax appears to be a very poor pretext to explain away an ancient way of thinking (not only of speaking) which causes understandable uneasiness to modern translators (and readers).

• 5go
    5go

The whole Exodus account begs to many questions.

Why did God bother with Pharaoh in the first place? Heck, Why did he bother with Moses?

Why didn't God just tell the Israelites "Hey you Israelites pack your things we are leaving tonight!".

Which leads to another question - Why did he put the Israelites in Egypt in the first place?

If it was to show himself through miracles - Why didn't God just preform miracles back in Canaan?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Shazard....If you look at the narrative of King Saul in 1 Samuel 10-19, you will find another example in which Yahweh's agency is more explicit in the story, where there could be little doubt that more is involved than a withdrawal of God's influence. In 10:9-10, we see that "God changed his [heart] to another heart" (w-yhpk-lw 'lhym lb 'chr) by bestowing "the Spirit of God upon him" (`lyw rwch 'lhym), enabling him to prophesy. He was accompanied with other men "whose hearts God has touched" ('shr-ng` 'lhym b-lbym, v. 26). And Saul's heart turns to anger through the same aegis; "the Spirit of God came forcefully upon Saul and he burned with anger" (w-ttslch rwch-'lhym `l sh'wl w-ychr 'pw m'd, 11:6). But when Yahweh rejects Saul as king, he no longer sends his Spirit but rather an evil spirit to punish him: "Now the Spirit of Yahweh (rwch yhwh) had withdrawn from Saul, and an evil spirit from Yahweh (rwch-r`h m't yhwh) tormented him" (16:14), such that "an evil spirit from God comes upon him" (`lyk rwch-'lhym r`h, v. 16) and would leave when Saul is consoled by David's harp-playing (v. 23). But when "an evil spirit from God came forcefully upon Saul" (w-ttslch rwch-'lhym r`h 'l-sh'wl), he then was provoked to kill David with a spear (18:10-11). Then again, Saul takes an oath not to ever kill David (19:6), then Yahweh sent another evil spirit to Saul, and again Saul tried to kill David (v. 9-10). In all of this, God is not a passive participant but actively sends either his Spirit or an evil spirit to influence Saul's behavior.

Narkissos....Thanks for the comments, and especially the additional examples (zkh and str), and the reference to Deuteronomy 2:30...very interesting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit