Me And Funerals!

by Frenchy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I made a remark recently about funerals being sore spot with me on the thread FUNERALS. This is in response to Sunspot’s request for my experience with funerals. It would probably take less time for me to just write it again than to look it up…LOL!

Sister A was the first person in this area to begin studying. She raised a family of four girls and two boys, all of whom became witnesses. They were poor people who had to struggle just to stay alive. She was married at twelve years old and lost a son of that age to tetanus. Things were very hard in those days. A doctor was someone you went to when you were dying. The ‘truth’ appealed to her because, like so many of us, it gave us a hope we would otherwise not have. My mother began studying and they became friends. As poor as Sister A was, we were poorer and she had to pick us up and bring us to the hall that was about twenty miles away. I’ve known this lady all of my life.

In time, two of the daughters and both sons got df’d. The older of the sons stopped smoking and was eventually re-instatated. Although he was a big, burly man, he had a bad heart and the doctors told her that he did not have long to live. This saddened the old lady considerably as you can well imagine. She would be soon losing another one of her sons. Meanwhile, her oldest daughter’s husband developed serious respiratory problems as a result of having worked around chemical plants and he was told that he was not long for this world. Sick as he was, however, he gave her trouble to no end for the few times her df’d daughters and son would stop by to check on her and visit for a while. This was taking a toll on the old lady as well.

In time the son-in-law died and although he had caused her great grief over her children’s visits, he was her daughter’s husband and she was greatly saddened over his death. A few months after that she gets a phone call that one of her next to youngest daughter just dropped dead of a heart attack. The old lady was plunged into more despair. This daughter was disfellowshipped and she knew that the funeral would be a problem and that most of her lifelong ‘friends’ would not even come.

A few months after that she is told that the doctors have done all they can for her oldest son and that he is dying. I was still an elder in the congregation at the time and she asked me to do the funeral. I agreed, naturally. This lady has always been a happy person even though her health has been failing her these last few years but now it was very difficult to see her with a smile. She had lost a son-in-law and a second child and now a third child was soon to die. About week after having been told that her oldest son has only a matter of days left to live she gets a phone call that her youngest son has just been killed in a traffic accident in another state.

I went over to her house after her and her daughters came back from attending to the arrangements for having the body brought back home. I’ve never seen anyone more distraught as she sat there, exhausted from crying. I hugged her and stayed with her until she finally went to bed to rest. She asked me to do the funeral and I told her I would although I expected some resistance to my doing this since the man was df’d.

Just a few months before that, an elder in a nearby congregation had done the funeral for his disfellowshipped step-son who had died of a drug overdose and no one had said a thing about it. I knew the family and I attended the funeral as well.
    I expected some token objections and that’s all. I was wrong. Word spread like wildfire and by the time I got home one of the elders was on the phone telling me that I should not do the funeral. I called the C.O. and explained the situation to him. He told me that I was not to do the funeral and that I should ‘explain’ to the family why it was the loving thing to do.

I had to go back to the family and tell them that the Circuit Overseer would not allow it. I didn’t try to make any excuses because I was angry as hell over the whole matter. I simply told them: “They won’t let me do it.” They accepted it as though God himself had decreed it. The family got a minister from ‘Babylon the Great’ (a woman at that! Sorry, girls ) to do the funeral. Some of the witnesses (about half of our congregation did not even show up) asked me why this woman preacher was doing the funeral and I replied that the Society would not allow me to do it. Again, the response was simply, “Oh.” And they walked off.

The old sister has a lot of family who are not witnesses and the funeral home was packed with these people. They, however, were not as understanding as the witnesses. A lot of them were asking how come her preacher wasn’t doing the funeral for her son. The witnesses did not get a very good witness that day. What little respect any may have had for us was soon lost by that episode. I went up to the preacher after the funeral and thanked her for what she did. I don’t think any of the other witnesses did, however.

My wife had cooked a huge lunch for those who wanted to visit Sister A after the funeral. There were just a few people there, however. Some of the relatives went over to her younger daughter’s house because the younger daughter, being df’d, was not allowed to stay and comfort her mother. The few witnesses that did come would have been offended by her presence. It was a pitiful sight inasmuch as some of the relatives would go from one house to another in order to attened to the younger daughter as well as the two other daughters and the mother.

The old woman was exhausted. One of her grandaughters is a nurse and she gave her a mild sedative. It wa obvious that the lady would soon collapse anyway. They led her off to bed and just as they closed the door, the phone rang. The oldest son had just died. Sister A hobbled back into the living room crying again. She looked at me and asked me just how much a person was supposed to be able to take. I had no answer.

I did the funeral for this son because he was in good standing at the time. That only confused the worldly relatives even more, that I would do the funeral for one of her sons but not for the other. The whole thing made me sick. It was the last straw for me. I had seen what the organization thought of its members and how it valued what it percieves to be its image in the community to be more important than an old lady who’s world was falling apart. It was then I decided that I had had enough.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

That is so incredibly sad and maddening to think about.
    Very similar is a recent experience that left me feeling very embarrassed about my faith. I guess it helped me leave though, along with several other incidences.

My grandma died in good standing, having been very sick for several years, yet when it came time for a service the elder called said they could only do some sort of very simple service and definitely no meal afterwards since one of her daughters who was disfellowshipped would be there.
    My aunt, who is handicapped and living at home, said she didn't even think of asking them for a meal, that she just wanted to do the right thing by her mom and have a nice service. She asked him what the disfellowshipped daughter had to do with anything since it was a funeral for her mom. She was so shocked by the lack of love and support that she didn't really know how to react. Her exact words were, "I was afraid that by calling the witnesses that they would want to do too much and bombard us or soemthing, I didn't expect this"
    My grandfather was so upset when he saw her looking humiliated while on the phone that he said they didn't want it at the hall anyhow.

It took the morning of the service for that elder to grudgingly apologize (this was after several phone calls from relatives and friends about where they should send flowers).
    Too little too late if you ask me. Nobody except one older lady that had been friends with her showed up at the house and the other elders used the "don't let one man stumble you" excuse when they showed up. (where were they the other days when she and grandpa were trying to prepare the arrangements?)
    My grandpa told them (being distraught, you don't cross the man) that if they ever showed their faces on his property again that they would be meeting his fist in their face. Actually, he said worse, but it's too bad to put in words for me. ;-)

I used to constantly worry about what would happen to my nonjw husband if he died. Would I try to get the elders to talk at his funeral? Would I let his mom insist on a Catholic funeral? So many things like that to think about.

That poor woman though. To not have the support of her kids, dfd or not, was evil. To dismiss her feelings to keep up the right appearance and to obey their traditions and rules is pure evil. It makes me very sick to think of how I could possibly have ever believed they were God's chosen people. UGGH

• Xena
    Xena
    It makes me very sick to think of how I could possibly have ever believed they were God's chosen people. UGGH

Me too Pierced Angel! Me too!

Sorry to have brought back such hurtful memories! Their callous treatment of family members is disgueting isn't it? Thank you for sharing your stories although I am sure it was painful to relive them!If nothing else, rest assured, it helps to strengthen my resolve to never go back and to do everything in my power to help others leave this "religion"!

• metatron
    metatron

Obviously you don't understand how the Watchtower is
    actually refered to in the Bible!

Matt.23:4 "they bind up heavy loads and put them upon the
    shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to
    budge them with their finger".

You see, it's their job to be heartless and oppressive, emphasizing
    rules over mercy and crushing the weak.

I wrote a post not long ago about this very subject. I
    am disgusted with Witness arrogance at weddings and
    funerals - everyone else must bend and kowtow to them
    and their sensitivities. Witness elders will hypocritically
    deny the use of a Kingdom Hall to a couple that isn't good
    enough - but attend the reception and gobble their food.
    - and if the father or mother of the bride is df'd, well,
    they can't eat with anyone in the room or none of us are
    coming!

A funeral you say? Often no elder will show up to
    say anything at the funeral of someone who left the
    'truth' - so a "worldly" minister has to fill in.
    Of course, that doesn't stop any loudmouth JW from
    finding fault with the ceremony - in front of mourners,
    forcing THEM to apologize for any offense.

The only good that comes out of these ugly affairs
    is more exposure about how miserable and intolerant
    Witnesses can be - further warning "worldly" relatives
    to have nothing to do with it.

metatron

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Truly Awful People.

Good 'ol JW's, they never change, except to get worse.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

It took me a long time to realize that 'the truth' was not. There was the case of an old couple that lived a few miles from the hall. The old man was baptized but he only did it because his wife (dear, sweet sister) insisted on it. One day he was hit by a car and was promptly taken to the emergency room. She called me to tell me that her husband was (GASP!) telling the doctors to administer blood to him! She was besides herself so another elder and myself rushed over to the hospital. I asked him if he knew what he was doing and he said yes and that if it meant his life he would take the blood. The doctor looked at me and said: "That's good enough for me. Will you two fellows leave the room?" That was that. I convinced the other elder that the old man was under extreme duress and we presented it as such to the body and I was able to convince them that the old man should not be df'd. Sometime after that, I did his funeral. There would have been no one to do it had he been df'd and I did not want to put that burden on the sister.

The sister was understandably very distraught over the loss of her husband and particularly disturbed over his taking the blood. I did my best to reassure her and tell her that the man may not have had his right mind at the time. I hope that it gave her some measure of comfort. Later she was diagnosed with cancer. I went to the doctor with her to help soften the shock but she took it real hard. She asked me to do her funeral and I agreed. She died a few months later, after I was no longer serving as an elder. One of the elders rushed over to her sister’s house and told her that he was the one that was designated to do the sister’s funeral and she agreed to let him do it. He didn’t want me doing it (although he knew that she had asked for me) because I was no longer an elder. I was not able to fulfill my promise to her because I did not want to make a scene with the family.

Sometime after that, an elderly brother who was suffering from a stroke died. He had asked that I do the funeral and although this brother tried hard to muscle in, the unbelieving wife of the brother insisted that her husband wanted me to do it. It irked that elder to no end to sit there and watch me do the service. It was definitely NOT the Society’s outline that I used and it was not a ‘recruiting’ service either. Some didn’t like it but there was nothing they could do about it. BTW it was a military funeral with a big American flag and the gun salute and taps routine as well! I took a perverse pleasure in seeing their discomfort as I walked over to the honor guard and thanked them and shook their hands.

• manicmama
    manicmama

This has always been a sore point with me and the JW's. My father in law (one of the sweetest men ever to walk this earth!) died after a valient 18 month long fight with cancer. At his death even though he was in good standing in the congregation although no longer an elder (he may have been an MS) he had been an elder for years but had moved recently to a new congregation, he had been in the congregation for approx 3-4 years and very well liked. In spite of all this no one wanted to do his funeral, we literally had to beg someone to do his funeral after asking several people! This was a man who was well liked! How sickening! The whole thing was a recruitement ceremony. Even my mother in law, a long standing JW was in shock. It was a last straw for me, people who had been in business contacts with the man dropped food by the house and did so many nice things while the JW's just came by to eat afterwards. Several asked me why they didn't talk about the many nice things he had done in his life, I just told then they were crazy, what was I to say? Needless to say, my husband took this as a turning point also. I told him if I die before him if the JW's come near me I will find a way to haunt them all!

• manicmama
    manicmama

This has always been a sore point with me and the JW's. My father in law (one of the sweetest men ever to walk this earth!) died after a valient 18 month long fight with cancer. At his death even though he was in good standing in the congregation although no longer an elder (he may have been an MS) he had been an elder for years but had moved recently to a new congregation, he had been in the congregation for approx 3-4 years and very well liked. In spite of all this no one wanted to do his funeral, we literally had to beg someone to do his funeral after asking several people! This was a man who was well liked! How sickening! The whole thing was a recruitement ceremony. Even my mother in law, a long standing JW was in shock. It was a last straw for me, people who had been in business contacts with the man dropped food by the house and did so many nice things while the JW's just came by to eat afterwards. Several asked me why they didn't talk about the many nice things he had done in his life, I just told then they were crazy, what was I to say? Needless to say, my husband took this as a turning point also. I told him if I die before him if the JW's come near me I will find a way to haunt them all!

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

These examples are truly horrific, Frenchy. When my parents died, the funeral services were done by the elders, but they were both pretty much recruitment talks with little mention made of my parents or their lives. The service for my mother was especially upsetting, since our family at that point was inactive, so almost no one came. No comfort there, that's for sure.

You should be so proud of yourself, though, for bucking the "powers that be" and doing what was right.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thanks, Red. Hey, it's great to see you again!

I have done a great many funerals as a witness. I did several funerals for 'worldly' people just because they asked me and when I did those I took into consideration that these people were not witnesses and would not appreciate being bombarded with our propaganda.

My brother died a few years ago and I asked an elder who was a friend of his to do a funeral service at the congregation where my brother attended. I had asked him to also come down to our congregation and do one also since so many people knew my brother from here and also because he was going to be buried here as well. He agreed to do the funeral at his home congregation but said he could not travel to do the one here. I understood that. After hearing the discourse that he gave I was happy that he was not coming here. It was a joke. Literally! All the idiot did was act as if it was some comedy show with him as the star performer. Of course all the witnesses thought it was great (they can't seem to actually hear and understand words for some reason!) but there were some railroad officials there for the funeral because my brother was a foreman for KCS and they were not impressed with the cavalier attitude of the 'minister' doing the service.

My brother had just gone through an ugly divorce (the reason for his suicide) and his wife was causing untold trouble at every point that she could. I was afraid that she might start some trouble during the funeral services because she was upset that I was burying my brother close to where I live. That, along with the horrible service given by one elder already made me decide to do the funeral myself. I wanted to make sure that certaint things got said about my brother and I wanted to make sure that if any disturbance started there would be someone there that would be able to handle it. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done.

My brother and I were very close. He was younger than me and while we were kids I looked out after him, especially after our father committed suicide when we were in our early teens. I had tried very hard to see him through his troubles with his wife but there was a part of him I could not reach. I wanted to do this one last thing for him, to make sure that he got a decent funeral and a dignified burial. BTW, his wife brought her shack up to the funeral. Yes, the final insult to my brother.

After the services one brother came up to me and said: "Man, you sure are cold. I could never have done a funeral for my brother." I made no reply to him. It was one of my brother-in-laws that said that. Well, so much for understanding, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit