Scanned PDF of Russell's 1st Book: The Object & Manner of Our Lord's Return

by cabasilas 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

This exists as a text file in a couple of different editions, but as far as I know it's never been posted as a scanned image of the original printed edition. It's from a copy of a photocopy, so the clarity is not perfect but it's plenty readable. Kudos also to a fellow JWDer who helped me get the OCR to work better.

The Object and Manner of Our Lord's Return was C. T. Russell's first book (or booklet) and has 64 pages. I think this definitively lays to rest the claim sometimes made that it was first published in 1872 (and thus before the 1874 prediction) as it's clearly labelled 1877 and in the text refers to N.H. Barbour, whom Russell did not meet until 1876.

Russell's book was briefly reviewed by George Storrs in the March 1878 Bible Examiner.

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/Contents/history/Storrs.htm

THE OBJECT AND MANNER OF OUR LORD'S RETURN

By C.T. RUSSELL, Pittsburgh, PA. Price ten cents.

Such is the title of a pamphlet of sixty four pages. The author is one of my very dear friends, and is a sincere lover of truth. I have not the slightest doubt of his stern integrity, and nothing but a full conviction that it is the truth he is promulgating which will lead him on in the work which he is engaged. His sacrifice of time and money shows his faith. Much that he has written is interesting. His belief that Christ "has come" -- "is present" -- in the Scripture sense of His "second time," I cannot for a moment admit; but as the time for its demonstration is in the next few weeks, I shall not enter into controversy on the subject.

BRO. CHAPLIN, Editor of THE RESTITUTION, in noticing the above named pamphlet, has expressed views of the "Second Advent" of our Lord which I heartily agree. He says:
    "We think that the coming Messiah is the same Jesus that died, was buried, rose from the dead, and subsequently ascended from Mount Olivet into heaven; and we also think that He will change our vile body that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body. We look, for more tangibility in the resurrection than our brother seems to expect. We also think that Christ in the first stage of the advent will only descend to the aerial regions where He will be met by his raptured saints, with whom he will afterward descend to earth."
    Such I regard as a true statement of the facts to be realized in that glorious return of our Lord "from heaven."

The PDF is about 2.5 MB and can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=4f2cd4f667244a9f01028c67e7cb988f

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I had an inquiry about the claimed earlier publication date for The Object and Manner book. Actually, the claimed earlier date was 1873 and was based, I think, on a misreading of some of Russell's recollections published later. A.H. Macmillan makes the 1873 claim in Faith on the March. as is noted in this post on another discussion board:

http://amazingforums.com/forum/HGREW/4.html

As far as I know, the Society has not claimed an earlier date unless you want to say that Faith on the March was a Society book (which it probably was). Current WT history books give the 1877 date.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Actually, I just found where it was claimed that Russell had written this booklet in 1873:

From the 1975 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, page 36:

Earnestly endeavoring to counteract such erroneous teachings, in 1873 twenty-one-year-old C. T. Russell wrote and published at his own expense a booklet entitled "The Object and Manner of the Lord’s Return." Some 50,000 copies were published and it enjoyed a wide distribution.

As can be plainly seen in the PDF, Object and Manner gives an 1877 publication date and references Barbour, whom Russell had never heard of in 1873. Having Russell active in publishing before he met Barbour makes him appear more independent. However, he got most of his ideas from Barbour and Object and Manner dates from after he met Barbour.

• mavie
    mavie

Thank you cab.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Thank you Brother Cabasilas for providing this spiritual food at the proper time.

• freydi
    freydi

www.biblestudylibrary.net/ For a new reference library link to everything Russell ever wrote and much more.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Good find! Can you post a scan of the 1975 Yearbook quote for those who don't have the Yearbook?

This is a really interesting file. Thanks!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I've looked and I can't find my copy of the 1975 Yearbook right now. I think I loaned it out. Is there someene here who could post 36 from it for us? Thanks!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Here you go Gary!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Thanks cabasilas! And you too, Atlantis!

As always, my sincerest appreciation for all your efforts in making these books and articles available to us.

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit