Need Help with Pauline Priviledge Petition

by jillbedford 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I am looking for anyone who is willing to help in this very unusual request. And I am sure I will get some criticism too. I can take it. I am 40 and find opinions interesting and something to learn from, but I still make my own decisions.

After many. many years of searching for a Church I can feel comfortable going to, I have found a home at All Saints Catholic Church. I know you all have comments about the doctrine etc. But I feel at peace there. It is a peace I have not ever felt. I have been attending Mass for about 2 years there. I can not take communion as I am not Catholic. I started taking a catholic class called RCIA this fall. I have learned a lot of interesting things. I have learned how all religions tie together to different beliefs that ultimately bring them to peace with God.

I was married before to a witness. I was a baptized witness and my husband was a baptized witness. The Catholic Church does not acknowledge that marriage to be valid in the eyes of the Church. The Church agrees it was a legal marriage, but not the sacrement that a Catholic takes. Marriage in the catholic church is between 2 baptized christians and the marriage is a sacrement between the couple and God. It is a bond that can not be broken. If I get this Pauline Priviledge Petition approved, I will be married again to my current husband, really a renewal of vows and then take communion for the first time. My husband has proposed again to me.

I need the testimony of a reliable witness who is willing to say that my former spouse, Tom Smith of Knoxville, TN was unbaptized (was baptized as a witness, which doesn't count) at the time of our marriage and he remains unbaptized. I am certain he has not been baptized again, I only need one person.

My problem is, the witnesses that knew us when we were married, do not know us now. And the friends I have now are not his friends since we have both left the JW's and have been divorced since 1999. Besides, I doubt any active witnesses would be willing to help me become Catholic anyway.

I was Jill Hitchcock when we married in May 1988 and my first husband is Tom Smith. My married name was Jill Smith, I used to attend the Halls Kingdom Hall in Knoxville, TN. I also attended South Knoxville and Maryville cong. If anybody feels they know us well enough to be the witness I need, please let me know. I will be eternally grateful.

I have called on you kind folks when my back was against the wall before and you have always come through for me. I am hoping for another such stroke of luck.

Thank you so very much for your time!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Sorry Jill

I was married before to a witness. I was a baptized witness and my husband was a baptized witness. The Catholic Church does not acknowledge that marriage to be valid in the eyes of the Church. The Church agrees it was a legal marriage, but not the sacrement that a Catholic takes. Marriage in the catholic church is between 2 baptized christians and the marriage is a sacrement between the couple and God. It is a bond that can not be broken. If I get this Pauline Priviledge Petition approved, I will be married again to my current husband, really a renewal of vows and then take communion for the first time. My husband has proposed again to me.

You say you have found peace. but this doesn't look like "peace" to me.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hi Jill, I won't criticize this, but I am confused about this. So basically what you are asked to provide is proof to the Catholic Church that your husband has not been baptized as a Catholic since your divorce? Is that correct? What if he has been baptized in another church since? Will that make a difference?

If your husband is no longer a JW himself, then I doubt he has many friends left in the JW's that could vouch for him.

Could he have been baptized a Catholic if he hasnt contacted you? Has he remarried? Are you still on some kind of speaking terms?

What if he couldnt be located? Do they allow for this possibility?

I don't see how in the world you will ever find a JW that is willing to cooperate with you on this. I do wish you the best though.

Dave

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I wish I knew you two, I'd do it...

Good Luck.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi Jill

Am I missing something here? Since the church doesn't accept that your marriage was valid (as per church teaching), why exactly do you need to get it annulled on the grounds of Pauline privilege anyway? Why won't they settle for legal divorce papers?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

That is a good point, if the first marriage wasnt valid to begin with according to the church, then why should it matter?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

If it helps, I understand the need. I wish I could say I knew you. Good luck.

momz

• poppers
    poppers

Geeze, the hoops that religion makes people jump through! Please know that you don't need any religion to feel peace. The peace that you felt in church wasn't because of the church, it came out of YOU. It's there now, as it has always been, just waiting for it to be uncovered. Let go of all notions and ideas about anything and there it is.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi Jill -

I cannot help with this as I don't know either of you but I'm sure somewhere, somehow you will find the solution.

It seems to me that exceptions and accommodations are made in other areas when secular data cannot be secured. Is there a way to show that you exercised due diligence in this but due to JW matters are not able to provide the validation required and thus request special consideration?

-Denise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit