Honestly, Did You "Care" So Much About The "Friends"?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

There are a lot of people who have complained of "no love" in their congregations. I'm wondering if they gave of themselves, in reality, if they look back. As an elder, I tried to "be there" when someone was in need but I must admit that I didn't always want to have to listen to a person's problems or a families' issues or some of the most ridiculous complaints, you could imagine.

Were you really there for your brothers and sisters? Or did you find yourself complaining that no one was showing love to you???

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I tried my best to be there. Of course I had some problems as well, but most of the young mothers and young girls always confided in me their problems. I always lent my house for gatherings and was pretty aware of needs for their children etc. In fact many times I would be surprised when my brother who was an elder did not know anything about certain issues people were having problems in their lives. My world was limited to the moms and kids and teenagers mostly though. So I reached out to the ones that I could get too. I'm sure I missed many though. Hey I had my own three kids as well....

• minimus
    minimus

WOW! You were busy!!!

I'm sure you are missed.

• chickpea
    chickpea

we were "there"

because we had the means, we were able to offer housing to 1) an elderly couple who had 28 days to move from their apt ( they spent a total of 4 months), 2) a young couple who came as bro elder (MTS assignment) and sis pioneer to assist the congro ... 3 months, 3) other widowed bro elder from MTS assignment..... 2 months.... 4) random bro/sis who had a devastating auto accident near here who spent nearly 5 weeks in our accomodations....... as well as a being a refuge from domestic abuse for a young sis and her 3 children from alcohlic non dub spouse ..... at least 3 occasions there and once for 6 weeks in our house as the accomodation was being utilised ( my fam of 6 plus her fam of four, our 3 dogs, her 3 dogs and EVERYONE got the flu!... total 3rd world experience!) .... no one paid one thin dime..... or even made the offer!!! which we would have refused.....

lots of other cases of being "there" for many many others.( actually mid-wiving for 2 sisters, financial help, like 4 new tires for PO ( see #3 above), paying overdue bills for "friends", hiring their businesses for work to be done......yada yada yada.... and yet, one refusal of a shepherding call ( you know the one..... read some piece of literature and pray) and we were dropped like a nasty habit!!!!

now, if there is an encounter... it is " why havent you been to mtgs?", not "so nice to see you!"

their house is abandoned to them ( guess we will be housing someone eventually)

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

for a long time i was the guy who called,,,visited... ran errands etc. then I found out what Pr*cks some of them were...especially as I got older.

~Hill

• minimus
    minimus

I bet that those of us who were there for people are really missed. Most people don't want to lift a finger for anyone, especially the elderly.

I still hear from JWs that tell me they genuinely miss me and then recount the things I did to help them out.

The fact that "all the good ones" are leaving makes the future look gloomy for so many still in.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Minimus..Guys like you "will" be missed..The fact is,there isn`t that many.....Most were self serving jerks.............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

You get 'em, OUTLAW!

• vitty
    vitty

I tried to be hospitable but in the end I felt used. In the hall everyone is too busy to help and its always left to a few charitable souls.

To be honest I didnt want or need help or "love" and as im a anti social person it was hard for me to interact on a regular basis . Three times a week meeting with people was enough !!

I had my friends...............but kept them at a distance................im like that now..........I never complained about the lack of love, but saw it when I left

• moshe
    moshe

When it comes to helping down and out or needy JW's I learned the true meaning of this Murphy's law- " No good deed goes unpunished"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit