Who else has zero friends?

by tsunami_rid3r 25 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

I am now a junior in college, and I have my own place. I don't really like having roommates at all. I just left in the middle of a lease because my ex-roommate was being a pain in the ass. Its been a month since I haven't lived with him and me living on my own, and he just now sends me a text asking for rent. I did have many friends at the start of college, but I made a few mistakes and burnt some bridges. I knew many girls, and I liked that. I am now alone, and sometimes I miss those good times. I have grown to become a private person, and I guess its just who I am. I have a steady job, and I have hung out with a few of the co-workers there, smoked and went to the gym with them. I don't consider these friends but acquaintances. I am not part of their little groups or anyones. I hate drama, but sometimes when I look at the facebook of my past friends, I am jealous of their social life.

• XOCO
    XOCO

damn, dude that sucks 2 hear that. i remember when i spent my 1st year of college alone (18) at the time i was a dub and ppl in my KH frowned upon it really badly but the really good dubs supported me. not 2 rub it in but i had a blast w/my worldly roommate she was nothing like the WT or the dubs describe. back to ur story, since now u and ur roommate have gone on hiatus u can meet other x-dubs in ur area/ near ur campus just 2 get a start and u can make friends that way if u have not started 2 do so. just a suggestion

XOCO

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

Meeting x-dubs. That sounds awkward. I have long put aside that, and my parents don't even attend the meetings much since my dad's disfellowship.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I was REALLY stunted friend-wise after coming out of the borg. I didn't feel worthy to have friends so I'd let those who were willing to walk all over me and of course my self-esteem was in the gutter. Since I started coming here and tossing off the shackles of believing in this dysfunctional religion, I've become better at asserting myself and that's made a world of difference.

LEARN that you have the right to say NO if you want to. Defending yourself in this way, basically showing sincere love for yourself, will attract real friends to you.

• daytona27
    daytona27

I can definitely say this applies to me. I'm in my mid thirties, no family (all in the org and I'm out). Everybody my age is happily married hanging out with their families, or two young and want to party or go scam on girls. So, I spend a lot of time by myself. I'm getting out and doing more things and like to do, meeting people along the way, but I've come to enjoy my downtime and the time I get to spend exploring things that don't necessarily involve other people. I know a lot of people that seem to have great social lives, but in reality, they don't. I think people like to almost fabricate it..."hey, we're having soooo much fuuuun!!!" When really, most of what people are doing is just plain lame. Go on trips by yourself, pick up a new hobby, go on an exploratory road trip...do things you've never done before, expand your horizons. To me, all of those things for personal growth are the best things a person can do for themselves and they aren't dependent on anyone else.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I have three good earnest friends. One is a poster on here and a leftover from my days as a dub, Blackman friends foreever. The other is a guy I work with. He has seen me go from a zealous dub to the real man that I am today, and accepted all incarnations. The third...well he has yet to be uncovered. You see friendship is a special thing (especially for us men.) Like jerry seinfield said you have so many friend in life than you stop taking applications.

Well for me I feel there is room for one more I truly love and appreciate the friends that I do have. But I do not close the door to a new friend who has similar dreams as mine and who is the kind of person that is worthy of the sincere and true friendship that I cherish...Unlike those dubs we came up with, who will drop you like a bad habit upon BORG say so.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Meeting x-dubs. That sounds awkward. I have long put aside that, and my parents don't even attend the meetings much since my dad's disfellowship.

I can relate. I am normally shy when it comes to meeting new friends (ex-dubs or not) and have canceled a few times with them because of this. I have to say though, I pushed myself going to a few apostafest and I really do feel I can call on a few (actually a bit more than a few) now when I'm feeling too lonely. Before them, I had no friends. The only thing I had was my kids which was lonely since I couldn't talk "adult" talk with them. Yes, it sounds "awkward" but it really comes natural once you can bring yourself to go. For several years I have been with 0 friends but I have slowly built up a few that I feel comfortable with.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Since my wife and I stopped going to the KH, we have like practically 0 friends too. Apparently if you don't go to the KH, you're not worth associating with. BUT we have found some worldly friends who are awesome, they're very reliable and cool to hang out with. They don't smoke, some don't even drink. Growing up I never stopped making worldly friends in school, and I can honestly say that my best friend who has stuck by me through everything, has never even been a Witness. I was always told not to make friends with the world, but I never saw that they were all bad.

• BizzyBee
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

My wife has 2 best friends. One is a work-aholic. The other is an alcoholic. Both are 30 year relationships.

I have 3 long term friends. One-37 years, the 2 others about 25, and some not so close associates that have their lives in really good order.

I have been told I am lucky for this. Probably true, but I do make the effort to keep them close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit