A Theory of Nothingness

by Sad emo 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Light - we can't see it or touch it; we can't hear it, taste it or smell it. Is it really there?

Parts of light appear as different colours - all electomagnetic forces yet still the colour is mere perception, dependent on whether the light rays are absorbed or reflected by the object they fall upon. White may indeed be black and black be white - perceptions!

Atoms - they're nothing but empty spaces filled with electromagnetic forces of protons, electrons and neutrons and yet, when they come together, they form something which appears solid and to have form. And yet - subject that 'solid' to a high temperature - more elecromagnetic waves - and it melts. Subject it to even higher temperatures and it disintegrates. To a higher temperature still - and it vapourises to nothing in an instant.

DNA - It's said that when one strand of DNA - invisible to the human eye - is uncoiled, it is about 69 inches long.

69 inches of nothing.

And this is the building block of life itself. Or is it?

The more I look, the more I see that everything, including DNA, is made up of electromagnetic forces and interactions between them, resulting in the 'reality' we see, touch, feel, hear and taste. Our thoughts, our dreams, our imaginings, our emotions - all the result of electrical activity.

There's nothing really here except the reality we perceive - and that is all based on electromagnetic forces.

When we die, there will still be nothing really there, except the reality we perceive - who knows what that will be.

Hence there may be eternal 'life', maybe this is eternal life now - eternal nothingness.

The Big Bang - was an explosion of what? Nothing. Resulting in nothing - and yet everything at the same time!

Everything is nothing. Nothing is everything. There and not there. Black and white. Seen and unseen. This is it.

One vast nothingness.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Disclaimer:

I'm not suicidal and I haven't been using any mind-altering substances

Just thinking a lot

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I think that the word that describes it is Akasha.

When I was younger, I would focus on those gaps that you mentioned and sort of "fall into them". I now know that I was practising my own form of meditation.

But the odd thing is that the matter (or maybe "light" vibrating at lower frequencies [frozen light] to "imitate" matter) is contained within something - what ?

As you say, everything has gaps in it - even us.

Maybe it is the gaps - maybe the gaps are the thing that link us all - if the gaps were a substance onto which all form and matter is "imprinted" then we all all existing on the same "blank canvas".

Akasha :

there is no such thing as empty space in the universe. Esoteric Science teaches that the entire Cosmos is pervaded by Akasha, primordial substance, or rather the noumenon - the non-sensuous reality - beyond substance. In the Theosophical Glossary, Akasha (from a Sanskrit word meaning "brilliant" or "luminous") is described as "the subtle, supersensuous spiritual essence which pervades all space". This primordial substance differentiates into all the forms of matter, those of the invisible as of the visible regions of the universe. Hence the definition of Akasha as "the Universal Soul ... from which all that exists is born by separation or differentiation. It is the cause of existence; it fills all the infinite Space".

http://www.blavatskytrust.org.uk/html/nf_astral_light.htm
    Akasha has a definition of 'that which does not hinder'. It is essentially the fact that there is the possibility of 'somewhere' for things to exist in, and in this way it exists only as a negative definition. It has no positive qualities - even no positive existence. But of course if it did not exist, then there would be no absence of obstruction, so there would be no possibility of objects existing in the universe, since there would be nowhere for them to exist.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=671318
  • tall penguin
    tall penguin

Beautiful post Sad Emo. And yes, I understand what you're saying. There is a surreal beauty in the nothingness. So intangible, indescribable, yet strikingly sublime.

tall penguin

• Satanus
    Satanus

Like alphaomega said. Further, to simplify a bit. Inner space is like outer space. Outer space is mostly emptiness. There needs to be emptiness in between the solid matter for there to anything. It's the same for inner space, ie within atoms and deeper. Inner space may well be as endless as may outer space be endless.

S

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Isn't a theory of nothingness the basis for the Seinfeld Paradigm?

~Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sad Emo.

I was thinking about your post. I found this interesting site. I am perusing it right now:

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/

Burn

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Sad emo:

Light - we can't see it or touch it; we can't hear it, taste it or smell it. Is it really there?

Yes, and of course we can see it, or at least some of it. It's the only thing we can see.

Parts of light appear as different colours - all electomagnetic forces yet still the colour is mere perception, dependent on whether the light rays are absorbed or reflected by the object they fall upon. White may indeed be black and black be white - perceptions!

No. You are right that the colour depends on the wavelengths of light reflected but this is a physical phenomenon independent of perception. Red light is that light which has a wavelength of around 680nm regardless of whether or how anyone perceives it.

Atoms - they're nothing but empty spaces filled with electromagnetic forces of protons, electrons and neutrons and yet, when they come together, they form something which appears solid and to have form.

What do you mean by "solid" and "form" other than the properties collections of atoms have at a macroscopic level?

And yet - subject that 'solid' to a high temperature - more elecromagnetic waves - and it melts. Subject it to even higher temperatures and it disintegrates. To a higher temperature still - and it vapourises to nothing in an instant.

I think you mean it vapourises to gas. The first law of thermodynamics is that matter or energy can neither be created or destroyed.

DNA - It's said that when one strand of DNA - invisible to the human eye - is uncoiled, it is about 69 inches long.

69 inches of nothing.

No, 69 inches of molecules. They are not nothing, they have mass and verifiable testable impact on the universe.

And this is the building block of life itself. Or is it?

Yes it is. Beyond the merest whisper of a possibility of a shadow of a doubt.

The more I look, the more I see that everything, including DNA, is made up of electromagnetic forces and interactions between them, resulting in the 'reality' we see, touch, feel, hear and taste. Our thoughts, our dreams, our imaginings, our emotions - all the result of electrical activity.

Yes, we are made of the "stuff" that is in the universe. We're made of the same stuff as everything else in the universe because we are wholly a part of it.

There's nothing really here except the reality we perceive - and that is all based on electromagnetic forces.

No, the reality we perceive is limited by how we have evolved. We can only see a very narrow portion of the electromagnetic spectrum for example, although we now know and are able to measure a much wider range. This is true of all our senses; they are limited but we can go beyond what they tell us. It shouldn't really surprise it that our senses are not adapted to perceive aspects of reality that had no bearing on the survival of our ancestors.

When we die, there will still be nothing really there, except the reality we perceive - who knows what that will be.

Well, if by die, you mean cease to exist as an entity (and what else could you mean?) it is obvious that there will be no perception, but reality will remain.

Hence there may be eternal 'life', maybe this is eternal life now - eternal nothingness.

I don't see how that follows at all. It appears you don't understand something and you use your ignorance to give more weight than deserved to idle and untestable speculations.

The Big Bang - was an explosion of what? Nothing. Resulting in nothing - and yet everything at the same time!

Everything is nothing. Nothing is everything. There and not there. Black and white. Seen and unseen. This is it.

One vast nothingness.

Mostly you seem to be redefining everything as nothing for no good reason, except perhaps that it fits in with your current philosophy. The only impact this seems to have is that it allows you to redefine "eternal life" as "eternal nothingness" and hence, vice versa. This presumably gives you some hope in an afterlife that you desire but were otherwise lacking.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"Space" is the single largest entity in the universe. It is contiguous, all of one piece, and all pervading (to the extent of our senses).

"Energy" exists in many forms (frequencies). Even "outer space" is not truly empty - hydrogen is common, as is the deduced dark matter. Energy at certain frequencies is matter. Light and matter are the same substance. We perceive different frequencies through different senses.

We have not observed "void" - an absence of space and energy - in the physical world yet. To me, void is the "nothingness". Space has dimension; void has none.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

....by the pricking of my thumb, Quantum Physik this way comes.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit