Preaching work - What other religion preaches??

by Black Man 25 Replies latest jw friends

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

If door to door makes something true, then what of the post office? Amway? Newspaper boy? Door to door doesn't work for Mormons either. I didn't have much success with it on my 2 year mission Post mission lds can't be described as full time proselyting. I've NEVER done it since my mission. Don't plan on it either, except for calling you heathen Ex JW's to repentence!!

Reading Thomas Paine's (Blessed be his name) Age of Reason cured me of my need to appeal to the Bible, Book of Mormon... or any scripture.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Gideons place a lot of literature.

It takes the witnesses 4000 man hours to make a convert.

...and then it doesn't always "stick"!

• bobld
    bobld

All religions preach however, they are more effective then J.W.'S.WBTS brag in their videos about their preaching work door to door and how much literature they sell.They printed over 2 billion pieces of literature last year but only 129 million bible in their whole history.It just goes to show they are interested in making money and not preaching the word of God the Bible.For instance the Gideons place over 60 million Bibles in ONE year alone.They Gedeons also mention that they would place a lot more Bibles but are restained by lack of funds.More Bible education work is accompished in China via,TV,internet,radio than any other means.The WBTS should be ashamed of wasting peoples resouces ie cars,gas etc for accomplishing so little with so much money.Yet they keep asking for more donations so they can build fancy bethel homes for themselves and live in luxury.See proclaimers book,Patterson.and other bethel homes.More on their videos later.

• M.J.
    M.J.

The International Church of Christ had a much more effective and aggressive approach. I heard that their peak growth outpaced the growth any movement in the history of Christianity.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I've met many others who are involved in door-to-door activities. Not all are limited by actually walking door-to-door in a literal sense. As many JWs point out, the world is "dangerous", lots of folks don't feel comfortable opening their doors to strangers, even if they are nicely dressed and carrying a Bible. Many organizations have internet ministries, TV ministries, radio ministries, mail, preaching in public forums (such as at college campus), newspapers, telephone, etc.... Door-to-door doesn't have to be on people's door steps.

That being said, many groups do have literal door-to-door ministries. Our non-denominational church has a group that goes door-to-door several times a week. However, it is not required that everyone within the church participate in physically knocking on doors. Some are called to that type of service, others are called to provide service in different ways. Those who do go door-to-door find out the physical, emotional, and prayer needs of those they visit. Then others pitch in to help. They provide food for the hungry, coats for the cold, supplies for school children, fix cars, fix leaky faucets, give rides to doctor appts., counseling for the hurting, ....the needs are numerous and various. There are more churches that have these types of groups, than those who do not. It is not a focal point of most. They don't elevate it as something to be proud of. They just do it. They don't keep track of the time they put in. They don't hand a person a pamphlet and walk off. They do find tangible ways to help, even if the person shows no interest in attending church. It isn't about what they hope to get out of that person, and it isn't about making themselves look better, personally or religiously. It's about reaching a lost world with the love of Christ. Sharing the gospel as it is defined in the Bible. Doing it in a tangible way.

Someone once said to a religious group handing out Bibles in a soup line: "This Bible is nice, but it isn't putting food in our bellies or coats on our children." Physically meeting the tangible needs of those you come in contact with, is the most important part of witnessing. At least I see it that way. People may not understand what you say, but they understand what you do. A vacuum cleaner sales man goes door-to-door. If you are merely selling a brand of religion, what good is that?

Other denominations that very visibly go door-to-door are Assemblies of God, Baptist groups, Adventist groups, Christadelphians, Assemblies of Yahweh Joshua, Mormons, and the list goes on.

LOTS of non-denominational groups participate in door-to-door service. They have food pantries, clothes closets, homeless shelters, .................endless help for the needs of others.

If the focal point is showing how a relgious organization goes out knocking on doors more than most, then I would say the meaning of why they are suppose to be doing it is lost. Even to those doing it. Perhaps that is why so many doors are slammed. It's just another interuption. Just another sales pitch.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

There is a Baptist Church that has over 1000 members in my neighborhood and they usually come out to our subdivision at least once a year to give out brochures and invite us to join.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit