I wish the nightmares would stop.

by Micky4321 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

Do any of you have nightmares as a result of the JW religion. I haven't been to any meetings in 17 years but I have nightmares a couple times a month about the whole thing. In my dreams the scenario will be I am at an assembly or a meeting against my will and everyone is ignoring me and some are glaring at me and I am trying to leave but for some reason I can't get out of the building. Then I'll wake up and feel so relieved that I'm not actually in that situation.

I don't know why after all of these years I'd still be having nightmares like that. Maybe it's because I have a family member who every once in a while still tries to get me to come back. I would never go back into one of those places but what goes through my mine when this person tries to get me to go is oh that would be fun..NOT to be ignored by everyone in the room since I'm disfellowshipped that would be what would happen.

I think that religion has really scarred me for life.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I also have been out of the cult for awhile. I also still have nightmares, or dreams about the religion. Many times the dreams take place at a assembly, for some reason. I think most of us have this due to the fact we have family still in the religion. I have family I have not even seen or spoken to in 10 years.

I also believe that most of us will have some kind of residual affects from the cult. It has become part of who we are...which includes are thoughts, which does effect our dreams. JMO

Leslie

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I had the nightmares when I was a kid.

Thankfully I don't have JW nightmares now. Still have nightmares about high-school though, and that was 18 years ago.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I've been out since the early 90s. I still have a jw related nightmare from time to time. Usually it is set at an assembly in a stadium...between sessions... everyone walking around... I keep going down corridors but never really get anywhere. Nothing horrific... haven't had one in a good 6 months.

Coffee

• Cc81
    Cc81

i have only been gone a few years.. but every so often i dream of certain people, either at the kingdom hall or running into them in a public setting.. and the dreams never end good. The other night i had a dream that i was at the kingdom hall and an elder, mind you it was a elder that was like a grandfather to me when i was little.. he was the one who had studied with my parents and brought them into the "truth".. i loved this man and called him grandpa when i was little.. anyways.. i dreamed that he was sitting in front of me.. staring.. just staring. wouldnt say a word. had a nasty look on his face. And in my dream i said "grandpa.. i still love you." and he just stared....... it was a sad dream and when i woke up i was almost in tears.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

Yeah that's what I don't like about them. They will effect my emotional state when I wake up also. I wake up all sad and upset for being treated like that. They can be so vivid sometimes.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

But then once I've been awake for a little while I'll think man glad that wasn't real. Those people are mean..lol.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

"i have only been gone a few years.. but every so often i dream of certain people, either at the kingdom hall or running into them in a public setting.. and the dreams never end good. The other night i had a dream that i was at the kingdom hall and an elder, mind you it was a elder that was like a grandfather to me when i was little.. he was the one who had studied with my parents and brought them into the "truth".. i loved this man and called him grandpa when i was little.. anyways.. i dreamed that he was sitting in front of me.. staring.. just staring. wouldnt say a word. had a nasty look on his face. And in my dream i said "grandpa.. i still love you." and he just stared....... it was a sad dream and when i woke up i was almost in tears." That's really sad I got a little choked up reading that. It's too bad they treat us like that. People we looked up to growing up now ignoring us.

• Cc81
    Cc81

awee mickey.. it makes me so sad too : (

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi, I was out for about 17 years and in the course of therapy told my Dr. about my end times/armageddon nightmares. She let me get them 'all out', actually asked me some questions about the belief and just gave me some 'validation' about why that would still to that day cause nightmares. After talking them out (thoroughly, over a couple/3 sessions) I didn't have them anymore. I don't know why that worked. I had actually spoken to folks about it, but no one non/jw could ever really get it enough to have patience with my angst on the subject. I was nine at 1975. Nuff said for all those here. I left at 15, nearly 16. I was in my early 30's when I got 'help'. I had had some other depression which is what got me to therapy, but after that, it was really a lot better. I was only medicated for a short time-I think my childhood trauma was at the root of the depression. My mom was being a stinker then too (my short period of shunning from her was recently concluded).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit