Paul's Letters: Part of "All Scripture ..." ?

by compound complex 88 Replies latest watchtower bible

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

OrangeFatCat,

If you're interested in the Gnostics and their writings, may I recommend Lost Christianities by Bart Ehrman. It's a good, easy to read exposition of how divergent early Christianity was. I think you'll like it!

CyrusThePersian

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I had never thought about this before- What was [Paul] referring to? Obviously, [he]
    was not thinking of the letters and the (as yet) unwritten Gospels. Such a simple
    thought that JW's got right past me.

If further writings would be included, would that include the Gospel of Thomas or the
    other "lost" gospels? Would the Maccabees be included?

OnTheWayOut

Those are all good questions, but unfortunately the answer is we don't know what 'Paul' meant by "all scripture..." Did he mean the Apocrypha? (evidently so, re. his reference to Jannes and Jambres) But what else did he mean? We'll never know. Bertrand Russell is right when he said, "The Bible is known for many things, but clarity is not one of them."

CyrusThePersian

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

JosephMalik:

Well at least you have good company. It does not look like anyone else on the forum understands what is going on either.

Of course. Nobody understands it except you. Not really a surprising sentiment from an apocalyptic cultist.

The rest of your post doesn't seem to relate to this subject at all and I don't know why you included it except perhaps to avoid answering the perfectly reasonable questions you were asked. I probably should have known better than to expect a productive conversation with you.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Of course. Nobody understands it except you. Not really a surprising sentiment from an apocalyptic cultist.

funkyderik,

Maybe some will see it now that it has been discussed forcefully. This is not really unusual. No one could see the Passover week scenario either or the Governing body one until I kept bringing it up and now some are starting to understand it. This is wny I keep saying that they should study for themselves. There is a lot in scripture still hidden from us all. With all the scholarship so little is really known. This was a big one and everyone should be aware of it.

You said: The rest of your post doesn't seem to relate to this subject at all and I don't know why you included it except perhaps to avoid answering the perfectly reasonable questions you were asked.

I answered your questions and showed you what was really meant but it is still over your head. So I will leave it there.

Joseph

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

JosephMalik:

Maybe some will see it now that it has been discussed forcefully. This is not really unusual. No one could see the Passover week scenario either or the Governing body one until I kept bringing it up

Or indeed, the end of the world in 1998, right Joe?

With all the scholarship so little is really known.

By you, certainly. You seem to know so little about it that it's amazing you consider yourself an authority.

I answered your questions and showed you what was really meant but it is still over your head.

Yeah right, like your sub-Watchtower nonsense is over anybody's head!

• compound complex
    compound complex

?

Compound-Complex

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Or indeed, the end of the world in 1998, right Joe?

funkyderek,

You are right I did a bad job with this chapter. My reason for doing it was to show how easy it was to take verses and make predictions that mean nothing. And the method used made much more sense than the WT one and avoided its shortcomings. It was a direct slap at the method and procedures that the WT was using. What it was also showing is that they should not even have started to look for the end "this generation" until around this time. I should have explained this in the book. But no intention to predict the actual end was intended. I knew the verses that taught otherwise and believed them. And you should know that I did not bother trying to do it anywhere. I have taken a lot of heat for this for the wrong reasons but I really deserved it. It was done to expose WT errors and methods and never was intended to predict the end. Sounds pretty lame but that is the way it was back in the 1970's. It is not so bad when you take a hit where you deserve it. It happens when you are trying to advance your faith and knowledge. We have been examining verses where it happened to Paul and in turn he had to do it to others. So that seems to be the way we eventually get to the truth. It is nonesense to think you need to be a scholar in order to understand scripture. It was just such scholars that Jesus reviled. Why do you put such stock in them? Mt 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Joseph

• compound complex
    compound complex

I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Thank you, J.

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm discussing your responses now on the telephone with the friend who inspired this thread. Thanks for the great replies!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit