TurnThat Music Down Boy.....

by hillary_step 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Any audiophiles on the Board will have noticed how in recent years one has to turn music up past its comfortable level to get a decent balance of sound.

Do not feel that this is your imagination, it is not. It is by design and designed to suit the ears of young people who think that loud sound is better sound.

http://funl.blogspot.com/2007/06/loudness-war.html

This link provides a simple explanation of what happens at the mixing and mastering stage of much modern music production.

HS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HS..Hello my friend!..I hope you are well......Shocker of shockers....I was watching a Bio on Steven Segal....That sucker can play a guitar!!..I kid you not!.....He can play guitar,as good as he can fight..I could`nt believe my ears.....He has a CD that will hit the States in the near future..If he pursues this,he has a whole new career.....Mark my words..............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• david_10
    david_10

Thanks, Hillary------------------------------a very informative video. The comments following the video were very interesting, too. It confirms what I've thought for years: Very few people listen to music; they listen to sound. And those are two entirely different things.

David

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

HS.

I think the best way to listen to music is loud, with a good quality sound system. I didn't know they made it was purposely made it that way. Well regardless nothing better than some good MJ and good quality loud music.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Outlaw,

HS..Hello my friend!..I hope you are well......Shocker of shockers....I was watching a Bio on Steven Segal....That sucker can play a guitar!!..I kid you not!.....He can play guitar,as good as he can fight..I could`nt believe my ears.....He has a CD that will hit the States in the near

I am doing well thank you. How about yourself? You must be up to the gills in snow at the moment.

I had no idea about Steven Segal. I will listen out for this one.

Cheers - HS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HS..I`m good Bud.....Yes,I`ve got about 1 1/2ft of snow here..It will be waist deep,or deeper in a few months..Just bought a snow plow for the truck..It was just too much work even with the huge snow blower I have..When I go into town,people get the hell out of my way when the plow blade is on..LOL!!...............Yes,this Steven Segal thing just blew me away..I had no idea he could play..Much less play that well..BB King was in the program,he was blown away too..Never in my wildest dreams did I picture Steven Segal playing with heavy weights like BB King and Stevie Wonder..Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• startingover
    startingover

For some time now I've noticed in the music some headbanging kids listen to, there seems to be no separation. Now I know why.

• onacruse
    onacruse

hs, it may just be me, but R&B just doesn't "feel" good unless it's at near 120 db...relocating organs and liquifying bone marrow! LOL

And, for all you folks that may not know this: OUTLAW lives in the Bermudas, and all this talk about snow and penguins is just a smoke screen to cover his true identity: Donald Trump.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I played in a blues band about 10 years ago and we had a hard time finding a studio that would faithfully record our music. They all wanted to screw with it so much that it didn't even sound like us anymore. Any audiophile can tell you that loud doesn't equal good. Good = Good and it should sound good no matter what the volume level is. Years ago that's how they sold stereos at the electronics stores. They would play some music with a lot of bass, turn it all the way up and let it rattle your rib cage just to show you how "good" the stereo was. Creating a lot of bass is easy. Playing music with a wide dynamic range and making it sound good with a sound system is difficult. I'd much rather hear the music the way the artist intended it to sound rather than how the studio thinks it would sound on some idiot's boom box.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dorktacular,

Creating a lot of bass is easy. Playing music with a wide dynamic range and making it sound good with a sound system is difficult. I'd much rather hear the music the way the artist intended it to sound rather than how the studio thinks it would sound on some idiot's boom box.

Exactly. Many sound engineers are happy to serve the overwhelming needs of musical mediocrity these days and many of the musicians do not really care as long as they are in work.

Fortunately the more serious musical genres like Jazz for example have not been so badly affected. I was just listening to some of Tim Garland's stuff this morning and the engineering on his albums is superb. I was also listening the newly remastered "Super Session" album with Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper and I have to say, whoever remastered these tapes are worth their weight in gold. Absolutely stunning!

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit