NWT? Why a different bible?

by 4mylove 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 4mylove
    4mylove

What is the common justification given by witnesses as to why they have a different bible? A friend once told me that it was because the other versions of bibles weren't translated accurately and things had been changed. At this though, she also told me that should i decide to study, i could use my own bible. Does the watchtower write their awake and other such material knowing this? Knowing that some may use their own, lets say KJ version, does this in turn affect the articles they write? For example, how would they explain John 1:1. "and the word was God..." instead of their ridiculous version "and the word was a god"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

each translation has its own bias - in the NWT Gods name and also Trinity John 1 vs 1 etc

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Why not have their own "translation"?

Is a "translation" performed under the auspices of a British King or an Italian Pope any more sacred?

The Bible is a collection of primitive shepherd's tales that has become part of the european cultural bedrock. It is as "true" as the Bhagavad Gita, which is part of the cultural bedrock of the Hindu world.

• gumby
    gumby

Nathan......you ain't shittin me now are ya?

*checks out Wickipedia to see if it's true*

Gumby

• Gill
    Gill

Gumby! Hello there!!

The JWs often say that they can prove what they believe from any bible. Thing is, they can't and so won't use any other bible to prove their beliefs. With the JWs, their beliefs came first and then they had to construct a bible to fit in with them! Beautifully clever, twisted, manipulating BS!

The Bible was 'constructed' by the Roman Catholic Church to fit in with their beliefs. The JWs come along with their own beliefs and then construct their own version of the bible also.

Chinese whispers really! If people are so dumb as to not realise that the Bible is a Roman Catholic construction, how are they possibly going to accept that the NWT is a furthur contrived elaboration of the original. And is there any original? No! No 'original' exists pre 2 - 3 century. Does anyone know what the 'original whisper' was? I doubt it!

So where are we heading with this? Absolutely anywhere you want! Make your own version and believe anything you choose to because no one can tell you for a fact if this is what it was meant to be saying!

One thing you can say for sure about the Bible is that it wasn't carved in stone! If it was, we might have a better idea of what it was all about to begin with!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    And is there any original? No! No 'original' exists pre 2 - 3 century.

That's right. The earliest manuscripts of the gospel of John are dated to 125 CE. Still, that's close to 100 years after Jesus supposedly lived and did all the things written. That's plenty of time for a super-hero mythology to built up around a leader who may have been no more than a failed anti-Roman revolutionary.

Normally, archaeologists would find records about important people and events that were recorded at about the time they occurred. However, there are no concurrent secular records about the life or activity of Jesus outside the Bible, which is surprising since the Bible implies that his preaching shook up the whole nation.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

The common justification is that only their version is correct, having "the best scholars" available and Divine inspiration.

how would they explain John 1:1. "and the word was God..." instead of their ridiculous version "and the word was a god"

They would say that's an instance where you have to reject your Bible and embrace the NWT, because obviously your Bible is wrong.

• Gill
    Gill

VoidEater - 'Obviously' is a word 'they' use when they KNOW that they are wrong but just want YOU to think that YOU"RE the idiot and not 'Them'.

Obviously, evidently, naturally, of course....all WT words that are really say, 'I know we're talking a load of bull shit'!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The gumster implored,

Nathan......you ain't shittin me now are ya?

[in his finest "Apu" voice] Of COURSE I am shitting you, you little gummy man! The question is: about what?!?!?

N.B.: Apu is a character in the TV cartoon show, "The Simpsons."

• Zico
    Zico

They needed to insert 'Jehovah' into the NT, and try to remove the deity of Christ, among other biases.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit