Feel like crying sometimes- Student Loan Debt

by Chameleon 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I went to a tech school because it seemed like a great idea at the time; I didn't even give community college a thought back then.

Anyway, the total program cost something like ~$36K. This was 4 years ago. I was only 17.

I didn't learn anything, and now I have this massive debt.

The lender is Sallie Mae, and yes, I know they're horrible.

I am going to find out how many loans I have and hopefully, I won't have any private loans.

So, I was wondering if consolidation is a good idea?

I just want to get my loans away from Sallie Mae.

Do you guys know what I could do if I have private loans?

I hope I can pay off my debt before I'm 30. I'm only 22 and I don't want to be in debt forever, and my parents tried to talk me out of going to that school, but they gave in. If I knew back then what I know now...

I just want peace of mind.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

You should only consolidate if you know beforehand definitively what the interest rate will be. (They'll misrepresent it) Be very weary. I consolidated recently (last month) and ended up getting screwed.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Are you working? Are you working in a job that you got the education for?

You may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney. Although student loans are not dischargable in a bankruptcy, perhaps you could pay them off in a 5 year Chapter 13 Plan.

Also, if your circumstances are particularly difficult, and you cannot find a job that you are educated for, speak to your congressman. Not many people know that their congressman can grant forgiveness of student debt loans but there must be certain circumstances involved.

Also, if you get disability, there may be hope for forgiveness of debt.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that you are probably going to have to re-pay these debts.

Good luck.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

my wife is in the same situation..... she was forced into a career by her mother and grandmother that she ABHORS....... so she has a huge student loan that is horrible.

they call her and act like they are gonna take away her nurseing licence ........ which would mean she couldnt work...... no work......... no money....... no pay back debt..... lol. and the nazi's they hire are total bastards bloodsucking heartless zombies. they dont let her have the option of paying a reasonable amount each month.... they scream that she has to pay 300 a month...... which isnt gonna happen.

so how are they gonna be sure they get their money?? they take that ONE debt and make it into like 100 smaller debts and make it look like since she hasnt paid anything ( has a 10 year deferment) that all of them are in arrears and each month the number of days late her payments are....... grows.............. so her credit is shot to hell and not because she isnt paying her bills............(except that one).

she decided to call them and try to work out a normal payment plan and get right by consoladateing them....... then she could take a graduate course and become a psycologist and do something she is a natural at.......... well we had moved so they didnt have our new number............ so they were as sweet as honey...... yeah no problem............. oh of course we can work out that for you....... ok but first let me update your file...........

did i mention my wife is gullable? she gives them EVERY THING THEY ASK FOR.......... name of her new job and phone number, our phone number, address.......... EVERYTHING........... thats when they became heartless souless nazi bastard (*&^%$#$%^&*( again calling every night ect ect............. we blocked them.

we wanted to pay 50 a month and then when she went back to work long enough for us to be caught back up........ more.............. they said she HAD to give them 300 a month............ so she says..... not gonna happen i guess you will have to settle for the 0 a month your getting now...... CLICK......... block number..............

she is gonna pay them back eventually........ but she will pay the loan back directly without going through those people so they wont get their cut.

so........ make arraingements to pay something.......... even if its a small amount...... every month so they cant do the same to you......... so you will have the credit to get a car or a house if need be.

• 5go
    5go

You and me too.

• Leolaia
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Sallie Mae is like dealing with the devil. Pay them off as quick as you can.

• DublDipd
    DublDipd

The main thing to remember is keep talking with them. Whatever you decide to do, keep the channels of communication open with them. I have dealt with my own student loans...the only times that they were hateful was when I avoided them. Remember that video they made you watch when you accepted them? Sucks that it was all true! Those freakin loans go wherever you go...like luggage. All the best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit