Four years late. Just watched Passions of the Christ. I have a question

by shopaholic 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Liberty
    Liberty

Mel Gibson is deeply troubled but a genius film maker. Passion of the Christ is a brilliant horror movie but ridiculously over-the-top as a Bible movie. The visuals are beautifully crafted and fantastical in a nightmarish surealism but lacks any resemblence to historical reality. Passion makes the Robe look like a documentary, and the Robe was as campy as Bible movies could get until Passion.

Gibson never attempted to make this film realistic. It was shot on sets in Italy and looks nothing like the environment where the Bible stories take place. Monty Python's Life of Brian does a far better job of presenting a realistic Christ story even though it is a parody. Life of Brian is as brilliant in it's clean sparten simplicity as Passion is in it's European mystical theatrical fakery.

I never once felt like I was being transported to Roman occupied Palestine in the 1st Century in the Passion. It was more like seeing centuries of Catholic art works and icons being brought to life in a horrible nightmare. I enjoyed the Passion as a horror film filled with Gibson's guilt ridden demons and the hellish violence they spawn. But it is terriable as a realistic "Bible" film trying to bring the Gospels to life. The Passion appeals to the dark and primitive emotions and not the intellect. The entire dialogues spoken in ancient languages prove just how meaningless the words are in this story which is designed to appeal to the senses and emotions and not the mind. The drone of the languages became an hypnotic part of the soundtrack isolating the viewer ever deeper into the nightmare.

No human, no matter how perfect, could lose so much flesh and blood and live at all let alone stand up and still carry heavy beams to the execution site. The flipping of the cross over to bend the huge nails under was especially over-the-top in a movie of constant theatrical exaggerations. The maggot filled donkey, the silver toothed female Devil, the Devil-dwarf baby, the literal buckets of blood, the clots of torn bloody flesh flinging through the air, the brutal and ugly human faces smothering the viewer, the darkened sepia skies, and the clanking of heavy chains and wierd soundtrack noises all speak of bad dreams and not reality.

I find it odd that such an art house, R rated, Catholic flavored horror film could resonate so well with mainstream American Protestants. The fact that it did just proves to me how much raw emotion is really involved in even modern Christian belief. Sadism, fear, and guilt are such major components of these beliefs that they transend time and sects.

• inkling
    inkling
    The Passion appeals to the dark and primitive emotions and not the intellect.

Wow Liberty, stellar post. You expressed the instinctive feeling I got from what I have seen of the movie, but with saturated color and darker resonance.

I want to make it clear that I understand and appreciate why some faithful sincerely enjoyed this movie as a spiritual experience, and I do not judge them for that. I would imagine that Jesus and his mother Mary did not have the luxury of experiencing the horror with sterile documentary realism, and I'm sure pain they felt was shot through a vivid bloodstained glass far more surreal than what Gibson showed on screen. If this film experience is meaningful to you, I do not wish to rob you of that, and It is likely that I will see the movie in it's entirety one day when I have sufficient detachment to stand for it. [inkling]
  • lesterd
    lesterd

It doesnt....but if the object of Christ murder is to be worshipped, then it might make a difference which hell you pick to go to...little leavity. I believe it was abopted about the thrid century to christianize a pagan object so the new converts wouldnt have a problem with the "truth" about their new religion.

• Liberty
    Liberty

I appreciate your comments inkling. The Passion is such a testimate to self hate and a loathing for humanity in general that it becomes difficult for me to understand how seeing it could provide any one with a spiritual experience. The very unhealthy guilt-ridden traditional Christian concept that humans are unworthy of a saviour and where gross sin and degradation are considered normal human atributes flies in the face of the real world I have come to know since leaving the Watch Tower Cult. Gibson illustrates in this film what this sickness can do to a person's perception of reality.

The vast majority of human beings are kind and cooperative with only a tiny fraction being deviant and evil. This is a spiritual triumph in my opinion, considering the horrifically cruel natural environment which spawned us. Gibson has it all back wards, if there was a God He would be responsible for the horrors present in the Universe and not humanity. That we consistantly overcome the nightmarish and struggle with great success to make the world better is the real story of humanity. It is the traditional religions of self-hate which retard our progress and I am frightened that so many of my otherwise very nice friends and nieghbors would find such a primitive throwback emotion generated by the Passion to be spiritual. This film should be seen as a bizarre primeval curiosity and not as a spiritual ralllying point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit