What kind of receiver should I get? Stereo or 7.1 Channel?

by JK666 16 Replies latest jw friends

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah 5.1 is all most people will ever need. if you get a receiver that works with 7.1 your just asking to spend a ton more money for those extra speakers. personally i want a good name brand....... and you have picked three......... with 100w per channel........ but anything over 50w is good enough......... if you do movies and get a 5.1 your still gonna need some extra speakers lol.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I have a Yamaha 7.1 channel amp. Model HDR 5960. Good bang for the buck. I use the 5.1 speaker system. I listen to my Cd's and as a bonus I subscribe to XM radio. It has a built in XM radio receiver. Good CD quality sound from the satellite. Also Xm radio has 3 music channels that transmit true discrete 5.1 channel music. It sounds like you are in a sonic temple. The rest of the 70 music channels are in regular stereo.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I have found out that the problem with my workshop amp was the output IC and replacing it is expensive and may not cure the problem which was probably caused by a short in the speakers or cables I was using.

I have replaced the amp with a second hand unit that is performing well on a different set of four speakers.

Meanwhile, I have been given a 5.1 DVD player that I haven't had much of a chance to play with yet.

A quick peek at the outputs tells me that if I want more 'loud', all I have to do is add another stereo amp for the rear speakers.

There are also outputs for centre and woofer. Another second hand stereo amp may do the trick for that, but I will try a mono amp only driving a woofer. I am looking at a 300w kitset job for that.

I am guessing that 7.1 player would just require plugging another stereo amp and set of speakers to give me even more 'loud'/atmosphere/whatever. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

I have been informed that the 'Tape out' can be connected to an input on another amp, information that could be important if you feel that your amp or speakers are getting a little stressed at the volumes you enjoy. I haven't tried it yet. Please enlighten me if that is incorrect.

Having a Heath Robinson setup like I have described might not be everyone's cup of tea but I like 'loud' too, and I am prepared to sacrifice a little inconvenience to get it. I have a rather large cabinet that lots of stuff can be hidden in.

One thing that I do know is that, no matter how much you spend today, there are developers out there who are designing systems that you will drool over in the near future.

Cheers

Chris

• Jourles
    Jourles

It all depends on if it will be strictly for music or both music and video. My ideal music only setup would comprise simply two towers that can accurately reproduce ~40Hz - 20kHz. Going down to 20Hz isn't utterly necessary, but a natural roll off to that point at several dB down is ok. Situate your listening position in a triangular fashion between the two towers. Picture an equilateral triangle. Voila! You now have a pseudo 5.1-7.1 system depending on your space and the reflectivity of your walls, floors, and ceiling. The "center" channel appears as a phantom channel. By aligning yourself between your speakers, this "phantom" channel exists. Reflections from the rear walls provide your "fill," or "surround."

Before anyone goes off and shoots this down, ask yourself this: When was the last time you went to a concert and the musicians were playing behind you? More speakers or larger speakers doesn't mean better sound. Neither does all of the other gadgetry that you insert between a cd player and the final amplification stage. He who equalizes least, equalizes best. Noisegates are something to look for as well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Have you checked out carver? They used to be hot.

S

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Look into the Sony ES series.

If your wallet and desire come to an agreement, you would be in great shape with this.

• palexisls
    palexisls

marantz are awesome. 5.1 over stereo anyday... 7.1, i dont know.. there arent many sources in 7.1 format (yet, and i dont know if it will catch up in the future) so i wouldnt know if its worth the premium. as for wattage. rms..... depends on where you are putting the system and the acoustics of the place. i´ve got 500w rms on my living room, and 300 rms on my bedroom and 440w rms (combined outputs) on my car and rarely use over 50% of that, but its good to have a high ceiling as it makes for a nice pad way before you perceive distortion at certain frequencies. as its been said, signal/noise are one of the first things to look at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit