NOW what do we called Disfellowshiped ones?? Since we don't use ....

by oompa 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mile 0
    Mile 0

Let me qualify this by saying I'm refering mainly to the traditional mainstream JWs. I ackowledge there are decent JWs that participate on these boards who are questioning some of the Society's policies and practices and say as much on these forums.

It doesn't matter what they call it, due to the indoctrination, in a typical cong everybody guages how "theocratic" they are against everyone else. And everyone knows they are being rated by everyone else too. So although the WT will come up with a new handle and maybe even appear to "lighten" up a little re the treatment of dfed family members, and even if the Society advises congs to treat kinder those trying to be reinstated, the natural tendancy of the r&f is to notice how perhaps some particular family doesn't seem to be as "strong in the truth" as others because the dfed member of that family isn't coming back and yet is treated to a normal family relationship anyway. Well, that isn't very theocratic. The theocratic way is to be civil, but to be treated as part of the world. And if it's certainly obvious they AREN'T coming back don't bother forming too close of a relationship because the END is just around the corner and they're not gonna make it anyway. When the family takes a "tough love" approach they are deemed more theocratic. "That poor family! They certainly are making quite a sacrifice for the sake of their theocratic principles, sure must be tough on them. What a fine example they are in following their bible-trained conscience...blah, blah...."

In general, JWs are obsessed with how they are viewed by others in the cong. What JW hasn't heard this many times while, especially while growing up, the "how would this make us look to our brothers and sisters" routine, and this attitude sticks with them and certainly affects how dfeds are treated.

Mile 0

• oompa
    oompa

Darn it, I have to start reading the magazines more!! The term Disfellowship is no longer used when kicking a dub out, but it is still used in print when referring to such ones I found about a dozen in 2006. I was hoping it had vanished. Anybody know if it is used in 2007?...oompa

• blondie
    blondie

Is the wor.d disfellowshipped even in the Bible? I can see the word disassociated disappearing from the verbal vocabulary of rank and file jws. Most don't understand the term anyway. Rest assured the elders know whether the person's status is df'd or da'd. It is a legal step for not announcing it any more. I can remember when they used to announced what the "sin" was a person was df'd for until a lawsuit ended that.

• DT
    DT

I think this could turn into a serious problem for them. They changed the way they announced things so they would avoid litigation for slander by not actually declaring that someone is disfellowshipped. Now they have created a climate where it is assumed that someone has been disfellowshipped even if they disassociated. They imply that you did something wrong, probably immorality, and were forcibly expelled and then deny you any way to correct the false impression. I think this could be viewed as slander and might cause some problems for them if the legal climate changes. I brought this up in my DA letter so that I would have a written record of my protest to the way they handle this in case I ever pursue legal action.

• Mary
    Mary
    And if those who are out are just "no longer a witness" does that open the door for more association, like with normal family, friends, workmates?

Dear God in heaven, no! If anything, the paranoid goons at Crooklyn are, IMO, trying to close ranks against anyone who 'leaves the Truth'----especially those who have done some digging and discovered their hypocrisy in the religion. They most certainly do not want any Dubs having "normal" association with anyone outside of the religion------that's simply how any cult works.

We used to have WT's article like "How Should We Treat Disfellowshipped Family Members." But I have not seen any (cause I hardly ever read one) in recent years.

I believe there was a study article just last year reaffirming the notion that you should treat family members who refuse to worship Ba'al the Governing Body, as shabbily as possible. If they become depressed or even commit suicide, don't worry your pretty little head over it------it's their own fault for 'returning to their vomit'.

What would they call a DF'd person now

Spiritually dead right now----Birdie food at the Big A.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Oompa, it was either this year or late last year that they changed the way that disfellowshipped people are referred to from the platform. It hasnt been that long though. Im just curious if the Watchtower has slipped up in any of its publications and used the term since 1996?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Now they have created a climate where it is assumed that someone has been disfellowshipped even if they disassociated.

From first hearing about this, I've believed that was the idea. If you suddenly hear that Brother Pillar and his whole family have "disassociated", you may well wonder what they know that you don't. But if you hear that they are "disfellowshipped", well, then it's obvious they got caught up in one of Satan's many snares.

By taking both terms away, it allows the default value of "disfellowshipped" to apply to all. Keeps the "why did they leave?" questions from coming up.

Just a guess, of course.

Dave

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

They used the word "disfellowshipped" in this article on their web site just last year:
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/20061201a/article_01.htm

Edited to add: Ironically, it's called "It Pays to Be Honest"! :-)

Dave

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

LOL, thanks for sharing that Almost Atheist.

I believe that so many people were dissasociating that they had to do this in order to keep people from wondering why. They will now be automatically assumed to be immoral instead of the real reason why they left.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

JK's right. The DF and DA terms still apply. It's just that the official announcement doesn't specify which one it is.

If its a DF, then the gossip will soon reveal all of the dirty details and everyone will know it was a DF.

If its a DA, then the elders will keep quiet, and everyone will assume it was a DF since they didn't hear about the person disassociating (and why would ANYONE do that!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit