How Do Elders Sleep at Night? a non exJW friend asked me

by feenx 10 Replies latest jw friends

• feenx
    feenx

hey everybody

So after my post yesterday in reference to the scan of the Flock book, then going over the notes taken by the Elder in North Carolina in reference to child molestors taking authority roles in the congregation and the society instructing for previous records of their abuse to be destroyed, (which BTW I love how it's noted that it's a rare case when that happens. Umm...doesn't that just confirm that it HAS happened, since it's rare, and not just a "policy") I sent the photos to a friend of mine as we were discussing it all. She was horrified and asked how to Elders sleep at night. My reply was that really their level of denial and illusion must be even greater than the rank and file dubs. As agents of middle management not only do they have to believe in the greater good of the organization more than the average publisher, but they also have to be so blind that they can somehow rationalize the destruction they cause and enforce to so many lives peoples lives. In that sense it would seem that the Elders are worse off than your average publisher.

On top of that it's quite disturbing to think of the fact with the directions in the Flock book and the instructions given in the KM schools essentially trains a criminal. Elders who have already abused children, or have such desires are now taught how to evade getting caught and prosecuted.

And the fact that EVERY single male member of my family (other than me obviously) on BOTH sides of the family (including a pedophile) has read, studied and made notations in this book and attended the KM schools.

*shivers* I think I've just given myself the heebie geebies :/

Thoughts??

• voltaire
    voltaire

I personally did find it troubling to be an elder, and that was BEFORE most of the problems with pedophiles coming to light.We were nosing into other people's private lives way beyond my comfort level. The very first thing we did as a body when I was a new elder was to discuss what to do about a young sister (15?) who was seen reading a romance novel. They ended up sending me and another new elder over to talk to the parents. We made a federal offense out something so trivial.

With regard to the pedophile stuff, I can only imagine that a lot of brothers are currently experiencing their own "crises of conscience".

Ron

• garybuss
    garybuss

If I ever need a heart transplant I want a heart from a Jehovah's Witness elder because those are the least used hearts I know of.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    On top of that it's quite disturbing to think of the fact with the directions in the Flock book and the instructions given in the KM schools essentially trains a criminal. Elders who have already abused children, or have such desires are now taught how to evade getting caught and prosecuted.

Interesting point. I had not looked at it like this. Very Interesting Indeed.

-Aude.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I think the elders don't just drink the Kool-Aid, but have an IV of it all the time. I really think that most are honest and actually believe it, and believe they are doing the right thing. They just REALLY drank the Kool-Aid.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

more and more instruction to elders and those in power are how to protect NOT the members spirituality or the innocence of children but more how to protect the watchtower bible and tract society from legal problems. it does make people wonder how they sleep at night , the good ones dont sleep at night, they're online finding out how systemic the problems within the organization really are.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

GB:

If I ever need a heart transplant I want a heart from a Jehovah's Witness elder because those are the least used hearts I know of.

I hear you there....I hope my "heart" was not too badly damaged by the experience...

candidlynuts:

the good ones dont sleep at night, they're online finding out how systemic the problems within the organization really are.

yep...I hope I was one of the "good" ones .... see my topic as a follow up to this one: How do Elders Sleep at Night? (Answer from a former elder)

Snakes ()

• sspo
    sspo

Easy, easy guys. Many on this board served as elders for decades and no one elder that i know ever tried to protect

a child abuser.We all slept good at night with a clear conscience because:

1) 99.9% of elders have never dealt with child abuse

2) If they did, keep in mind our loyalty was to the watchtower and followed the GB instructions and directions ( did not know any better) .

3) We beleived like all of you at one time it was the "truth" and were blinded by the crap we were fed ( like all of you did )

It's easy now for everyone on this board to look down and rip those on the inside forgetting that we were all in the same boat and blinded by the watchtower. Have mercy and try to help those on the inside and not exalt yourself as being better than them

You are only ripping apart your mother and father and sister and daughters still on the inside and they do not know any better just as they look at us as being "spiritually lost ". My .02 for the night

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder how they sleep at night with many other issues. Like busting up couples on various wimpy excuses, setting "brothers" up for rejection by all the sisters at the a$$emblies to set them up for that fxxxing Ministerial Training "School(??)" without checking if it is even suitable, insisting on white shirts for visiting speakers, telling newly interested ones that show up with a baby not to use the word "pee" in the Kingdumb Hell, and systematically setting up rules to put up walls between members that do get along well.

As for the pedophile issues, I wonder how Ted Jaracz and his close associates sleep at night. After all, all the rules are their ideas. All it would take is for Teddy to declare that all the stupid rules are unnecessary, strike all rules the violation of which would not be initiatory force or fraud or threat thereof, and allow the congregations the freedom to serve as "mini companies". Were that to happen, it would immediately improve morale, stop creating situations where hounders are allowed to abuse their authority to molest children, and probably solve most of the problems with rapid communication. But, as long as those humanoids insist on status quo, nothing is going to change.

• oompa
    oompa

Feenix...I can not find the thread from the elder in North Carolina you refer to. Could someone please pm it to me or post it here...thanks. I feel the reason elders can sleep is lots of BOOZE before bedtime.................oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit