DFED PERSON HOME BOOKSTUDY?

by isaacaustin 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Can a disfellowshipped person attend a bookstudy in one's home? I was told of an event last night where a dfed person was permitted to attend the bookstudy in one's home. The rest of those in attendance were shocked. Is this unprecedented?

Is there any WT references on this? I thought it was frowned upon but not forbidden.

• sir82
    sir82

It is definitely forbidden, but I don't know where it is written - maybe in the elder's manual, or the new "Organized" book. DFs are only supposed to attend at the KH - no exceptions.

The CO will have a cow if he finds out this is happening.

• blondie
    blondie

Df'd jws are to attend meetings and book studies at the KH. Congregations are told by the WTS that at least one book study must be held at the KH for that reason. That way they won't be entering a private home.

*** km 11/74 p. 4 Question Box ***In viewof our understanding of 2 John 9-11 as discussed in TheWatchtower of August 1, 1974, would there ever be circumstances that would allow for a disfellowshipped person to attend a meeting held in a private home?Generally speaking, disfellowshipped persons are not invited to meetings held in private homes.The Organization book (page 174) said: "A disfellowshipped person is not prohibited from attending meetings in the Kingdom Hall open to the general public as long as he conducts himself properly. None will greet him, of course, and he may not attend any meetings held in private homes." This is true concerning those who are ‘pushing ahead’ and do not "remain in the teaching of the Christ."

However, if a disfellowshiped person is trying to make a comeback, showing repentance, and if he is not in violation of what is stated at 2 John 9-11 by continuing to practice or to advocate what is contrary to "the teaching of the Christ," it may be he would be allowed to attend meetings in a home if there is no Kingdom Hall in the town and where brothers open up their homes for public meetings, Watchtower studies and service meetings so that the home serves in the place of a Kingdom Hall. In such cases the home would be viewed as similar to a Kingdom Hall during the hours when those meetings are held. The meetings are under the control of the body of elders. They will know the facts concerning the disfellowshipped person and can consider whether his attending a meeting in a home would bring reproach upon the congregation. They may discuss the question among themselves and with the householder. If there is no objection on the part of the householder to the disfellowshipped person’s attending, then the elders may so inform the disfellowshipped one and he would be allowed to enter that home during the hours when the home is used as a Kingdom Hall. At all times when he is there, the disfellowshipped person must conduct himself properly.

Where the only meeting held in a private home is the book study, a disfellowshipped person would not be invited to attend but he may attend meetings held at the Kingdom Hall.

As pointed out in TheWatchtower, of August 1, 1974, page 465, a Christian may greet a disfellowshipped person who is not like those described at 2 John 9-11, but he would certainly not go beyond a word of "hello" or greeting. TheWatchtower, August 1, 1974, page 472 suggested that where fleshly relationships are not involved, it would be well to leave to the elders further conversation or exhortation.

• eclipse
    eclipse

What if it's in the DF'd persons home?

Surely he/she wouldn't be made to sit in another room by themselves??

How heartless can these people get????

You would think that the DF'd person has ebola...from how scared they are of being in the same room as a DF'd person.

edited to add: Just saw Blondie's reply, and that makes sense that they would attend at the KH. Still stinking heartless.

• blondie
    blondie

They would not have a book study in a home where a df'd person resides.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Even if it's a child that got DF'd? Or the wife? They would remove the bookstudy from their home?

I guess that makes sense....no priviledge of bookstudy for the sinful family

pretty much when one member get's DF'd, the whole family gets treated like lepers.

Plus, the more anal retentive JW's would balk at even stepping foot into the sinner's house

• sir82
    sir82

Even if it's a child that got DF'd? Or the wife? They would remove the bookstudy from their home?

Absolutely. They'll even remove the Book Study from your home if you, your spouse, your children, your goldfish (well, maybe an exaggeration) ceases to be "exemplary". I.e., not enough hours in field service, not enough comments at the meetings, watching questionable entertainment, etc. and bam the "privilege" goes to someone else.

Plus, the more anal retentive JW's would balk at even stepping foot into the sinner's house

Oh not just the anal-retentive ones. Everybody would be afraid to do so - for fear of getting DF-ed themselves.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

THANKS BLONDIE

• eclipse
    eclipse
    Absolutely. They'll even remove the Book Study from your home if you, your spouse, your children, your goldfish (well, maybe an exaggeration) ceases to be "exemplary". I.e., not enough hours in field service, not enough comments at the meetings, watching questionable entertainment, etc. and bam the "privilege" goes to someone else.

Well I gues the elders in my hall when I was growing up were more lenient.

My dad was in a few JC's and elder's meetings for, let's say, some immoral indiscretions, and got private reproof everytime.

They never took the bookstudy out of our house. I guess because his affairs were not public knowledge..

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Some friends of ours had the book study removed from their home because they attended the wedding of their DF'd daughter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit