Gifts from the forge (and wood lathe)

by BrentR 8 Replies latest social family

• BrentR
    BrentR

Santa's workshop has been busy this year. I decided that all my gifts would be either handmade or bought from small "ma & pop" businesses. No stores with the last names of "mart" got any of my money this year.

Alot of people on my list are very much into candles so I got to play with a few different designs I came up with. Me and my daughter hand dipped all the beeswax candles.

alt

alt

alt

alt

alt

Scotch broom from off of my place. It's an obnoxious plant with awsome wood.

alt

Vine maple from off of my place. I cut most of it up for firewood until I noticed the very fine prismatic grain.

alt

Old growth Douglas fir limb from a tree off of my place. The tree is three feet across and over 100 feet tall.

alt

Copper, brass and nickle silver pendant for my daughter.

alt

Curly maple velvet lined box for the pendant.

alt

alt

Cold hammered copper bracelet.

alt

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Your forge art would look wonderful in my house. We have a spanish wrought iron castle thing going. I wish Washington wasn't so far away! You are very talented.

momz

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Cool stuff, I'd love to come see your work shop. What type of forge do you have? What metals can you work with?

Those items are very nice, you could sell similiar on eBay or Craig's list. That look would appeal to some cultural niches.

Do you have your own hive of bees?

I think it is so cool that you can do all that, I love primitive do it yourself technology.

I'b be willing to show you how to make soap, just like in Fight Club,but not with people fat.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks! It would have been easier and faster just to go to Wally-World but I got alot of requests for handmade items. I started before Thanksgiving and still have a coupel left. I also have a gallon of sour apple liquer to bottle up from apples off my place and alot of coffee to roast.

Momzcrazy, our houses sound almost similar except mine is mostly rustic frontier themed. There is forged iron all over the place along with misc. woodworking projects.

Darkuncle29, I forge mostly carbon steel knives but I also have alot of 150-200 year old iron with the silicas impurites that when etched looks like woodgrain. This is the propane forge I just built last summer. This is my fouth forge and each one gets bigger and produces more heat. I can prop the lid open for longer stock and it also gets hot enough to forge weld and smelt iron. I cut down an 80 gal air compressor tank for the body and lined it with minrox 3000 furnace cememnt and insulwool. It has a 90 CFM blower with electronic speed control.

Video of the first test firing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjXYx70ucM

Pics of my shop with all the toys.

http://groups.msn.com/Brentscustomknives/shoptour.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=391

alt

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My other house was more rustic. This one is in a golf course community, had shine it up a bit! I wonder how much it would cost to ship some candle holders, and how much you'd charge to do some.My birthday is in March and I finally found something I want, other than sleeping in!

momz

• BrentR
    BrentR

Momzcrazy, check your PM's.

• Watkins
    Watkins

I'm SUPER impressed, Brent! Everything is just lovely. Your family is fortunate indeed to have a talent such as yourself taking the time and LOVE to make them something from your heart and hands. I wish I was your relative!

I love everything you posted - it all would look grand in my rustic home too!

I've never heard of vine maple - but that candle holder is so exquisite - almost like your looking deep into the wood grain - fantastic!

I have a woodpile where I stash future 'possibilities' apart from the split wood. My husband doesn't even ask what I'll do with it anymore(I dunno - sumthin'!), but often tells me he's added to it - he's acquired an eye for the unusual grains and twists too. But he leaves the 'artistic interpretations' to me - and I could use some help! So many ideass, so little time...

Wonderful, just wonderful. Please post more pictures of your creations as you have time - we really appreciate you sharing.

watkins

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks for the feedback! I wish more people would get involved with a hobby or craft and fire up the creative and artistic part of their brains. For me it's the most therapuetic and relaxing activity I have found aside from sex. It doesn't matter if your creations ever win any awards or not, I enjoy the journey. It's always cool to find others who enjoy the same art or craft and exchange ideas and techniques.

I can't sit still long enough to ever be a sports fan or video gammer so I had to find something else to occupy my time.

• calico
    calico

Beautiful items and workmanship! Giving handmade gifts is such an excellent idea. I love those candle holders--ever try selling them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit