The Santa Lie

by writerpen 9 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen

Adults who teach their children the Santa lie expect that their kids will some day realize that Santa is not real. Therefore, it could be argued that adults who believe in God are no different than these children who believe in something that's not reality. These believing adults just haven't realized the truth yet.

I'm not sure if there is a God; however, what I do believe is that we should all work to love one another; however, the thought above crossed my mind today when a few mothers in my office were talking about how their children believe in Santa.

Thoughts?

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

What???!!!!???

You mean Santa's NOT real????

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My husband and I believe in God. We just don't think he's as interested in us as we'd been taught. I refuse to lie to my son about Santa. He met one at a restaurant but he's more of a Christmas mascot to him.

momz

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

My thought: That reasoning would only valid if there was no God.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

How can you get gifts if there's no Santa!?

How can you be nice and good if there's no Santa to check how you act!?

Besides, I feel very comforted knowing that Santa is out there; it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

I have written lists many times, and I got most of the gifts I wanted. I also saw a shadow move over our house once, and thought I heard some jingles. So he's clearly out there.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I sing the Santa's coming to town song but put Momma in instead of Santa. I have eyes everywhere!!!

So, are you going to share that crack pipe awakened, or are you stingy?

momz

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

If you don't behave yourself Santa God won't give you any presents heaven.

Same story, different name.

• bite me
    bite me

Santa brought me a puppy and not a pony when I was a child. I resent that! I'm still waiting.. lol

I"ll get him some Q-tips so he does not misunderstand another child. No cookies from me.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Different stages of development: santa belief as kids, nonsanta belief as older kids, god belief as older kids and adults, nongod belief as older adults, realisation of unity ;)

S

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Santa myth is just that: a story. In that perspective, telling children the story about Santa can be no more harmful than those other fairy tales like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Humpty Dumpty, and The Three Little Pigs. Those stories are told to children all the time, and yet most children do not believe in those characters as real life.

Another way around this is to use Santa Claus as a generic term for anyone that gives presents anonymously. The story is OK as another fairy tale, and the reality is that anyone can be Santa. I have seen that term "secret Santa" used on this forum, as well as in college dorms. Presents that have no "From" name are delegated to Santa as to whom they are from. Most common, it is from parents. But that doesn't stop such presents from being left anonymously at work and elsewhere. Perhaps Santa isn't a total myth after all--it's just that the character that goes around the world in one day is fiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit