Pentecostals convert 20% of population in Guatemala. How do they preach?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pentacostalists work on emotionalsim. They use chanting and singing. The positive and love is focussed on. They expect and rely on the socalled gifts of the spirit that are listed in the acts of the apostles. While there is fakery, often, stuff really does happen. It's a religion of emotion and spirit. Although different in doctrine, it's actions are similar to the old shamanic native religions, minus the drugs.

Against this, the watchtowerism doesn't stand a chance. It is a dried up religion of the mind.

S

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

JW's--about as dried up as it gets.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    in latin america, everybody uses "jehovah". "jehovah" is also used in most of the spanish translations of the bible.

Exactly!

The Reina-Valera in particular.

The same is true in parts of the US with large Spanish-speaking communities.

On a hot summer evening in NYC, when the Pentecostals and the Charismatics have their church doors open, you can hear "Jehova" repeatedly, as much as in a Kingdom Hall.

• Mum
    Mum

Pentecostals seem to have a special appeal to impoverished and/or oppressed people, IMHO.

In the hills of east Tennessee where I spent my earliest years, both of my grandfathers were country preachers. People were drawn to their churches (shacks in the woods) because of the spirit, evidences of holy spirit, and purity and authenticity of the worshippers. Pentecostals are into self-sacrifice and sincerity of heart, at least the ones I knew. Having a real, authentic experience with the holy spirit was their focus. Yes, it produces loud shouting and strange-looking gyrations, but it's a release from the sorrows of endless labor and want.

Because Pentecostals, for the most part, are true believers, they share their faith with everyone by example if not directly.

Regards,

SandraC

• OBVES
    OBVES

Islam is known to be the fastest growing religion in the world and so what ? Should we follow the crowd and join that religion which is contrary to the Bible ?

Pentecostal church is one of many religions that widens the sole authority of the Bible and thusly is a rebellious religious organization.

Harold Camping could tell you the same .We must stick to the Bible as the only divine authority and recognize God does't give any further inspired messages or miracles once the Bible had been completed.

On this one lone principle we can refute most christian religions, including the most populous catholic religion that has hundreds of millions of adherents today.
    The end-time message is that all who want to be saved should leave behind their denominational churches which are most christian churches.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> Should we follow the crowd and join that religion which is contrary to the Bible ?

actually it is not contrary to the bible.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I dont know how current this is, I found it in an old post, but I thought it may be a very good way to combat the 'Jehovah is blessing his organisation' line.

http://www.gatheringofisrael.com/gospelclock/gospelclock2002.html

Clearly shows the pentecostals growing at a much faster rate than the witnesses.

Poppy

• Maddie
    Maddie

Funny this thread should come up now as I have recently got to know some Pentecostal Christians. Their meetings are all about singing praises to God, asking Him to come into their hearts and lives. They seem to be very sincere and there isn't any indoctrination process going on as far as I can make out. They are very much about the love of God and it is based on their emotional response. They have Alpha Courses from time to time, which teach the basics of the Christian faith. I believe their understanding is in keeping with the scripture : "You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to me to have life."

Maddie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Guatemala is a fascinating study of religion and politics. I imagine a newly arrived short-term missionary could barely concieve of the history and motivation behind a convert's actions. Over 90% of the population claims one Christian denomination or the other 1 , about evenly split between Catholic and Protestant. Of the Protestants, the majority are Evangelical in nature. In this country, the birthplace of the Maya, people embrace any faith that works. There are cases where a person goes to the Catholic church for charity, the Pentecostal congregation to overcome an addiction, and the local Mayan healer for other ailments 2 . It is quite possible that all three groups claim the same adherent.

How vigorous is the religious growth? How did the churches take hold? In what way has politics played a part? And, where might the Jehovah's Witnesses find a niche?

The growth of evangelical denominations is spectacular. Somewhere in the late seventies to mid-eighties, membership exploded. For example, a school called Liceo Bethesdarun by the Assemblies of God grew to sixteen times it's original membership in twenty years. Beginning with 80 students in 1973, it boasted 1,300 studentsby 1990 3 .

How did the churches take hold? Local politics and social instability do play a part, which I will describe later. With the Catholic church at least, there is a history of tolerance of traditional practices that do not confilct directly with Catholic dogma 4 . There are also particular benefits for the poor. The Evangelicals offer schooling, faith healing, and help with addictions. I noted on some of the denomination's websites that there is a concerted effort to understand the target ethnic groups, offering demographics http://demographics.ag.org/ and support for ambitious evangelical efforts. The top four Evangelical groups in Guatemala are the Full Gospel Church, Assembly of God, Church of God of the Complete Gospel, and Prince of Peace Church. Their vision and mission, as stated on their websites, give a good idea of what they are all about.

Religion and poltics are odd bedfellows in this country of contradictions. On paper at least, there is religious freedom. Indigenous groups question if this freedom extends to the historical Maya beliefs. The institution of the Catholic church is written in their constitution 1 . The Catholic church continues to advocate for human rights and social reforms in the country. There is an unusual religious connection through the the rise and fall of a dictator, Rios Montt5, who himself was a lay pastor in the evangelical Protestant Church of the Word. During his brief presidency through 1982 to 1983, he founded civil defence patrols called the PAC (Patrullas de Autodefensa Civil) 6 , who largely wiped out the guerilla threat in the country. This extreme action, however, resulted in untold violence on civilians. Rios Montt continued to influence the politics in his country through the policital party Guatemalan Republican Front (FRG), which he founded.

I do see both challenges and opportunities for the Jehovah's Witnesses. The history of violence and politics, intertwined with religious interference, plays well in to the Witness belief system. Who could argue that big government and big religion has caused untold heartache for this country? The evangelical churches also, have provided a handy "full gospel" education on a large portion of the population. On the other hand, the Witness prohibition of all things "pagan" would be a tough sell to these people, who historically have embraced the best of any faith.

1. http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2003/24493.htm

2. Fear As a Way of Life: Mayan Widows in Rural Guatemala By Linda Green

3. Fundamentalists and Socety, Vol. 2 By Martin E. Marty, R. Scott Appleby Published 1993

4. http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2005/51641.htm

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Guatemala#The_.22Ten_Years_of_Spring.22

6. http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1470-9856.00025?cookieSet=1&journalCode=blar

Bibliography (further reading)

Fear As a Way of Life: Mayan Widows in Rural Guatemala By Linda Green

Fundamentalists and Socety, Vol. 2 By Martin E. Marty, R. Scott Appleby Published 1993

A "Portrait" of the Assemblies of God By Steven L. Reagles [An essay delivered at the Spring Pastoral Conference, (Florida Conference) of the South Atlantic District Convention, Clearwater, FL, April 12, 1983]

The Social Consciousness and Involvement of the Full Gospel Church of God of Guatemala By Richard E. Waldrop CYBERJOURNAL FOR PENTECOSTAL-CHARISMATIC RESEARCH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit