A little update followed by a ?

by XOCO 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XOCO
    XOCO

Update: I'm happy to say that my finals are over since last week some of the grades have come in on my transcripts so my GPA is not quite accurate at the moment i can predict that my GPA 4 the semester is around 2.59. i know, i know that number does not look good but its not the end of the world. As some of u may know i'm still under the tower and i have to do my time and i needed to get out of the house once in a while ya know!! on Sat a sister visited a lady who has a kid and the mom wanted her kid to have a bible study and the sister who i was with said hey XOCO this could b ur bible study (yes, that's how my face was/looked like @ the door). i think the mom wanted to study also but me knowing kids they don't want to study the bible or have anything to do w/religion no matter what the mom says. As i was talking to the girl i was explaining to her about the KH and what we do and what 2 expect etc, etc, so out of curiosity her mom encouraged her to go w/me to the meeting yesterday. At the meeting i can tell that it was so boring and what not and when it was over i introduced her to a few ppl and i brought the girl back home. In my little heart i just pray that she wont ask me to study w/her b/c i just feel that it would be wrong 2 teach something that u don't believe its just counter productive.

The Question: I have a feeling that this question has been asked so many times b4 so forgive me if it got repeated since my mom wanted me 2 prepare 4 her # 3 talk i had to look up the 1914 date in the Reasoning Scripture book where it says that Gods kingdom was established in 1914. If secular books and historians say that the fall of babylon was in 587/537 why would jw use a date 20 years later and if Jesus was enthroned as king to destroy wicked ppl and Christendom how come he does not know when to destroy wickedness( unless Jehovah tells he 2 otherwise jah could of done this himself) but only the 1914 generation will see "the signs of the last days"?

*thanks 4 reading if their are previous threads u can share them with me*

XOCO

• Gopher
    Gopher

Xoco,

Glad you're getting a good education. I missed out on the chance to go to college, although I did go to trade school and that was one of the best decisions I ever made (apart from leaving the JW's behind later in life). That 2.59 is something to build on, keep going!

As far as your questions, I hope I can be of some help:

If secular books and historians say that the fall of babylon was in 587/537 why would jw use a date 20 years later

Actually it was the fall of Jerusalem being discussed here, Babylon was the invading country. It occurred in 587/586 BCE according to all historians. JW's use the date of fall of Babylon to the Medes and Persians in 539 BCE, and then assume it took a couple years (until 537) to get the captives back to Israel, and then work back 70 years (for which the land was supposed to be desolate) to go back to 607 BCE. There are a few things wrong with this line of reasoning, but I won't go into details here.

if Jesus was enthroned as king to destroy wicked ppl and Christendom how come he does not know when to destroy wickedness( unless Jehovah tells he 2 otherwise jah could of done this himself) but only the 1914 generation will see "the signs of the last days"?

According to Watchtower doctrine, Jehovah has now let Jesus know the secret date for Armageddon. Supposedly Jesus didn't know this date when he came to earth (and said so), but then after (AHEM) 1914 when he (cough, cough) took "kingdom power", Jehovah took Jesus aside and said "pssstt... the date for Armageddon is October 2, 2034" or something like that.

The JW's don't believe the "1914 generation" will see the end of the system any more. They had to change that because of the passing of time, and made their first change to that in 1995 to say that the generation is all bad people to be destroyed at Armageddon. That has changed again. In the 2/15/2008 Watchtower magazine, they reveal "new light" that the generation is actually whoever of the anointed is around whenever Armageddon comes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    If secular books and historians say that the fall of babylon was in 587/537 why would jw use a date 20 years later and if Jesus was enthroned as king to destroy wicked ppl and Christendom how come he does not know when to destroy wickedness( unless Jehovah tells he 2 otherwise jah could of done this himself) but only the 1914 generation will see "the signs of the last days"?

WTS sticks with their timetable because everything was tied to 1914 back in Russell's day, and they
    acted as if it all sort of came true because World War One started that year. If they admit they
    were wrong, their entire set of doctrines would be invalid. They cannot absolutely be proven wrong on
    their timetable, so they cast doubts on the archeological and historical evidence that shows they are
    wrong.

They act as if, "Our timetable must be right, because the sign of Jesus' presence shows it is.
    No matter the problems with our timetable, we already proved it right." That would be like saying,
    "Jesus must have been born on December 25th, because so many people believe it is so today,
    they can't all be wrong." Of course they are wrong. But produce enough literature that says you aren't
    wrong, and your members accept that it must be so.

I am unclear on the remainder of your question: if Jesus was enthroned as king to destroy wicked ppl
    and Christendom how come he does not know when to destroy wickedness( unless Jehovah tells he
    2 otherwise jah could of done this himself) but only the 1914 generation will see "the signs of the last days"?

I will leave that to clarification and others can answer. Are you asking for an explanation of what JW's used
    to believe about "this generation" ? Are you asking how Jesus did not know the day and the hour? What?

• XOCO
    XOCO

thanks Gopher and OTWO 4 ur comments

Gopher: JW's use the date of fall of Babylon to the Medes and Persians in 539 BCE, and then assume it took a couple years (until 537) to get the captives back to Israel, and then work back 70 years (for which the land was supposed to be desolate) to go back to 607 BCE. There are a few things wrong with this line of reasoning, but I won't go into details here.

i have a feeling that this might be in the daniel/isaiah prophesey book i might have to look through it.

OTWO: I am unclear on the remainder of your question

sry 4 the confusion what i ment was comming from Mat 24:34,36 at that point jesus was appoint as king (from what i understand) he stated that in verse 36 " Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father" i hope that clears that up a bit

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

If secular books and historians say that the fall of babylon was in 587/537 why would jw use a date 20 years later and if Jesus was enthroned as king to destroy wicked ppl and Christendom how come he does not know when to destroy wickedness( unless Jehovah tells he 2 otherwise jah could of done this himself) but only the 1914 generation will see "the signs of the last days"?

First of all, it is because they are being blatently dishonest. You will read in both the SI book and the Insight volumes that the GB hangs their hat on the pivotal date of 539 BCE. (they define a pivotal date as one that agrees with their chronology and a proven date in ancient history) 539 is the agreed upon date of the fall of Babylon when the Medo-Persian army invaded...

To clarify, these dates come primarily from ancient cunifrom tablets of the Babylonians. Their priests among others kept excellent track of star positions and other phenomenon. They recorded them on these tablets. By the thousands. Today, anyone who studies star positions can give accurate Roman calander dates to any event recorded by the Babylonians because these phenomenon such as comets, eclipses, etc occur at regular intervals. We simply count backward.

This is important to note, because the very same tablets that show Babylon was destroyed in 539 BCE also tell us that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/586 BCE. How can you take one date and not the other?

The answer is all to obvious; it doesn't fit in with 1914. There is absolutely no way the JW's would exist without 1914. 1914 wouldn't exist without this fictional, made up date of 607. ONLY JW's claim that this is the date of Jerusalems destruction.

Your question is oddly worded if that is alright, but I credit that to JW theology tying up your brain in knots. You must have actually tried to understand it and you blew a fuse! In any case, the rest of the JW theology that springs from 1914 (being chosen as the FD Slave in 1914, the continually changing "generation" prophecy that saw 1914, etc) are false, because the premise that JW use to say they have the truth is an absolute lie, a lie that the Governing Body is well aware of but tries to keep buried.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I have a different question:

you wrote: since my mom wanted me 2 prepare 4 her # 3 talk

Why are you writing your mother's talk?

Isn't she cheating by doing that??

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit