The loss of a 70' musician

by worldtraveller 17 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I saw him play in Ft Lauderdale back in the early 80's. He came across as a bit self-absorbed on stage (compared to James Taylor, anyway). I always liked his work and he went away too soon.

Rest, man, rest....

~Hill

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I've always liked Dan Fogelberg even though he wasn't popular with my generation.... Great music has no expiration date. Anyway, they just don't make music like his anymore, or at least the people who do make music like his don't get any radio play. Speaking as a song writer and musician, he will be missed and losing someone of his talent is a great loss.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Cnn did a story of Dan tonight. For us gentlemen over the age of 50, it's time for a checkup.

I wasn't aware that Frank Zappa died of prostate cancer. Thanks for writing. Thanks for caring.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I decided to listen to some of his music while I am sitting here drawing. Same Auld Lang Syne was always a sad song to me, tonight it has me in tears. I remember a time when I was younger and hopeful, less cynical, and yes, innocent. So many years ago. Music was good, the words told a story. Back then the Holidays and Christmas meant something to me. We have come along in time where so many people we know as entertainers die. Im glad his music is timeless, what a wonderful rememberance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NmdFgFyhnk&feature=related

Same Auld Lang Syne

• flipper
    flipper

World Traveller- I too was saddened to hear the news of his death. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's his music, the personal nature of his lyrics , and mellow songwriting ability was a great contribution to modern music. My wife and I played scrabble tonight listening to the album, " The Innocent Age " , one of his finer moments , a double album. I still get choked up hearing the song, " Leader of the Band " which he sings about his older father, always makes me think of my dad. And " Run for the Roses ", makes me think of my kids growing up . And an old buddy of mine died at 18 in 1982 and he liked the song, " Hard to Say ". Naturally all 3 songs were on the album we listened to so I got a little misty eyed listening to these. Mrs. Flipper helped pick me up though !

I think as you said World T. it makes those of us approaching 50 think seriously about getting the old prostate check . I thought the same thing as you when I read the news of his death. May his music live on- Peace out, Mr. Fogelburg we will remember.

• hmike
    hmike

He was one of my wife's favorite performers along with another one who left us too soon—John Denver.

• oldflame
    oldflame

Man talk about odd ! This mourning I wake up to hear of his passing and this afternoon was a cd that I ordered of his. Damn he was a music idols even still today. Yeah I will miss him.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

A lady I worked with told me John Fogerty died. I said, "Really? I hadn't heard that." Turns out it was Dan Fogelberg. This is the same lady who pronounced Bob Dylan Bob Die-lan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit