What motivates a person to start a religion?

by serendipity 13 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

Does anyone know of books, magazine articles, etc that explore the motivating factors in the origins of religion? I'm especially interested in religions started by a single person. Of course, your personal opinions are welcomed. :-)

• avishai
    avishai

L Ron Hubbard is a great example of a single person religion. $$$$ and power and women. Bhagwhan Shree Rajneesh (osho)? $$$ and power women, what did he have, like 80 Roll's Royce's?

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Avishai already beat me to it.

Money, power, women (as far as I know there has never been a religion started by a female).

• serendipity
    serendipity

Christian Science was started by Mary Baker Eddy: http://www.tfccs.com/marybakereddy/

And there were more:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=527388 And, of course, there's some branches of Wicca/Pagans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faerie_faith

I wonder if the motivations would be different for men VS. women?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Not everyone that "starts" what ends up being a religion has planned it out from the beginning.

• oompa
    oompa

I knew a man who did............God told him to..................oompa

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Start Your Own Religion, in Four Easy Steps

A fisherman could do it; why can’t you?
    Mike Ilardi

Why Should I Start My Own Religion?

Before jumping into such a massive undertaking, you must first examine the underlying reasons for actually starting a new religion. Starting a new religion is not for everyone, so consider your motivations carefully. For example, getting high one night and starting a religion based upon the worship of your sacred bong Bertha is not necessarily a good idea. Even if it seems like a good idea at the time, it’s almost guaranteed that it won’t the next day. If by chance it still does, then you should probably reexamine your lifestyle and consider smoking less pot (or inviting me over more often to share the green). Likewise, schizophrenia and delusions of grandeur are not valid reasons for starting your own religion. Greed, however, is. Starting a new religion in order to gain tax exemption and to launder money from your followers is a perfectly legitimate career option, and one that you are guaranteed not to learn in school.

Where To Begin: Ideas for Starting a New Religion

Even if you are less than creative, there is always the original idea of starting your own religion by deriving it from a preexisting one. Try creating a new Christian sect. For example, Christians for Satan, Satanists for Jesus,Satanist Christians for Brian Boitano, etc.. The possibilities are endless. You could try claiming to be the human incarnate of the messiah visiting Earth to save mankind. Unfortunately, few people will believe you. Only one person has successfully pulled this off and that was over 2,000 years ago. Even then, he had to be crucified and then raised from the dead before anyone would believe him. Not to mention the book they wrote about him, which narrowly missed the bestseller’s list, except Oprah picked it up. If you are unsure of your miraculous powers, you may not want to try this. You could choose to worship someone famous as the messiah instead, as people are much more likely to believe in them. Try, for example, Christians for the Worship of David Bowie as the Second Coming of the Messiah.

Attracting Followers:

In order to gain followers, you must promise them something. Fortunately, this can be something entirely intangible, such as eternal happiness in heaven. If this is not enough, threaten them with eternal damnation in the fiery pits of Newark. If you still are having trouble attracting followers, try impressing people with your unusual talents. These can be physical, mental, or supernatural. If you have none of the above, try plastic surgery. Here’s an idea: have a plastic surgeon remove your navel so that you can claim that you have no mortal parents and actually sprang forth from the ass of a heavenly creature (say, Madonna).

Erecting a Temple:

Erecting a temple, A.K.A. improving your house, is perhaps the most important step in creating your very own religion. In order to receive tax-exemption, your house must be designated a place of worship. The first step in building a temple is to collect money from your converts. In order to avoid having droves of followers in your house at all time, use a tiny portion of the money to construct a small annex for worshippers and use the rest to construct a swimming pool for yourself. Hold services whenever you need to have the pool cleaned.

Moving to Guam:

It was fun while it lasted, but all good things must end. Eventually the authorities will catch up with you. Therefore, you must prepare in advance. Store excess funds in foreign banks and purchase "vacation" homes in exotic locations. Be sure to book airplane tickets at the first sign of trouble. You may feel that you have lost everything, but on the bright side, you can always start all over again. You now have an untapped pool of ignorant non-believers to spread the good word to. And spread the good word you will, for it is your duty to save the sinner’s souls.

• bisous
    bisous

Vanity. Arrogance. Greed. Mental illness. Lust for power. To name a few possibilities.

• loosie
    loosie

I agree $$$ and power. and being an elitist helps

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Money and a corrupt inner self.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit