Muslim helps Jews attacked on New York subway

by beksbks 10 Replies latest social current

• beksbks
    beksbks

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Muslim man jumped to the aid of three Jewish subway riders after they were attacked by a group of young people who objected to one of the Jews saying "Happy Hanukkah," a spokeswoman for the three said Wednesday.

Friday's altercation on the Q train began when somebody yelled out "Merry Christmas," to which rider Walter Adler responded, "Happy Hanukkah," said Toba Hellerstein.

"Almost immediately, you see the look in this guy's face like I've called his mother something," Adler told CNN affiliate WABC.

Two women who were with a group of 10 rowdy people then began to verbally assault Adler's companions with anti-Semitic language, Hellerstein said.

One member of the group allegedly yelled, "Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus," she said.

When Adler tried to intercede, a male member of the group punched him, she said.

Another passenger, Hassan Askari -- a Muslim student from Bangladesh -- came to Adler's aid, and the group began physically and verbally assaulting him, Hellerstein said.

"A Muslim-American saved us when our own people were on the train and didn't do anything," Adler said

Adler pulled the emergency brake and the train stopped at DeKalb Avenue station, where police came on board.

The 10 suspects, ages 19 to 20, were taken into custody, said Brooklyn district attorney spokesman Sandy Silverstein.

Askari was first handcuffed alongside them, but he was released when Adler told police he was not an attacker, Hellerstein said.

Alder was treated at Long Island College Hospital for injuries that included a fractured nose and a cut lip that required several stitches, while Askari suffered a black eye, Hellerstein said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/12/subway.attack/index.html

• Gopher
    Gopher

Kudos to Hassan Askari, a very courageous Muslim man who resisted 10 ignorant and violent attackers. He was quoted as later saying that he felt he had to do the right thing. Askari represents the best kind of person.

What's the harm in saying "Happy Hannukkah" anyhow? Adler didn't mean anything bad. And then how ignorant was it for those rubes to say "Hannukah is when the Jews killed Jesus"? Did they get their education at KKK university?

Religious hatred is maddening to me. BTW the only Muslim I've known was very reasonable and kind, and I believe most of them to be that way (except for the extremists in their midst).

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

That's really good to hear. What a brave thing to do! Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Jourles
    Jourles

This just goes to show that Muslims are NOT mortal enemies of the Jews. Our braindead media outlets (and probably even a few at the top of the US administration) would like us to believe this distorted "fact," but rather, it is the American supported Israeli state which is despised. How else could tens of thousands of Jews live peaceably in Iran (a predominantly Shiite Muslim country) and even hold a seat in their political assembly which is guaranteed under the Iranian constitution?

This news clip shouldn't surprise anyone. If it does, stop listening to Fox Faux News. This was simply a case of a human being coming to the aid of another.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    it is the American supported Israeli state which is despised.

Important distinction to make.

Even many Jews are unhappy with the policies and actions of the state of Israel.

This was simply a case of a human being coming to the aid of another.

Humanity transcending religious divisions.

• avishai
    avishai

Hmm, how many muslims have kicked their Jewish citizens out? Quite a few. Not israeli's, but citizens.

BOTH situations happen. Yes, some states are great that way. But Saudi school textbooks say things that would'nt have been outta line in Nazi Germany, about how the Jews have been the source of all of history's problem's, not the "state of israel."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

This is really nice news for a change

• Jourles
    Jourles
    But Saudi school textbooks say things that would'nt have been outta line in Nazi Germany, about how the Jews have been the source of all of history's problem's, not the "state of israel."

And surprisingly, this is the main country in the ME that we are close buddies with... What's wrong with this picture?

• avishai
    avishai
    And surprisingly, this is the main country in the ME that we are close buddies with... What's wrong with this picture?

You got a mouse in your pocket? I'm no friend of Saudi Arabia....

Seriously, lot's is wrong with that picture.

• watson
    watson

I'm in a real bad mood tonight, and I'd like to tell you what I really feel about this story, but I won't!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit