Blaze Hero Hailed (46 jws saved)

by nelly136 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/news/Blaze-hero-hailed.3580440.jp

A COACH driver from Rawmarsh has been honoured for bravery after saving a group of Mexborough coach passengers from their blazing bus.
    Jamie Addison, along with colleague Allan Sawyer from Sheffield, received the Confederation of Passenger Transport's Dennis Ellis Memorial Award 2007 at a special dinner along with a prize of £200 and a trophy each. In addition, they won the National Express's Network monthly Employee Award and a cheque for £100 each and were short listed for the national annual prize.

The drama unfolded back in July this year when Jamie and Allan were passing junction 38 of the M1 on their empty coach and noticed another company's coach on fire. They promptly pulled up ahead of it, quickly assessed there was an extremely dangerous and urgent situation and beckoned to the driver to pull over in the hard shoulder who was yet to realise the extent of the problem.

On board the coach were 46 members of the Mexborough Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses who were already suffering from the affects of black toxic fumes. Allan ran up the side of the coach against the fast flow of oncoming motorway traffic, opened the rear emergency door and shouted clear safety instructions. Jamie, amidst ever increasing smoke, gave loud and clear instructions at the front to get everyone into their National Express coach as the need to flee the smoke and potential fuel explosion became more pressing. He then entered the coach and carried the last remaining passenger, a disabled gentleman, to safety.

Jamie said: "It was a bit scary towards the end especially when a lady came up to me and said her disabled husband was still on the bus and he wouldn't be able to walk off. The coach was very much on fire at that point and I was struggling to breathe or see but I just moved as quickly as I could to get the gentleman to safety. I don't think either of us feel like heroes but it has been nice to be recognised with these awards."

Dawn Murphy, coaching manager for Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: "We received a letter from the Mexborough Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and lots of individual letters from people who were actually on the coach to let us know what an exceptional job Allan and Jamie did that day. Without them they really don't know what would have happened. I couldn't let this go unnoticed so put them forward for the two awards.

"It was a horrendous situation for them and they did put themselves at risk but they didn't leave until the very last person was off that coach.

"They are two great blokes and their bravery was tremendous – they really went the extra mile that day and I know everyone involved is extremely grateful."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Bastards!

• faundy
    faundy

No offense, but what is the point of making a post like this? What, you want people to reply with "Shame their lives were saved" or "I would have let them burn" ???

I think it was heroic and they deserved to be awarded. It doesn't matter that they were witnesses. Lives were saved.

• 4mylove
    4mylove

good one nathan......

• faundy
    faundy

Note Nathan's post. I am disgusted.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It's called a JOKE.

Go buy a clue...

• nelly136
    nelly136

i do not control the replies nor do i assume what they may or may not be, its just a jw news item and this is sposed to be a jw talk site.

i would not wish the death of 46 people who probably have families or the long lasting ripples it would have caused.

i do wonder how 40+ people could walk past a disabled guy and leave him on the coach, but fortunately a total stranger risked his life and saved him too.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I thought you brits were supposed to have such a wonderfully dRY sense of humor.

Let's take it from the top one more time, and imagine that Michael Palin is saying it with that big smile on his face:

"Bastards!"

see? it was funny that time.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

The JW's need to see that there are good people in 'satans' world, good people who are ready to help others, they don't have to read the WT, not even the bible, its a naturall goodness that people have.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's wonderful those guys were so brave, and I'm sure all those JWs are very grateful. Even if they say that Jehovah motivated their rescuers, it doesn't matter. Those guys were fabulous - they deserve lots of praise. It sounds like a really dangerous situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit