Yahoo Clubs - What do you make of this?

by slipnslidemaster 11 Replies latest jw friends

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    Okay, hopefully this won't start a big riot (like the last time)...here's the deal, my cousin (now, please keep in mind, she is NOT a witness) had a dinner party at her house last Sunday. She invited 10 of her closest friends, with ONE catch, every person invited had to bring ONE person w/them. The person could be male OR female and they had to be someone who my cousin (the host) did NOT know. She said it was very fun and she met a lot of new friends AND a prospective mate. Soooo (you know where I'm going w/this) Do any of you think this would be appropriate for witnesses to do? Like, every bro/sis who is invited has to bring another bro or sis that you don't know. Even if you may or may not meet your prospective mate, you may meet your next best friend, who may know your prospective mate :)

Here is one reply:

I can see where the idea would be fun, but I personally wouldn't do it. When you host something, you are taking responsibility for all that attend. Think about this - half of the guests would be total strangers. Face it, not all in our brotherhood are good association. That would be a huge risk to take.

But this is just my opinion. Anyone else wanna tackle this?

Tess

Such love! Just remember folks "not all in our brotherhood are good association".

Here is the other reply from a 16 year old. You can practically hear her saying "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. LET ME DO SOMETHING WITH SOMEBODY!!":

**sorry..i know im not leah....I justthought id say what i thought...yeah...i dun wanna starta riot either***

i would say that it would be fne...as long as you had it CAREFULLY supervised by qualified elders and the group didnt get too big. these groups can easily grow out of hand...there have been more than a few that have...

ok..well thats my thoughts on it...

Crystle

Slipnslidemaster:"The average person thinks he isn't."
    - Father Larry Lorenzoni

• Mum
    Mum

Isn't it amazing that a random group of "worldly" people can have such a get-together and have a great time, but a group of JW's cannot even agree on whether it would be appropriate.

They cannot trust the judgment of their own best friends. Pathetic!

Regards,
    Mum

• Xena
    Xena

Darn them for kicking me off the site, I could have had fun with this one!

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Well, of course it would get out of hand!!!! JW's are so limited in their social contact that they're like tightly compressed springs - give um an inch and boing, boing boing! :)

This is very sad though, and I remember it all too well. We'll have NO fun here ladies & gentlemen - the end of the world is near!

• Tina
    Tina

Hiyas (slip)))))
    Now there's some real stinkin thinkin there,'responsible for all who attend' uh that feeling may be appropriate for a party of lil kids. But to think that about adults? lolololol.........shakin head here. luv,T

Jehovahs Witnesses,Proudly Serving Their Corporate Masters!

• serenaj92
    serenaj92

I like this idea of making new friends. I am a firm believer that its not the name of the religion, its the heart condition that makes a good person. I have started a club on Yahoo called http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/illinoisfriends and have met alot of wonderful, interesting, nice and caring people. Sure some of them aren't my type and I don't correspond with them but i am nice to them all the same. Be peacable with all men! You choose what friends you want, good and bad. To bring people into my home that I don't know would not be good for me, but I won't tell someone they are doing bad for it, I'm not a judge.
    We are socialites here or we wouldn't be posting these messages. To meet people and correspond is something we need to do. Witnesses go door to door, have private parties, so they are the same. You need to do what you want to do, if it bothers your conscience, then don't do it. That is so simple. But the more you condemn or judge others for what they do the more people you are going to push away. All here and everywhere are invited to my club on Yahoo and hope to see you there.

• julien
    julien

I can make a hat, or a broach, or a teradactyl..

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I read from this club daily and what I see is that the one poster wants very badly to do something but as usual per mind control she feels she cannot do anything without pre approval from SOMEONE in the organization. It appears she wants to avoid asking the elders, which is fine, but she wants to have some sort of "go ahead" to ease her own conscience.

My husband and I have had similar discussions regarding this type of attitude and it struck me. I wondered why it hadn't occurred to me before, but this happens (the fear of getting out of control) because:

Sex is talked about all the time as being bad (unmarrieds, anything but the missionary style, oral sex, ...etc.) but then they go on to tell how wonderful it can be between married people. When you are brought before the elders for some impropriety they have to know every DETAIL like it is a turn on for them. With my brother and his girlfriend they asked if they held hands. Yes. Did he get a "woody"? (Their words!) It seems like an obsession with these people and they are like the neighborhood bully who eats ice cream in front of the fat kid (sorry for the terminology, just for demonstration purposes) on the block and makes all sorts of rude and crude noises, rolls his eyes in sheer delight, and says "Don't you wish you could have some of this?"

How would things be if they actually did what "worldly" people do and spend quality time with them and talk frankly about these things so it doesn't seem like life hangs in the balance over this. I read a study once years ago on the rates of sexual promiscuity among different groups of people and it showed that the largest proportion of children that are promiscuous are from strict religious families

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Yes, and the polish "sister" that runs the club finally has some control over something and she lords it over the flock with impunity.

Another thing that I've noticed is that not only do you have to respond with JW speak, but you have to know what's ok and not ok on the board. Otherwise, you get kicked off quick!

I've noticed that as soon as you are negative (no matter how small) or ask a question, bye, bye.

Slipnslidemaster:"The average person thinks he isn't."
    - Father Larry Lorenzoni

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Julien,

ROTFLMAO...you beat me to it! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread!! Airplane is my favorite movie

"Auntie Em, Auntie Em...it's a twister, it's a twister!"

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit