have any of u guys done telemarketing witnessing b4?

by XOCO 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• XOCO
    XOCO

I've just started to come up with this random topic in my head and some of good/bad experiences with telephone witnessing. ive done it b4 but i was so uncomfortable calling ppl and telling them about the bible and stuff. sometimes the person on the other end of the line would ask me how i got that number ?or how do u know my name? i've never had any success. but if its one thing i learned is that the witnesses know how to pry into ppls homes without even knocking at their door or writing letters to them.

any thoughts or horror stories are welcome here

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I remember a thread from about 2 years ago detailing this. In fact, I think it was during one of these sessions that the Flock book was 'obtained'.

The only person I know who's done this is Richie.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Here's one of the threads: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/94914/1.ashx

and here's the one where the book was obtained: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/110725/1.ashx

Personally, I've never done it. I have done letter writing while pioneering. But never resorted to telemarketing.

I suppose you could telemarket on your own and anti-witness. I would not tattle on you if you did that and still counted time.

-Aude.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I never did telephone telemarket witnessing. Never did letter writing either. All of pioneering hours were reached by door-to-door magazine sales witnessing, in-person return visits, and bible studies. It was enough to knock on people's doors with the garbage, but I never did feel comfortable calling people by phone.

• White Dove
    White Dove
    Just try telephone witnessing using a TTY and going through the relay service. Not worth the trouble but does gulp time like a charm!
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Back in the day when I was active, telemarketing witlessing was for those who otherwise could not get out and about in regular field circus. Letter writing, too (I viewed it as a waste of time and money on postage and phone bills to have 99% of the letters end up in the trash or phone hang-ups). Then, when they made it part of regular field circus, I had already faded to the point where my idea of service was to take a bookbag and dress up, walk down a hill where there was barely a chance of finding anyone, walking back up, and calling that an hour of service (with zero placements).

And I never want to try it. For sure, I would not want to pay the long-distance bill. They would do that when it is starting to get late on the east coast, calling people in the Pacific time zone or Hawaii where it is still early evening or late afternoon. That is not how I want to be staying up until 2 in the morning and then having to get up at 4:40 in the morning to go out in street work at 5:30 in the morning.

After this and the pedophile scandal, coupled with the oral sex study article, I think I will stick with posting on this forum.

• XOCO
    XOCO

hey i'll leave u guys this to ponder:

if i talk in a sexy voice and said this about the WT and jah promises and how one we live in paradise we can enjoy oral sex, will u want 2 see that day and want to learn more about it? would u think it would be easier to convert ppl? just a thought

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I did this type of witnessing with pioneer friends in the downtown core of a big city. The whole territory was highrise apartments with security lock-outs so this was really the only way to work the territory. That and by intercom, trying to find someone who would buzz you in. So, It was intercom work on warm sunny days and telephone work on cold, rainy days. There weren't any shut ins or elderly in the congo to leave this territory too. The whole congregation was mostly young childless pioneer couples, the only witnesses who lived in the area. There were so many apartments and so few witnesses they would invite all their friends to come in from the suburbs to help them whenever possible.

So this is how we would do it. We would have a group of about 4, coffe/tea and snacks and bibles out at the ready. You would have a reverse phone number list, legitimately obtained from the local library, (also counted as time by the pioneers who made them up). Then one person would call, if someone would answer we would put them on speaker phone without their knowledge, the rest of us would listen to the conversation and frantically look up scriptures or reasoning book points and hand them to the person talking so they could give a witness. We would take turns calling and keep trying until someone answered. We would try to place the book of the month and then drop by to give them the book in person, invite them to the KH, and voila, return visit! It was actually about as successful as door to door work. Just as many placements and biblestudies started that way as door to door, although that may have been because the territory was not even full worked once a year so everyone was not sick of us down there.

Cog

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

uggggh. I remember that - most horrid - I never did it myself but I did join a group, thank goodness time was up before my turn - it was rediculous. They even had a section in the KM on what to say and that. It never sat right with me then.

• chickpea
    chickpea

phone witnessing ..... we have to dredge THAT up too?

god forgive me, but yes.... not only did i do it, IN MY DRESS CLOTHES, but actually set it up at my home, which was used once a week for service meetings and for 10 years hosted the book study ( i know! i know!).....the PO was a photojournalist and he photographed my youngest daughter and her mate ( they were about 8 at the time) engaged in the act for submission to HQ in the hopes it would be used in a publication...... "oh look at those zealous little sisters"

is there a wailing wall somewhere? arrgh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit