Merging Congregations

by wizardca 9 Replies latest jw friends

• wizardca
    wizardca

I had dinner tonight with my JDub family. My sister commented how their congregation is shrinking by leaps and bounds...they are getting about 50 people attending the Watchtower/Public Talk on Sundays. One of their elders is moving out of the area and rumors abound they may merge with another cong due to low attendance. My grandfather (former PO, current elder and city overseer) mentioned that they might be merging with 2 other halls early in 2008. Grandfather blamed the possible merges on people moving out of the expensive to live in area. But then my sister chimed in that Spanish congregations in the same area are still growing by leaps and bounds. She knows one where they average 250 on Sunday that's looking to split.

Is it that the english congregations have people wising up to the cult status? Why aren't the spanish congregations following suit? Any ideas?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Why aren't the spanish congregations following suit? Any ideas?

Less access to the internet.....?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it cultural. most Latinos are catholic. they convert rather easily. The gringos continue to shrink

• sspo
    sspo

I was going to a spanish cong. for a few months and i noticed even though many of them have been in this country for 10-15-20 years,

many of them still have problems communicating in English.

So it could be they are not into the web and less likely to find out about the lies of the watchtower.

• spartan
    spartan

its not just english speaking countries.

if you check the stats of all the 'western' countries - west europe/ north america/ australia/ NZ/ plus other islands you will see that there is 1% or under, new member growth.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In this country, it is still a handicap if you cannot speak English. Many Spanish cannot, and thus they are locked into low paying jobs. Which limits their ability to access the Internet, while setting them up for that New World where such problems would supposedly be done away with. For the same reason, many are poorly educated (they do poorly in school because they do not readily use English).

I think if they were better educated, in whatever language, they would have fewer problems. That is why most Western countries with widespread Internet access are experiencing stagnant or negative growth, regardless of which language they are using. Even Spain, where Spanish is spoken. As long as they are getting education and decent work, they are not as likely to fall for the scam. However, once they are not getting that education and access to the Internet, they are now vulnerable to the Witlesses. That goes for third world countries as well.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We were planning to build a new Hall till we realized Publisher figures were going backwards and we should wait till "the Great increase" begins again.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Across the north side of Chicago, the dubs had a real problem about 8 years ago.
    The Kingdom Halls were full and property was too expensive. No congregation was
    really making enough in donations to save up for the expensive properties.
    There were plenty of halls, though- just crowded.

Well, it ain't a problem anymore. Some of the English have been split up into other
    existing congregations. Still, there are plenty of empty chairs. They don't need
    new land at all.

The Spanish congregations are still crowded. Still, give them a few years and they
    will get tired of this stuff.

Is it that the english congregations have people wising up to the cult status?

I don't think it's an epidemic yet. There's nobody to replace the older ones as they
    pass, and many are wising up. I do think it will become an epidemic, though. I can
    hardly wait.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Interesting this 'merge' thing I see mentioned here more and more, it happened to my local congs, 4 into 3. In the UK the only field that is growing is the 'foreign language' one... and think about it, if you came to a strange country, felt unwelcomed and unsafe... what better way to establish a sense of community than meeting with people who speak the same language as you?

Give it time, it will go the same way as the English speaking figures.

Poppy

• Mary
    Mary
    My sister commented how their congregation is shrinking by leaps and bounds...they are getting about 50 people attending the Watchtower/Public Talk on Sundays. One of their elders is moving out of the area and rumors abound they may merge with another cong due to low attendance.

Same thing happened around here. The congregation that split over 10 years ago had to amalgamate again, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk......

What's really hilarious is that the churches are packed every Sunday around here. It's always been that way. Doesn't matter if you're Catholic, Anglican, United, Presbyterian, or Baptist----the churches are full. Since the Witnesses are taught that "the little one will become a thousand" (growth in the Borg) and that "the waters of Babylon are drying up" (low church attendance), the exact opposite is happening. Mention this to any Dub and they get angry and simply avoid the question altogether..........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit