violent video games

by 4mylove 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4mylove
    4mylove

What is the watchtowers view on violent games, or any games for that matter? Recently got an xbox360 for the hubby. Stayed up till 1 am! It is pretty addicting.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Just got Call of Duty 4 last month LOVE IT can't kill enough ragheads, soviets and krauts...

• brinjen
    brinjen

I have to go to work shortly () but I do re-call one article from the 70's that classed games such as 'Pac-Man' as violent. Lots of references to short term studies that claim violent video games do harm. Interestingly though, long term studies (not very many done yet) have shown the opposite to be the case. Kids who spent long hours in front of the computer are actually more likely to go onto University, be employed etc. I'll dig up some links when I get home.

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

They dont seem to like violent video games at all ... in fact they dont like video games in my opinion. I know some JW's think that by playing a game like Diablo 2 they can allow demons to enter into the house! The WTS advice to control game play while very benificial has a underlying reason. Video games, of any form, take away time "better spent" serving Jehovah God and the WTS ... but if you MUST play (they know JW's will) they recomend peaceful ones like tennis, baseball, golf, etc.

Here is a snippet from the January 2008 Awake on Video Games:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d9fa691238835

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9c2e741238836

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The Watchtower has mentioned some games as "warning examples." The PO in my hall took it upon himself to slander Halo, which by all accounts is pretty tame as far as violent games go.

I had to give a talk on "Why Violent Videogames Aren't for Christians."

I still play violent games, and guess what? I'm not going to shoot up any shopping malls. Violent videogames do not turn BALANCED individuals into killers. The person must already have a screw loose to begin with.

• 5go
    5go

I wonder what video game caused Jack the Ripper.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Jack the Ripper was obviously twisted by this game.

Pac Gentleman

• R.F.
    R.F.

Sure, I play some of the games that are considered violent, like Halo, God of War, Twisted Metal, Grand Theft Auto, etc...and like SirNose, i'm not a violent killer.

The WTS is against violent videogames for sure. Sometimes I wonder if they're against ALL videogames. Besides, it's just one more thing to take time away from "Kingdom interests".

• 5go
    5go

Violence is not caused by video games, it is caused by lag. DAMN YOU EA !!!!!

• R.F.
    R.F.

Lol @ 5go!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit