Congress to religion..wheres the money? cnn report

by candidlynuts 13 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

it's a start.. hopefully they'll start scrutinizing all religions finances. if there's nothing to hide there's no reason not to make it all public.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/07/prosperity.preachers/index.html

-- Georgia televangelist Creflo Dollar is refusing to turn over any more financial documents to the Senate Finance Committee, even though they are overdue.

Creflo Dollar says if Sen. Charles Grassley wants more information, he'll have to subpoena him to testify.

alt

Last month, the committee's ranking Republican, Sen. Charles Grassley, asked Dollar and five other TV and megachurch preachers to provide him detailed reports on how they're spending billions of dollars in church donations. He wants to make sure their ministries aren't violating their tax-exempt status by spending church donations on personal luxuries.

Five of the six ministries have either turned over documents or asked Grassley for more time, which the senator readily agreed to give them.

But Dollar and his World Changers Church have refused, and he's hired a lawyer. He said if Grassley wants more information he'll have to subpoena him to testify before the committee.

The Iowa senator is surprised by Dollar's ultimatum. "If he sticks to his guns," Grassley said, "this will be the first nonprofit that I know of that hasn't cooperated with us over the last five or six years." Watch why Dollar doesn't want to turn over the documents ยป

Don't Miss

In November, Dollar told CNN that his church was not in violation of any tax laws. "We've always said at the very beginning we have no problems if it's a valid request," Dollar said. "And, you know, we comply with the IRS."

Dollar is making no apologies for living in a $2.5 million mansion in Georgia, driving a church-bought Rolls Royce and having access to a luxury Manhattan apartment. He said the church owns some of his luxury items and he bought the rest with his own money.

Dollar also told CNN he did turn over some documents to Grassley's office and was confident they would be sufficient. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, one of those documents spelled out how much money the church raked in last year: $69 million.

Again, Dollar makes no apologies. His prosperity ministry preaches a form of Word of Faith theology, which teaches God wants the faithful to have the best in life, including material things.

He said Grassley is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong -- in church doctrine.

Grassley strongly objects to that sentiment. "For the focus of this inquiry, ministries are the same as any other nonprofit organization," he said. "It's a question of abiding by tax laws."

Rusty Leonard, who runs an online citizen's watchdog group, Ministrywatch.com, is on Grassley's side. He said Dollar's church should be transparent so donors know how their money is being spent. He said Dollar should be happy to comply with Grassley's request, unless he has something to hide.

"I guess, looking at it from their perspective, they could potentially go into Grassley's confessional and end up walking out in handcuffs," Leonard said. "So they have to be very careful about what they release."

Grassley, so far, isn't threatening Dollar with a subpoena, but he didn't rule it out either. He said he's used it in the past to great effect.

Here's how the other minstries have responded to requests for accounting, according to Grassley's office:

• Kenneth and Gloria Copeland (Kenneth Copeland Ministries): Attorneys delivered material to Grassley's staff on Thursday.

• Benny Hinn (World Healing Center Church, Inc.): Grassley's staff is scheduled to meet with the ministry's attorneys on Friday.

• Eddie Long (New Birth Missionary Baptist Church Ministry): Representatives said publicly that the ministry will cooperate. Grassley has not received any material or had contact from the ministry.

• Joyce Meyer (Joyce Meyer Ministries): Grassley's staff received material from the organization on Tuesday and is reviewing it.

• Randy and Paula White (Without Walls International Church Today): Received initial contact from attorneys who said they will contact Grassley's staff shortly but has had no further response.
  • Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks for sharing this.

• zack
    zack

Congress should compel by legislation that all non-profits, including religious ones, make their accounts public. If they pay no taxes then the rest of us (including those who have no religion or no belief in any deity) are subsidizing their activities.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Good point Zack, and I agree, I just hope the Senator is successful with this and able to implement some reform, especially some reform that might be able to hit the Watchtower without affecting other legitimate churches.

• dinah
    dinah

This story was on the news last night.

This senator is just looking to see if they are truly non-profit. Judging from some of the mansions these folks live in, I would say there's definitely profit. These preachers could have built things for the community and helped many people with all the money spent on their church buildings, homes, and luxury automobiles.

There does need to be action taken against people living a tax-free life of the rich and famous.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

I ;posted a month ago when this all can about. that some of the better WRITERS here send some info on the wts to SEN. GRASSELY. i sent him some stuff just off the top of my head about the WTS. let this SENATOR work for us X JW'S. JUST E MAIL THIS GUY. JOHN

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I am all for having tax exempt entities religion or otherwise having to show just where the money goes. The borg is having local congregations have a $$$ part each month supposedly showing where the money is spent. But why doesn't the Society have to show just where the money goes that they receive and use (supposedly) I really think someone somewhere is getting $$$$ out of this deal.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

you know when you watch those TV preachers talking about how he needs 10 people to get on the phone and pledge $10,000. And you see him wearing a huge gold watch with diamonds, and huge diamond rings, and diamond necklace, shit I don't need congress to tell me where the money goes

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Have no fear Johnny Cip, I spoke with the investigation team today. I believe I did a good job, I stuck with the financial issue and didnt wander into areas of doctrine. They are currently focusing on those 6 ministries right now, but the ultimate goal is for all non-profits to have to show accounting for their spending practices. I let them know that I supported their efforts and that they are free to contact me if they need more info.

• garybuss
    garybuss

We have 5 top businesses here with big buildings and the appearance of wealth.
    1). Government
    2). Medical
    3). Finance
    4). Religion
    5). Food processing / sales

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit