My daughter just ran out of contact solution HELP

by Jez 20 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Yay Nathan Natas!

I knew there had to be some way to do it and I even thought of boiled water but not the salt, d'oh.....saline solution!

• Barbie Doll
  • Barbie Doll
  • bigmouth
    bigmouth

How about Witch Hazel? It's a natural eyewash.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Right Nathan! Salt solution is what is recommended for mouth washes after dentistry leaves mouth wounds and also for women who've been stitchhed after childbirth. It is far superior to chemical sterilisation in most cases and helps promeote healing most usually so can be advocated for contact with the eyes. Is kosher salt sea salt conatining KCl and some of the other halides besides NaCl?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

R.Carusoe asked,

Is kosher salt sea salt conatining KCl and some of the other halides besides NaCl?

No, Kosher salt is 100% Sodium Chloride (NaCl) and does not contain potassium chloride (KCl) or other halides like iodides, nor does it contain the "anti-caking" agents typically found in ordinary table salt.

Kosher salt is preferred by professional chefs because of its "clean" taste.

Don't be scared away by the KOSHER label. Try it.

In my opinion, those suggesting that listerine or witch hazel or some other off-the-wall substitute can replace saline contact lens solution should try it on themselves before they make their "inspired utterances" public.

If you have ever used contact lens solution, did you ever bother to read the label? If you haven't, SILENCE is the best course for you. You could injure someone with stupid advice.

• UU Now
    UU Now
    2. Add one heaping teaspoon of salt. For this use, kosher salt is best, but table salt will do if it is all that you have. Stir the salt to disolve it, then let it sit for 15 minutes so that any insoluable particles will settle out.

Bolding mine. Do not use iodized salt. I give this advice freely based on my own painful experience.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So, UUNow, given a choice between NOTHING and iodized salt, you would choose NOTHING?

What was this "painful experience" you mention?

• UU Now
    UU Now

I made saline solution with iodized salt, soaked my contacts in i, and then tried to wear themt. It hurt like hell. You know how iodine hurts when you put it on a cut? Llike that, only in my eye.

Given a choice between iodized saline solution and tap water, I'd use tap water. I've tried that, too; it stings a bit, but only for a second. My lenses were unwearable after soaking in the iodized saline solution.

Your homemade saline solution is a good idea, but I'd recommend kosher salt, sea salt, or non-iodized table salt.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

UUNow,

Come, let us reason together...

I have a box of iodized table salt. On the label it says it contains 45% of the MDR of iodine in 1.5 grams. doing the math, I figure that the 8 grams in a heaping teaspoon would contain 5.34x as much, or 2.4 times the MDR of iodine. Now: what is the MDR for iodine? It is 150 MICROgrams. So my 8 grams of iodized table salt contains 360 MICROgrams, or 0.00036 grams od iodine. That is a very tiny amount if iodine.

But wait, there's more!

The iodine in iodized table salt is not in the form of raw elemental iodine like it is in tincture of iodine, it is in the form of an iodine SALT. Sodium or Potassium Iodide probably. And as you know, the properties of compounds are not identical to the properties of the elements in the compount.

Does table salt - a compound of sodium and chlorine - exhibit the same properties as those two elements? No. Chlorine is a deadly gas. Table salt is not a gas and is essential for life.

I suspect that the problem you had with your batch of "field expedient" saline solution were caused by a spec of dirt that got into the mix. I know that dirt under a contact can hurt like Holy Blazes. I doubt that it was the iodine that caused your problem.

Science Rules!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit