Has WTS abandoned "house to house" ministry?

by ozziepost 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

Tula,

Interesting point, you seem quite taken aback by my comment.

Jesus didnt care for celebrity, he cared for those who were repressed by a corrupt religious organization and he looked for people with strong character and a natural love for jehovah.

He broke away for social tradition by talking to the Samaritan woman and by protecting Mary from being stoned and a lot of other things that we all know.

Did he go door to door? Well the scriptures indicated he did and its not exactly ambiguous about it.

Have another little read through the gospels, if you still cant find it, let me know and I will shoot the relevant scriptures across to ya.

Kindest,

Jeff

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Well the scriptures indicated he did and its not exactly ambiguous about it.

Have another little read through the gospels, if you still cant find it, let me know and I will shoot the relevant scriptures across to ya.

I'd be interested in that, too.

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

RIGHT ON!

The theocratic response from all the people I have seen around LA regarding the "life saving information" is ZERO. For some reason only people near the "financially depressed areas" will listen to us ... and even they eventually get tired of us run on at their door and say "Well we have our own religion..."

Field Service Before = Alive and Well
    Field Service Now = On life support near DEAD

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    She had never heard of Jehovah's Witnesses! I was stunned. All this preaching work, all over the globe, in twohundredandumpteen countries and territories...

I believe most people do not know or have never knowingly heard of Jehovah's Witnesses. I know plenty of people, even in US metropolitan areas that had no idea who the JWs were and have never had a JW knock on their door or ring them.

When raised as one of JWs, you think that you belong to a super-religion that reigns supreme. Once you get out of your bubble and branch out in life, you realize that the Witnesses are not that big or well-known but their tight social network causes them to appear larger then they actually are.

And yes, no one is at home these days. Most pioneers don't actually place their mags with people, they typically off-load stacks in waiting rooms and bus terminals. This is interesting because other folks are wondering what they are doing wrong and why they can't place any mags. If they only knew that all they had to do was stop by their local dental office, bus terminal, gym (not joking) or cafe, etc and simply drop off their mags. Oh the other thing now, if your drop-off spot has been hit by another pioneer, is to stick any two mags in the door of not-at-homes. You can empty your bag within an hour.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, jeffreywhat, I'd be intrested in those scriptures as well. Where was Jesus, in context, for some of his major public speeches? Is house-to-house the same as door-to-door, that is "cold calls"? When the disciples travelled from town to town and were welcomed in to strangers' homes, was this the same as door-to-door "cold calls?"

http://www.christianfellowshipministry.org/Character/Character%202002/Hospitality.htm

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

Hows the anger.....

Bring it on!!

Ignorantarama!!!

Read the gospels and get back to me!

The burden of proof lies with you!!!

If this is really the Jehovahs Witness forum ( as it is named) then it should be full of those who seek the truth, not those who seek to knock it down, so if you want to challenge, with an end game of negativity, go to catholic.com.

some people on here seek truth, some seek solace, some friendship, some humor, some advice....some seek there own advantage and others want an argument,

If you really think Jesus, our great exemplar, the most humble of all of Jehovah's servants, expected us to go from door to door and didn't lead by example, then I say your blind!!!

• UU Now
    UU Now
    If you really think Jesus, our great exemplar, the most humble of all of Jehovah's servants, expected us to go from door to door and didn't lead by example, then I say your blind!!!

What if we think he didn't expect us to do that?

And do you have a cite to answer the questions you've been asked on this topic?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well then, jeffrey, I'll make it easy for you. There are no examples. Just to show that I can do my homework -

Matthew 24:3 - at the mount of Olives.

Matthew 5:1 - on the side of a mountain.

Matthew 9:10 - in Matthew's home, eating and drinking.

Matthew 9:35 - teaching in the synagogues.

And finally, Matthew 10:11-13, the instructons. When entering a new town, invited in to a local household. See my link above for the social conventions that would have influenced a householder's intentions.

There are more. The woman at the well. Mary who washed Jesus' feet in a pharisee's home.

Now, that's not to say that Jesus didn't preach. Or that he didn't pass on that requirement to his disciples. It's just, that, well, the Witness model brings to mind vaccum cleaner or fuller brush salesmen strolling down a suburban street, more readily than the first Century urban scene.

First century households were virtual fortresses, and there were few venues large enough to manage crowds. Compunded with that is the dearth of printing-presses (not invented yet) and literacy. People received news by word-of-mouth. This meant that an interesting speaker was invited to some large private home, synagogue, or natural hillside, and the curious came to hear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit