Time and a new Granddaughter Heals

by Thirdson 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Some things change and some things don’t but time heals and we all move on. Going back ten years when I first left the Watchtower, went through a divorce and started a relationship with someone who I’d later marry I went through a really strained period with my parents and some of my family. When I married, no one from my family attended our wedding.

Things have healed and some things are no longer discussed, just accepted. My parents, in their 70s now, remain JW’s and although they associate fairly regularly their beliefs contradict official instruction and I have a better relationship now than I have had for many, many years.

All but one of my siblings has left the WTS; we have all done the ‘fade.’ In 2004, Mrs Thirdson, my son and I traveled to attend a family wedding. It was a nephew’s wedding and for the first time in close to 20 years all we siblings met up. My parents didn’t attend. We did see my parents during our two week trip but we lodged on a farm a few miles away.

My parent’s once large Witness family no longer exists, and 11 grandchildren have either left the religion or have never been brought up in a JW family. They have never expressed their feelings to me so I don’t know how mom and dad feel about their 16 descendants that have no hope of surviving their god’s Armageddon. However, in my heart I don’t think they really believe that God is going to kill their beautiful two year old granddaughter any time soon. They may keep their Witness association but their continued contact with their ‘apostate’ children shows they care less about official WTS policy.

I would not say I have a ‘close’ family, though I have more contact now than I have had in a long time. Skype video calls help. I don’t think my parents will ever leave the WTS and the next complete family gathering will likely be a funeral in a Kingdom Hall. It’s not the best outcome, but it’s better than many people’s family experience after leaving the ‘Tower.’ Perhaps this offers some hope to those of you who have experienced similar strained family relations.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for sharing your story purps

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

what a lovely encouraging story

I have a grandaughter too - she's 2, beautiful and very strong. I'm so glad your parents have a relationship with their grandchild -there's nothing like it.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

So nice to hear. I am closer to my 15 year old granddaughter than I ever was to my own daughter. The borg put a strain between us that is beginning to heal.

Time can be an ally.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Thank you. Para and I also hope that someday both sets of our parents feel the pull of the grandchildren and relax their stances.

Bobbi

• changeling
    changeling

Thank you for sharing your progress with us. I'm so glad you are happy and well.

Stories like yours confirm for me that the way of kindness is the right way. That doing our best to preserve and strengthen family ties pays off in a big way.

changeling

• mouthy
    mouthy

That was an encouraging post for me ,thanks for sharing.!

I still have hopes my daughter & grand-child will eventually> before I die >be around me so I can hug em.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit